• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I really need to get my splitter going had issues with it and right now the motor is off but that will be for another thread. I rarely use it but it has a hydraulic boom on it that is very handy. Like I said I need to start a thread on it just to seek some help. Thanks
    I've never had a splitter before. Technically, I still don't. It's my little brother's. He got a new bass boat over the summer so he needed somewhere to store the splitter. I have the room and promised him I wouldn't let it get lonely. :D

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I plumbed my garage/pole barn up to my boiler. My wood consumption has increased and my reserves are dwindling. I have one more load cut to move to shed, that'll give me 6 rick under roof.
    I forsee cutting more to get through March in my future.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Cool way to haul logs.. looks like a great way to do it. what size is your tractor??
    I don’t mind the cold and like working in it.. just have to not break a sweat.
    I cut a elm up but didn’t need to split it. Just chunked it up and load. That’s how I try to do it. Only split what won’t fit in the boiler door.
    The ash I took down was about 25” across and I cut most of the rounds in the 12-15” range. Some longer as the tree narrowed. Those will burn most of the day. Thanks for sharing your video
    John Deere 2020. It's about 50 horsepower. With the filled rear tires and blade on the back it weighs a little under 10K pounds. Two logs like those with snow on the ground, it doesn't even work it very hard.

When you hook up multiples and have no snow, it's a little more challenging. Especially without the blade out back for additional ballast...

gin9mXEm.jpg

I too have burned tons of elm. This was my first attempt to split any. I used to just chunk up big pieces and muscle them through the door. But the older I get, the smaller I want them to be.
    And once again I am reminded that I really need to get a tractor. The Gator does good work but obviously doesn't have the haul capacity of tractor. Maybe 2022. Maybe.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    This is my own handy work. It is handier than a pocket on a shirt. Its attached to a kubota L4400. I've pulled out 300bd/ft logs with it. As long as you can get the log 1" off the ground it scoot right on out of the woods. If you take to spinning you can raise and lower and get to moving like the big grapple skidders do.

This arch allows all firewood to be skidded to level ground for working.

Attachments

• IMG_20140913_095525_087.jpg
      IMG_20140913_095525_087.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 20

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My neighbor built one to pull behind his tractor. Looked like what they set the vaults on caskets. Had a hand winch on it. Worked ok but first the log had to be out of the woods. For me nope.. but he cut along fence rows.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well gonna be cutting a lot more wood next year...
    You can say that again.

It's like having a part time job. If I could get natural gas at my house, I'd shut the boiler down tomorrow. But we're stuck with LP so I keep cutting.:rolleyes:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You can say that again.

It's like having a part time job. If I could get natural gas at my house, I'd shut the boiler down tomorrow. But we're stuck with LP so I keep cutting.:rolleyes:
    2 stage furnace and you would ditch the boiler.....and i'm a boiler guy

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    You can say that again.

Yeah I know they eat wood like there going out of style but from all the logging that has happened on my uncles farm next to me I have a million tree tops to choose from at easy reach.
    I drove the truck over today and cut and split some ash. Fields are frozen so its easy to drive to. 20210213_155039.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Furnace hasn't come on here as of yet this winter. I try to manage the size of the pile to keep varmints from moving in.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is my own handy work. It is handier than a pocket on a shirt. Its attached to a kubota L4400. I've pulled out 300bd/ft logs with it. As long as you can get the log 1" off the ground it scoot right on out of the woods. If you take to spinning you can raise and lower and get to moving like the big grapple skidders do.

This arch allows all firewood to be skidded to level ground for working.
    I think this is really cool. As soon as I get a tractor.....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A 12 hour burn keeps the house warm, it's usually 70 when we turn in and 62 when we wake up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When we built this place it was for two old people so it's smaller and well insulated. I can't imagine what people are paying to heat the old house these days.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    When we built this place it was for two old people so it's smaller and well insulated. I can't imagine what people are paying to heat the old house these days.
    I know.. propane or electric is our only choice.. so the wood boiler has been such blessing.. heat and hot water provided. Looked into the new Bosch heat pumps but not sold on them yet.
    Heading out to clean stalls and then drop a couple trees. Have all my chains back and sharp.. 2-3$ a chain to get sharpened.. what are you guys paying??
    Wife bought me one the the new hand sharpener and love to use.. except the grandson lost it in the woods somewhere.. it’s still buried and the files are probably ruined. Have to shop for a new one soon

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Oh heck, I have a 2 yr old NG furnace for my vinyl clad house. I just gave Citizens Energy $292 for the privilege of using their service last month. That was the highest in the last 12 months. I bet next month will be fun too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom