• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I dont make it a point to check out all the shops. Most of my regs dpnt have the crap I like.

The market has changed and times are tough.

Wish em all good luck. And if a shop has to be rather specific in merch to be successful, so be it.

Hard to compete w RK and Dunhams ( and similar ) w the " standard " stuff.
    And that before the panic.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I don't know how it happened but around here, beginning a couple of years ago, I became the "transfer guy" for many members of southern Indiana's black community...mostly female (about 60/40 female) and (mostly, either sex) in the medical field.....I think I did a couple for transfers for a nurse and she was pleased with my service and started passing my name around to her friends and coworkers...I also treated a widow lady honestly about her late husband's gun collection and sold it for her...I got her three times what the pawn shop offered her and she got the word around that I was honest in my dealings with her....

I won't say I am proud of that but I am honored to have earned the trust of my fellow citizens...
    i get where you're coming from. in this scenario, that is something to maybe not be proud of but definitely is praise worthy. there are many people that are out to take advantage of any and everyone they can. i try to always do the respectful thing and feel good when i do. i want noone to ever feel cheated or used by me.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd be more interested in hearing about the first Italian to open up a Chinese Buffet! What about the Jew who opens up a German Restaurant?

IOW - who cares? I'm looking for service, quality and smiles.
    There would be complaints about cultural appropriation for profit, I'm sure...

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Did anyone hear the interview with Tony Katz? From what I understand, he's opening tomorrow near 10th and Sherman and has already signed leases to open ranges on the east and west side along with a 300,000² manufacturing facility that should be operational by 2023.

Big if true.

Gun store address is 4485 E 10th St, Indianapolis, IN 46201

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Did anyone hear the interview with Tony Katz? From what I understand, he's opening tomorrow near 10th and Sherman and has already signed leases to open ranges on the east and west side along with a 300,000² manufacturing facility that should be operational by 2023.

Big if true.

i know the area very well...kinda dangerous

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    i know the area very well...kinda dangerous
    The little zone right at the intersection doesn't "seem" too bad... But it's kind of surrounded.

I hope his shop isn't smashed into and burgled. That's happened to several shops here in Indy in the last 15 years.

And I wonder who his investors are? Not necessarily for his shop - but for the ranges and the manufacturing facility? Would banks be willing to lend towards those things in today's political climate?

I also have to wonder how cost effective it is to start a manufacturing facility now, in today's political climate, of that size? Especially when there are numerous already-established machine shops all around central Indiana (Of which, I'm sure that there have to be a few of them that are FFL07 holders?)

I HOPE my concerns are unsubstantiated. I absolutely wish him well and amazing success.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    when i lived in nyc a few years back there was a black guy with a chinese resturant, a chinese guy with a package liquor store, and a moslem guy selling tenderloins. i couldn't help but laugh
    There was and I think still is a Chinese restaurant on the south side of Indy that was owned by a Vietnamese couple with a Mexican guy doing the cooking.. :thumbsup: Great food, before I moved I visited often. If embraced diversity is our friend.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    There was and I think still is a Chinese restaurant on the south side of Indy that was owned by a Vietnamese couple with a Mexican guy doing the cooking.. :thumbsup: Great food, before I moved I visited often. If embraced diversity is our friend.
    most of the chinese restaurants have mexican cooks. i was dining in one years back and the chinese owners were having a very lively discussion with the mexican cooks and waitstaff each in their own language. it was a hoot to listen to

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County

Big if true.

I did hear the interview on Tony Katz as well and thought to myself those are some big aspirations, especially the manufacturing plant. That's a lot of space so I have to wonder what kind of financing is in place for this all to happen. Seems like he's got a plan and I hope it all works out for him but for me it sure looks like a long uphill climb. Best of luck.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    You may think it has no relevance, but the fact that it hasn't happened in the over 200+ years of statehood for Indiana might indicate it is more significant than you might think. Especially considering most gun control in America has its roots in racist laws that were targeted at the black population in particular to disarm them.
    Well said.
    By the Democrat party that many continue to support.
    Well said, again.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    i went past the address and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. anybody been over there yet?
    should've paid attention to where i was. i was right next door @ hardee's. i did notice more traffic than usual at the strip mall but didn't realize it was the grand opening.

they just mentioned it on ch 13.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I wish him the best of luck, a sign saying "Black Owned" ( Please don't burn, burgle, loot, or loiter on the property, ) may or may not help him though in case of an emergency.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I wish him the best of luck, a sign saying "Black Owned" ( Please don't burn, burgle, loot, or loiter on the property, ) may or may not help him though in case of an emergency.
    it never has before. i once considered opening a cell phone shop further west on 10th st. but there was so much loitering on the corner. another business owner in the area had to close because of it. the loiterers shot his place up when he complained to the police.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    it never has before. i once considered opening a cell phone shop further west on 10th st. but there was so much loitering on the corner. another business owner in the area had to close because of it. the loiterers shot his place up when he complained to the police.
    Aren’t cell phone shops right up there with convenience stores as top targets for robbery? I grew up not far from there and the last time or even drive my old house my eyes watered up because of the conditions of the house and the surrounding neighborhood. When I was a kid over there in the late 60’s it was a nice, clean and safe working class neighborhood. So sad to see it today.

grillak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Aren’t cell phone shops right up there with convenience stores as top targets for robbery? I grew up not far from there and the last time or even drive my old house my eyes watered up because of the conditions of the house and the surrounding neighborhood. When I was a kid over there in the late 60’s it was a nice, clean and safe working class neighborhood. So sad to see it today.
    yes they are. but the loiterers had no plans to rob this particular store owner. they were selling drugs.

before my mother passed, i came by her house to do some chores for her. there were drugs & thugs hanging out in front of her house. my little brother & i had to "convince" them her the front of her house was off limits for their business activities.

in these situations the police are of no help. if they do not witness the crime being committed, there is nothing they can do. they don't want to open the can of worms by telling the offenders to move along.

i have been practically begging "parents" to get there children off the street corners for years and all i get back is "it ain'tagainst the law". uhhh...it is. just not enforced because of PC. even before it became a term.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i get where you're coming from. in this scenario, that is something to maybe not be proud of but definitely is praise worthy. there are many people that are out to take advantage of any and everyone they can. i try to always do the respectful thing and feel good when i do. i want noone to ever feel cheated or used by me.
    I have stopped using some of my regular LGS when I saw how they treated people trying to sell a gun. Especially if they smelled anxiety in the seller as in they were desperate etc. I understand business. I am self employed. I understand the whole picture. Maybe I would be more successful if I had a bit more snake in me but I do not.

I have met Indy. He and his spouse are just stellar folks all the way around.

Top Bottom