• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I've always been a polymer striker fired fan. Love glocks. All of them. Even that piece of crap 45 GAP. I've always wanted a 1911 out of curiosity. Man they look nice, and I hear the triggers are amazing.

So I took the plunge and bought a Springfield Range Officer Compact. Sure I know it's not a high end 1911, but it isn't bottom of the line. All I have to say is holy crap, why didn't I buy one of these years ago. It shoots so smooth and accurate. It feels great in the hand. It even carries nicely in waist band.

i urge anyone who has wanted a 1911 but has never bought one, to go out and buy one as soon as possible. Life is too short to regret not buying one sooner!

That is all. :-)

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've always been on the fence for buying a 1911. Recently moved up from compacts to a sig p229 and I'm really enjoying it. Carries well, srt trigger is amazing. I think I'm almost ready to try out a 1911 and your post reconfirms my 1911 itch.. what's holding me back other than size is the Backstrap safety, how are you adjusting to that, or is it just so natural that there was no adjustment period?

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I'm happy with the springfield for the price. I didn't want to start out with a $1,000+ 1911 for my first one. If it was too nice, I'd want to baby it as a safe queen. And I had the "what if I don't like it" in the back of my mind. So I didn't want to lose my butt on a gun if I decided it wasn't for me and to turn around and sell it.

im already researching what 1911 to buy next. It will be a full size gun. I do know that!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've always been on the fence for buying a 1911. Recently moved up from compacts to a sig p229 and I'm really enjoying it. Carries well, srt trigger is amazing. I think I'm almost ready to try out a 1911 and your post reconfirms my 1911 itch.. what's holding me back other than size is the Backstrap safety, how are you adjusting to that, or is it just so natural that there was no adjustment period?

If you just grip the gun like you are supposed to it is no issue at all.
    They offer grip safety's for a few different grip styles. I run the the high grip grip style that not unlike changeable back straps, push's my grip higher on the gun.
    You should not have any issues with this at all.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    The grip safety doesn't bother me. Don't really even notice it to be honest.

sadly is was one of the reasons that kept me from buying one before.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm happy with the springfield for the price. I didn't want to start out with a $1,000+ 1911 for my first one. If it was too nice, I'd want to baby it as a safe queen. And I had the "what if I don't like it" in the back of my mind. So I didn't want to lose my butt on a gun if I decided it wasn't for me and to turn around and sell it.

im already researching what 1911 to buy next. It will be a full size gun. I do know that!

Stay with Springfield. Loaded or TRP.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I wil second the loaded or TRP

I have three Springfields and love them all. They are good shooters that require nothing right out of the box until you shoot one that has had a little loving done to it.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    I agree. The hammer, thumb safety, and grip safety went against everything I have ever believed in and preached about a handgun. The smooth single action trigger and comfortable grip is enough to make me rethink my thoughts on safeties.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. The hammer, thumb safety, and grip safety went against everything I have ever believed in and preached about a handgun. The smooth single action trigger and comfortable grip is enough to make me rethink my thoughts on safeties.

Once ingrained in your muscle memory it is second nature.
    And the glueman is correct. Once you run a tuner there is no going back...:):

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Once ingrained in your muscle memory it is second nature.
    And the glueman is correct. Once you run a tuner there is no going back...:):

No truer words have been spoken. When I first shot my RO I was completely happy with it until I learned what a tuned trigger felt like.

I have been asked several times if I wanted to sell my CM tuned RO and the answer is always no way no how!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No truer words have been spoken. When I first shot my RO I was completely happy with it until I learned what a tuned trigger felt like.

I have been asked several times if I wanted to sell my CM tuned RO and the answer is always no way no how!

Which one is getting the up-grades at the class...???

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I broke down two years ago and bought my first 1911.
    Had a good deal on a SIG 1911.

What a joy to shoot and to load for!!

wish I had done it decades ago.

Oddly, they seem to multiply in the gun room!

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    All the hype about the safety's causes undo concern with a lot of folks.

Thanks for the pictures oiradio,
    I figured it's more of a mental thing than actually being a real hinderance. I'll have to handle a few next time I'm at the lgs. I have been in this train of thought for awhile, more moving parts/safetys etc = bad. But so many guys swear by their 1911's that there must be something great about them.
    The reason I started looking into them in the first place was purely based on their rich history.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks for the pictures oiradio,
    I figured it's more of a mental thing than actually being a real hinderance. I'll have to handle a few next time I'm at the lgs. I have been in this train of thought for awhile, more moving parts/safetys etc = bad. But so many guys swear by their 1911's that there must be something great about them.
    The reason I started looking into them in the first place was purely based on their rich history.

If you get a decent one like the RO or a loaded there is little to do beyond shooting and cleaning it.

Top Bottom