• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Just recently becoming interested in history and wanting to have a part of it. I am not to the point of buying the real deal yet…. I am looking at reproduction rifles specifically the Brown Bess (and which. variation would best represent the colonists during revolutionary war seems the short Brown Bess?) are there companies I should steer clear of? Should I wait until the spring shoot in friendship to find something?

(I have a modern inline muzzleloader for deer looking)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen some nice looking Brown Bess repros on GB, nothing short of a grand though.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I've seen some nice looking Brown Bess repros on GB, nothing short of a grand though.
    I found a company that has reproductions for $750 admittedly still more than I would like to pay but all the cool toys are always more $$

I will pay for quality I just don’t want junk.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Personally I collect original BP stuff, but don't have a Brown Bess. You can get a historical cap and ball gun for about the same money.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Brown Bess won't be cheap if you want something you can actually shoot. Buckle up for a grand or more from pedersoli, plus very high powder charges and expensive full size musket balls.

A .50 flintlock from Traditions or CVA is a lot more accessible to start with.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Brown Bess won't be cheap if you want something you can actually shoot. Buckle up for a grand or more from pedersoli, plus very high powder charges and expensive full size musket balls.

A .50 flintlock from Traditions or CVA is a lot more accessible to start with.
    Thank you any recommendations for a beginner as far as brand or type of lock ? Want to use it to get my feet wet but also to hunt deer with more traditional equipment

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I killed several deer and turkey with a cut down Brown Bess back in the 90's. It will get the job done and it was a very fun gun to shoot. I sold it and wish that I never had. Mine was a Pedersoli that I bought from Jerry Eder (God rest his soul).

Dirty Steve

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I killed several deer and turkey with a cut down Brown Bess back in the 90's. It will get the job done and it was a very fun gun to shoot. I sold it and wish that I never had. Mine was a Pedersoli that I bought from Jerry Eder (God rest his soul).

Dirty Steve
    I can understand the regret.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pedersoli makes good stuff, but it's expensive. I think Ark has the best suggestion.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thank you any recommendations for a beginner as far as brand or type of lock ? Want to use it to get my feet wet but also to hunt deer with more traditional equipment
    Traditions is pretty solid for a beginner. You can build a kit or buy finished, and Track of the Wolf had upgraded locks if you so desire. 50 cal balls and 5/8" flints for those smallish Traditions locks are plentiful and cheap.

I think it's worth getting into a .50 flintlock rifle first, they're quite accurate and will give you the experience you're interested in before you commit major $$$.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    Just recently becoming interested in history and wanting to have a part of it. I am not to the point of buying the real deal yet…. I am looking at reproduction rifles specifically the Brown Bess (and which. variation would best represent the colonists during revolutionary war seems the short Brown Bess?) are there companies I should steer clear of? Should I wait until the spring shoot in friendship to find something?

(I have a modern inline muzzleloader for deer looking)
    I would suggest to steer clear of Pedersoli. I had one.... did "okay", but the main issue was if you need replacement parts they are difficult to get. Should you decide to swap out something like, say the lock, its a weird metric size and literally nothing is compatible with it. I ended up buying a custom Tennessee southern mountain gun in 45cal. It was not to terribly expensive in comparison at $900.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    It’s funny because until you go down this rabbit hole from the outside looking in muzzleloaders are simple. Mechanically speaking they are but there are still a lot of options and decisions to consider when purchasing.

im thinking a Kentucky rifle might be my best option historically significant ( I know they all are but from the American side of history which I am interested more so than others ) and I can use it for hunting still and seems more reasonably priced than other options.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    You want a rifle that the lock sparks a lot. The Brown Bess isn't the be all. A lot of Colonial fighters used a Fowling gun, shotgun, that would shot both shot and patched round ball.

https://www.americanlongrifles.org Good info and sometimes better guns than Pedersoli for the same price.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    It’s funny because until you go down this rabbit hole from the outside looking in muzzleloaders are simple. Mechanically speaking they are but there are still a lot of options and decisions to consider when purchasing.

im thinking a Kentucky rifle might be my best option historically significant ( I know they all are but from the American side of history which I am interested more so than others ) and I can use it for hunting still and seems more reasonably priced than other options.

any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Kentucky long rifle would be a great first rifle. Can find a nice looking one for a decent price that can give you both that "historical feel" you are looking for, but also be capable of hunting use. I have a 45 cal, and I am not sure about hunting with it. The round ball is decent size, but I am thinking something 50 cal or larger would be efficient. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

ed1838

Master
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    My first and only muzzle loader is a modern cheap cva wolf break action I got it used from a guy that wanted a traditional one. Cost was less than the extras that was included. I only use for deer hunting and been happy with it. It is not a pretty gun just filled the need. Shoots straight only got 2 deer with it so far. They both dropped and was dead right there.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    A .45 is fine and will kill a deer with a shot placed where it should be. I wouldn't think twice about hunting with it.

Dirty Steve
    Thanks for letting me know. I have never actually gotten the opportunity to take it out yet. I am not proficient enough putting holes in paper, so therefore do not want to take it out and risk injuring the animal instead of getting a kill shot.

Top Bottom