• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    So, bought a air pistol for use as a pest dispatch and its already worked well. Kind of had the intention of it being a sort of gateway drug to bigger and better air rifles...heh

Sort of want to look at semi-budget air rifles, preferably in .22 and I think I would prefer a pump (I know air canisters require changing out and can chance the pressure as temperature changes).

Any advice on what to look at or for? I think the goal is to take small game without the loud report of a 22lr going off and because the ammo is cheaper / easier to get VERY large amounts. Can even use it to practice when firearm ammo is very difficult to get.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have you looked at the single break open "springers"? They aren't weak like back in the day, come in a wide range of costs and are quite lethal.

Downside is they aren't the quietest air rifle but much quieter than a .22 short or the noise that comes from pumping a pneumatic.

Gamo offers a good starter line and they weigh next to nothing.

Also, don't limit yourself to a single caliber. Do you know they make a .20 cal? More knock down than a .177 but better ballistics than a .22...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Another possibility in the springer line is the Beeman. They have an entry level springer that comes as a 'kit' with two barrels, a .177 and a .22. It weighs a little more but has the versatility.

I pick these up from time to time, second hand, for less than $100. New they run in the $125 range on sale.

PlaysInTheDirt

Plinker
    Dec 14, 2016
    Southport
    I picked up this RWS 34 Pro Compact this spring directly from RWS ($350-ish) just to have a chance for some low cost trigger time when ammo got tight on the shelves again. Still dialing it in but the process has been entertaining and educational. It hits soup can hard and small groups should be a reality after it wears in. Has a retainer clip missing at the hinge but some back and forth with RWS to figure out the right part and all is good now.

Attachments

• RWS34-8-HAM.jpg
      RWS34-8-HAM.jpg
      20 KB · Views: 7

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    So, bought a air pistol for use as a pest dispatch and its already worked well. Kind of had the intention of it being a sort of gateway drug to bigger and better air rifles...heh

Sort of want to look at semi-budget air rifles, preferably in .22 and I think I would prefer a pump (I know air canisters require changing out and can chance the pressure as temperature changes).

Any advice on what to look at or for? I think the goal is to take small game without the loud report of a 22lr going off and because the ammo is cheaper / easier to get VERY large amounts. Can even use it to practice when firearm ammo is very difficult to get.
    First, what’s your budget? A high quality spring piston air rifle can be had around $500. More or less depending on power level and features desired.

A pre charged pneumatic can be had starting around the $250 mark (and higher) you’ll need a foot pump ($200) and a scope to bring out the accuracy.

Or a multi pump pneumatic Benjamin runs around $200

Hope that helps.

jkholmes

Plinker
    Aug 12, 2011
    Mooreland
    I would prefer to stay around the $250 or so mark if possible. I've been looking at the Benjamin series of rifles and I like the price point and seem to hear decent things about them.

Specifically I had been looking at:

But I really wasn't sure if it was a good rifle to start off with, and kind of biding my time till maybe it goes on sale or something.

Top Bottom