Not open for further replies.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    My MS 460 has an adjustable oiler too.
    It just didn't give enough oil on larger bars even when turned all the way up.
    And when I read that MS460's sold in the Pacific Northwest where they cut down larger trees, came STOCK with the high output oiler (part# 1128 640 3250), I found the part number and put one in my saw.

As to the muffler, I found from people overseas who had the MS 460, that their saws came stock with the Stihl dual port muffler (part# 1128 140 0616).
    In the USA we had the more restrictive muffler to meet USA noise standards, at the cost of running hotter with less power.

I don't consider what I did to be hot rodding it, just using stock parts that are normally sold on this saw in other places.

On the site I mentioned in an earlier post, the people have a modification to the stock muffler that allows for easier exhausting. They also have work to improve the carb. That is why I called it hot rodding. Maybe the term isn't correct. But the changes they discuss make the saw more powerful and easier to use.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    On the site I mentioned in an earlier post, the people have a modification to the stock muffler that allows for easier exhausting. They also have work to improve the carb. That is why I called it hot rodding. Maybe the term isn't correct. But the changes they discuss make the saw more powerful and easier to use.

I think Ed's upgrades aren't hotrodding because he's using Stihl factory parts. I think you're use of the term is accurate too Jon. I have seen some accounts of polishing ports, modifying exhaust, ect. and I would consider that outside of replacing factory parts - i.e. hotrodding.

One of my high school friends raced two stroke motorcycles. The techniques he and his dad used for getting more power are the same; it's interesting 40 years on what I'm hearing about now for saws are the same tricks they used for bikes when I was a kid.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

What you list is exactly that....."hot Rodding"

It is pretty much what any hot rodder does. Get more air/fuel in and get the spent gases out. Basic Hot Hodding.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think Ed's upgrades aren't hotrodding because he's using Stihl factory parts. I think you're use of the term is accurate too Jon. I have seen some accounts of polishing ports, modifying exhaust, ect. and I would consider that outside of replacing factory parts - i.e. hotrodding.

One of my high school friends raced two stroke motorcycles. The techniques he and his dad used for getting more power are the same; it's interesting 40 years on what I'm hearing about now for saws are the same tricks they used for bikes when I was a kid.

Port timing.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

What you list is exactly that....."hot Rodding"

It is pretty much what any hot rodder does. Get more air/fuel in and get the spent gases out. Basic Hot Hodding.

Port timing.

'bout time you showed your face again.. So I had to reference something you're an expert at to get you back in. Hmm.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I just stayed on the safe side and used the OEM Stihl dual port muffler, figuring I'd get the correct back pressure.
    Then when I removed the carb limiter caps, and adjusted it according to an older Stihl manual and advice from the website, it was noticeably a little more powerful (SOME on the forum claimed they got an additional .75hp) and ran cooler.

I was a little nervous to do any more than this, as I didn't want to risk messing up the engine, and it served the MAIN purpose I was looking for, a cooler running engine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just stayed on the safe side and used the OEM Stihl dual port muffler, figuring I'd get the correct back pressure.
    Then when I removed the carb limiter caps, and adjusted it according to an older Stihl manual and advice from the website, it was noticeably a little more powerful (SOME on the forum claimed they got an additional .75hp) and ran cooler.

I was a little nervous to do any more than this, as I didn't want to risk messing up the engine, and it served the MAIN purpose I was looking for, a cooler running engine.

Lean is running the engine a bit on the warm side. To lean will burn it down.
    More fuel and better scavenge of the spent gasses runs it cooler and actually adds to the life/duty cycle.
    Damn Gov. regulations are killing our equipment.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hopefully not off topic. The power company took down several large trees around my parents property. They cut up the trees and hauled off the branches. Now it is just laying in the yard. Dad has mentioned that someone is welcome to the wood, in fact he would pay them if they took it. Otherwise we are going to get a couple large dumpsters and a tractor or bobcat and haul it all off next year. I am going to keep some to turn into a table for my yard. Now here is the problem, they were pine trees. So would make good campfire or firepit wood, maybe wood to sell the city folk for their decorative fireplaces.

Is there anyone out there that wants free wood and some extra cash? He is in between Charlestown and Jeffersonville.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    It’s all about that. There are plenty of threads on the arborist site on mods. A little porting and free flowing muffler is a sure thing. Ever seen the chainsaw competitions with saws that have large expansion chambers? I will look into the 460 mods and might do them..

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Hopefully not off topic. The power company took down several large trees around my parents property. They cut up the trees and hauled off the branches. Now it is just laying in the yard. Dad has mentioned that someone is welcome to the wood, in fact he would pay them if they took it. Otherwise we are going to get a couple large dumpsters and a tractor or bobcat and haul it all off next year. I am going to keep some to turn into a table for my yard. Now here is the problem, they were pine trees. So would make good campfire or firepit wood, maybe wood to sell the city folk for their decorative fireplaces.

Is there anyone out there that wants free wood and some extra cash? He is in between Charlestown and Jeffersonville.

I've been told there's decent business selling firepit wood to city folk. Maybe too late this year?

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've been told there's decent business selling firepit wood to city folk. Maybe too late this year?

Testing videos.

Well the trees were big so giving them some time to dry would be good. Plus it has to dry out so we don't tear up the yard. If someone wants to make some money in 2021 drop me a line. Its close to Louisville

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have a question, why is pine so voodoo here yet all they burn out west is pine?

Because we have much better options...

BTU Values of Wood Species

And the sticky sap present in pine species makes for sticky smoke that will coat the inside of your chimney creating a fire hazard.

That said, I have an outdoor boiler, I burn the s**t out of some pine if someone gives it to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    AKA, voodoo, witchcraft, black magic, dark art...

IDK how it works, but my gutted muffler, carb de-limited, port timed Husky 359 will embarrass a stock 70cc saw.:cool:

I have been around Voodoo practitioners my entire life. Getting a 2 cycle to scream is a dark art that seems to require select animal bones and blood chants.

Seriously, it is timing the event and moving the power curve. 2 cycles make power in a narrow RPM band and matching everything up to time that event is the voodoo. If you look at some of the insane pipes on slicked out 2 cycle bikes and 4 wheelers it is part of the black art. Redefining port shape and position relative to the piston is serious dark arts.

Jazzing up a chain saw is a bit more brutal as it is not able to carry an expansion device to pull the fuel into the combustion chamber in a more well defined and controlled manner. A saw is basically a balls out piece so the way to get there is not so scientific. I have a bored out Pouling. Factory Re-man that sat to long. "G" man here on the forum re-carbed it for me as he tinkers with little buzzing engines. The carb has 2 throttle plates like I have never seen. When he got done with it that thing is way zippier than it ever was. Now I will most likely let it set to long again as I no longer cut our fire wood but a man needs a saw. I did get most all of the fuel out of it this time though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have been around Voodoo practitioners my entire life. Getting a 2 cycle to scream is a dark art that seems to require select animal bones and blood chants.

I will tear into any 4 stroke motor ever made, but if my 2 stroke stuff sputters or doesn't start on the second pull, it's going to see a professional.

I ran my 359 stock for one season. A guy here at work had one with the catalytic muffler gutted and a de-limited carb. I couldn't believe how much faster it cut and how much cooler it ran. He assured me this was easy, so I gave it a shot.

When I was tuning the carb, I had no tach, so I just went by the color of the spark plug. When I was satisfied it was running right, I was still a bit nervous. I took it to the Husky dealer I bought it from and asked him to put his tach on it. He started it up and his eyes got kinda big, he was like, damn. That saw is usually around 12,500RPMs from the factory. Mine was running over 14K. He's not an expert tuner and was amazed at what little work it had taken to get it there. We cut with it a bit and out of an abundance of caution turned it down to just under 14K.

I ran with that setup for about 8 years. Then one day I twisted the end off the crank off. This probably had more to do with me aggressively grinding down rakers when I sharpened chains than anything with the saw.

A friend recommended a voodoo high priest of 2 stroke tuning so I took it to him. He said he'd replace the cranks and work his magic.

When I went to pic it up and he started it up, it sounded sooooooo sloooooow. The he cut through a 16" diameter dead elm log with the 18" bar like it was pine. I was blown away. The saw is back down near stock RPMs but that little 60cc motor suddenly had torque. It's amazing how such a small, light saw can cut like such a beast.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Went back to the white oak today and faced the danger.

2Q==

No, by the grace of God I didn't die.

Here's the barberchaired tree I posted about earlier. Yes, there are two wedges that are pushing it the wrong way.
    001.jpg

There was no easy (and safe) way to bring that sassafras down from this angle, so I cut 5' sections from the crown working my way back to the base since it was close to the ground. Eventually I got the sassafras and the majority of the oak crown behind it down on the ground but what a mess. Took a part of a hard maple in the process because the oak was hung up on it.
    006.jpg

007.jpg

[video=youtube_share;YorIw1kWjPc]https://youtu.be/YorIw1kWjPc[/video]We are going to get a ton of firewood out of all this.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have found the ultimate one-man logging operation! Those crazy Swedes.

[video=youtube_share;ANIylzYqGl4]https://youtu.be/ANIylzYqGl4[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom