• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So, in the four years we've owned our property, we have learned so much about trees in general and therefore firewood. We cut oak, walnut, hickory, beech, sassafras.

Today, some pre-firewooding chores. Playing with my new-to-me Christmas present to myself. Then later we tried to cut rounds off that 32" oak log behind me. That resulted in ground contact and rendering my chain completely useless.
    009.jpg

Here's an old pic of the fruits of our labor. That all went to a good friend.
    002.jpg

It was just pointed out to me that I have posted another pic featuring RBF.
    I grew up on a farm with two (2) wooded areas to go along with a mile of river-bottom along the south and east sides of dad's property...we did a ton of wood-cutting, stacking, bringing to the house and storing in one of the old wood horse stalls every fall...and then had to bring the dried chunks of wood into the house, weekly, for burning in the fireplace during the winter time.
    I believe I was a sophomore in high school the first time dad brought home a hydraulic wood splitter...before that, it was all done by hand using a splitting-maul, a sledge hammer, and a few wedges! Dirty, four-letter word that was...W.O.R.K...but it was fun too!!!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Watch this video. Mike Morgan is my spirit animal.

I grew up cutting, splitting, stacking, and loading wood up to the house for the winter time and watching this video brought back memories of spending Saturdays in October, November, and even into December if needed getting it all done and ready for winter!
    This guy has a real fancy 4-way log-splitter...we just had a single-stage...but it worked much better than the sledge-hammer, maul, and wedges we used prior to dad getting the hydraulic splitter!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have to work on my splitter.. I don’t use it much but it’s nice to have when needed. I bought a Honda 8hp motor to put on.. need to rebuild or replace the 4-way valve. It started giving me issues a couple years ago& I just bought parts to rebuild it. Not enough hours in the day. I was cutting up some smaller stuff this morning before I went to work
    Going to put pontoons on the ranger to get back to the woods. Last week I had 3”-4” of standing water in places. Need some good cold weather!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have to work on my splitter.. I don’t use it much but it’s nice to have when needed. I bought a Honda 8hp motor to put on.. need to rebuild or replace the 4-way valve. It started giving me issues a couple years ago& I just bought parts to rebuild it. Not enough hours in the day. I was cutting up some smaller stuff this morning before I went to work
    Going to put pontoons on the ranger to get back to the woods. Last week I had 3”-4” of standing water in places. Need some good cold weather!
    We haven't been in the woods since the last round of rain. I'm sure it's soggy, and they're calling for more rain and above freezing temperatures during the day this weekend.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I wonder if that's Timberwolf equipment he's using, it looks like the same color, but I could not see a logo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom