Not open for further replies.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Just can't get a break these days. Found this today hung up on another tree. It was marked for harvest but this happened before I could get to it.
    002.jpg

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Wow, that is a dangerous tree to fell for sure. Don't even think I would want to be as close to it as you are! My first thought if I had to take it down would be to wrap a log around it two or three times and then drop it in the way it wants to go. But honestly, I would stay as far away from it as I could.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wow, that is a dangerous tree to fell for sure. Don't even think I would want to be as close to it as you are! My first thought if I had to take it down would be to wrap a log around it two or three times and then drop it in the way it wants to go. But honestly, I would stay as far away from it as I could.
    That's my eldest in the pic, he's my college student. He's why I don't have an MS 462 yet. :rolleyes:

You've got a good idea. If I can lash it high and pull it toward the camera, it should roll off the tree its hung up on and fall. We will go at it slow and deliberate. I hope that we can at least get firepit wood out of it.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    That's my eldest in the pic, he's my college student. He's why I don't have an MS 462 yet. :rolleyes:

You've got a good idea. If I can lash it high and pull it toward the camera, it should roll off the tree its hung up on and fall. We will go at it slow and deliberate. I hope that we can at least get firepit wood out of it.
    I wouldn't touch that tree with a chain saw period. Every ER visit I've ever had to pay a bill on cost more than $5K, and it cost even more than that for a burial plot and a casket. If if won't come down on its own, paying a tree service will definitely be the cheapest option.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I found this video from early in 2020. So many mistakes. I've learned a lot in a year.

Yep, definitely some mistakes.
    Notch is to big, hinge cut is to high.
    But most importantly, wrong place to stand when making that hinge cut. Stand to the side so the tree doesn't kick up and take you out

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I wouldn't touch that tree with a chain saw period. Every ER visit I've ever had to pay a bill on cost more than $5K, and it cost even more than that for a burial plot and a casket. If if won't come down on its own, paying a tree service will definitely be the cheapest option.
    So, I'm going to call a tree service to come out to my wooded acreage in the middle of nowhere to drop a tree for me?

You're not invited to the wake.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I had 2 oak trees trimmed up in my front yard years ago. Couldn't talk my boys into cutting them. Just drop the limbs and I'll cut it up. That cost me $350. I was saving all from an inch and up for the fire pit. I had a mountain of small limbs by the street. The city and trash company wants $400 for pick up. Nope, the youngest son has a gully that we piled it into. We made 7 loads on a 16 foot trailer, my truck and a 10 foot trailer.
    2 neighbors have trimmed their oak trees down to utility poles just about. Their piles are a mix of big and small stuff 4 to 8 foot long. To hard to pull out what you want. If I could catch the claw truck with an empty truck I would pay him a bit extra for it to be dumped in my son's yard.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Just can't get a break these days. Found this today hung up on another tree. It was marked for harvest but this happened before I could get to it.
    View attachment 105479

The falling method is pretty straightforward, see below. I've been following this guy for more than a year. Professionally experienced and something of a character. He gets into it at about 2:05 and is done by 6:30. The rest is interesting too with his life anecdotes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom