• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    Rate my chips. Stihl yellow chain, sharpened by me, shagbark hickory. I decided to buy $30 in files and learn to sharpen my own chains.

2487e1ee374bb5f0226e9928c7bd2429.jpg

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Rate my chips. Stihl yellow chain, sharpened by me, shagbark hickory. I decided to buy $30 in files and learn to sharpen my own chains.
    I've taken the attitude that anything that resembles chips and not sawdust is a win. Man glitter is not the only measure of a well sharpened chain; if the saw with your freshly sharpened chain eats through logs willingly, that is a win.

I think sharpening by hand with just a file (and maybe a flat guide) is not easy, that's why there are so many gizmos and tools on the market to do the work for you. If you can do it, the task certainly brings a sense of accomplishment.

Chips - 8/10

20230525_204938.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I was probably doing more harm than good when I started with the files, especially on the left hand teeth. I’m pretty good with angles and I felt like the guide was hindering my stroke. It didn’t have the depth quite right so I was only sharpening the vertical plane of the tooth and not the horizontal plane.

Sooo… I quit using the guide and I go by feel. Some upward pressure on my file strokes engage the horizontal plane of the teeth. Kind of like a pocket knife, dull is dangerous.

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I kicked off hay season so my time in the woods is dwindling. 4.8 cords cut, split, and stacked in the past 8 weeks. Oak is the primary species that I have down yet and I’m quite glad to have most of the hickory behind me. With a bit of luck, I will trade into a gas splitter to finish this project.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Yeah, I have no idea what I’m doing or getting myself into but being able to cook on and in it was my one requirement. Which DRASTICALLY reduced my options lol and increased the price
    I like it. Should be pretty interesting figuring out how to cook with it. Always wanted a inside woodstove. Just dont have area for it .

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I like it. Should be pretty interesting figuring out how to cook with it. Always wanted a inside woodstove. Just dont have area for it .

Yeah….. I don’t have room either lol small house definitely sacrifices made.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    Has anybody tried bolting just the plastic IBC tanks to pallets and using them for firewood? If I could fill them half full it would e a win.
    I use the cages for storage now but have no other use for the tanks. I don't move them much after they're full.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

2487e1ee374bb5f0226e9928c7bd2429.jpg
    Has shagbark on my property when I lived just south of Lafayette. That wood will go through chains!

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I marked the dead trees with marker paint and chopped the vines crawling up the trees.

Let them dry out come late Oct early November this will be a little better as the oil that is nasty will be reduced.

I would normally agree, but this was a matter of regaining access to part of the property.

I consider the people that are not allergic to poison ivy to be super heroes!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom