Not open for further replies.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Do you know your trees well enough to name that variety? I would call that Oak, maybe Pin Oak.
    Yes I do. It was definitely not a pin oak. It was an ash. It still had most its bark. I have a lot of pin oak in the fence line and the neighbors want there fence line cleaned up next year. Looking forward to cutting it

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yes I do. It was definitely not a pin oak. It was an ash. It still had most its bark. I have a lot of pin oak in the fence line and the neighbors want there fence line cleaned up next year. Looking forward to cutting it
    I don't "think" I had much ash on my property, I could be wrong. Some of the dead I've cut had the bark falling off of it. So now I got to go look for some that has bark like that.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    So, is the general consensus that the ash population in Indiana is essentially gone?
    Absolutely not. Missing bark standing dead is one indicator of eab killed ash.

TM is right, that's ash. You can even see the eab trail marks on the couple barkless pieces near the tip of his saw.

Pin oak is in the red oak family. Huge clue to spotting pin oak is downward growing lower branches

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Absolutely not. Missing bark standing dead is one indicator of eab killed ash.

TM is right, that's ash. You can even see the eab trail marks on the couple barkless pieces near the tip of his saw.

Pin oak is in the red oak family. Huge clue to spotting pin oak is downward growing lower branches
    I see that now. I would guess I've cut up some ash not knowing what I had. The bark pattern seems very similar to me.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    So, is the general consensus that the ash population in Indiana is essentially gone?
    The ash borer will be around for years, so will ash. The small ash are not sought after by eab. There will be enough of a population of eab left that as the ash mature the eab will flourish. It will decimate the size class of ash that are appetizing. Then on and on.

I don't see sawlog size ash ever making it unless they are treated.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Ok, let's try a new game, see where it goes. I'm not especially good at this, maybe we can learn a tree or two.

"Name that tree"
    Specimen 1:
    037.jpg
    I see this one quite often around the property. Can't recall if I've cut one for firewood.

Specimen 2:
    035.jpg

036.jpg

033.jpg

This one is the 2nd that spared our little metal shed. I thought it was interesting that it had buds in the crown. Tree measured 65 feet base to crown, and another 20 feet of crown. It's in my next video.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Ok, let's try a new game, see where it goes. I'm not especially good at this, maybe we can learn a tree or two.

"Name that tree"
    Specimen 1:
    View attachment 171261
    I see this one quite often around the property. Can't recall if I've cut one for firewood.

Specimen 2:
    View attachment 171262

View attachment 171263

View attachment 171264

This one is the 2nd that spared our little metal shed. I thought it was interesting that it had buds in the crown. Tree measured 65 base to crown, and another 20 feet of crown. It's in my next video.
    1- black walnut? 2- swamp oak or white oak? Not a 100% sure but going in!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A big cherrie blew over where I hunt. Going out after deer season to stock the landowner and then my pile. 24" at the base, easy.
    We cut camp wood last month at my cabin in Michigan. Lots of dead standing oak about 8" in diameter. Filled a truck in about an hour and had it all split and stacked in another hour. Man I slept good that night!

paintball_addiction

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Sep 9, 2009
    SW of Indy

"Name that tree"
    Specimen 1:
    View attachment 171261

Specimen 2:
    View attachment 171262

View attachment 171263

View attachment 171264

This one is the 2nd that spared our little metal shed. I thought it was interesting that it had buds in the crown. Tree measured 65 feet base to crown, and another 20 feet of crown. It's in my next video.
    #1 looks like Ash to me. I'm not sure on #2. Are there any leaves left on the top that you can inspect to determine species?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A big cherrie blew over where I hunt. Going out after deer season to stock the landowner and then my pile. 24" at the base, easy.
    We cut camp wood last month at my cabin in Michigan. Lots of dead standing oak about 8" in diameter. Filled a truck in about an hour and had it all split and stacked in another hour. Man I slept good that night!
    I have a lot of cherry on the property but nothing that big! :wow:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom