• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    Cannot find a definitive answer online. Colleges in Indiana are gun free (by the school - not IN law) and one cannot carry while on campus. What I need to know: Can the firearm be locked in the car? By a student? By an employee? By a visitor? Legally and with no recourse from the school? I found info about K-12, but not higher ed.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The issue is if you are a student you could face issues with the school for violating rules. As an employee and the parking lot you are probably better protected but I'd seek an Attorneys guidence

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Cannot find a definitive answer online. Colleges in Indiana are gun free (by the school - not IN law) and one cannot carry while on campus. What I need to know: Can the firearm be locked in the car? By a student? By an employee? By a visitor? Legally and with no recourse from the school? I found info about K-12, but not higher ed.
    Expect if they find out you have a gun or it even gets suggested that you have a gun on campus you will get summoned for questioning by campus PD and they attempt to tell you it’s against the law to have one there. ask me how I know...........

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Expect if they find out you have a gun or it even gets suggested that you have a gun on campus you will get summoned for questioning by campus PD and they attempt to tell you it’s against the law to have one there. ask me how I know...........
    Good info.

Can you elaborate more on the experience and resulting directions you took?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good info.

Can you elaborate more on the experience and resulting directions you took?
    Summoned to my bosses office ( was employed as well as a student), there the chief of campus PD very nicely told me that he had heard a rumor and as such had contacted the prosecutor to determine legality. Prosecutor said it’s a school and as such a felony. I told him prosecutor was wrong cited the relevant code and flatly challenged him that if he thought I was in commission of a felony that he should do his job and arrest me, that I would gladly do a couple nights in jail for the wrongful arrest lawsuit and the chance to become the test case for indiana.

I walked out of there a free man. I ended up not keeping my campus job after that semester( surprise surprise).

in hindsight I don’t think I would be so bold now. I got summoned over a rumor ( long story short someone must have overheard me talking about firearms with a fellow enthusiast) and I did not in fact have a gun in my possession. I neither confirmed nor denied having it during the interaction I simply made it a conversation about if it was legal or not, I did this because I was annoyed at the shady tactics to summon and question me.

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    It is my understanding that college campuses do not have the same restrictions as K-12 schools. So having a gun on campus (on person or in vehicle) would not subject you to arrest, but if you are a student or staff, it could get you expelled or fired, depending on their policy. Of course, each campus might have its own rules. And I will add that there are other things to consider. At Ball State, there is a high school adjacent to the south side of campus, so carrying around that area is iffy.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    My interpretation of the Indiana Code says the rules of college campuses carry the weight of the law.

I know Purdue rule is no guns on Purdue property, so even leaving it in a car but in a Purdue parking lot or garage would be a violation of the code. If you violate Purdue rules I would think students would face possible expulsion, employees would face possible termination and visitors will be asked to leave or face trespassing charge.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana

Currently, the U.S. has two different regulations for concealed carrying on college campuses. In 20 states including Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, there is a ban on carrying concealed weapons on college campuses. In the remaining states including Indiana, the decision to ban or allow concealed weapons on campus is left to the individual universities. Purdue’s current policy is that students are not allowed to carry concealed guns or weapons of any kind on campus.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It is my understanding that college campuses do not have the same restrictions as K-12 schools. So having a gun on campus (on person or in vehicle) would not subject you to arrest, but if you are a student or staff, it could get you expelled or fired, depending on their policy. Of course, each campus might have its own rules. And I will add that there are other things to consider. At Ball State, there is a high school adjacent to the south side of campus, so carrying around that area is iffy.

That is correct, the legislature backed down to the colleges when they wrote the parking lot bill. They are specifically exempted from it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Indiana for some time now allows carry to public school property but the gun must be out of plain sight windows up and doors locked on said property. IIRC it's been in effect for around 8 years or more. Now I don't know if college campus is different than elementary-high school or not. I would think it would apply to all education property in the state but common sense isn't something politicians have an abundance of.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    First, remember the colleges/universities are NOT schools per Indiana Code. They are treated the same as any business (on this topic).

Second, students entered into a contract. The paperwork they signed had them agree to be bound by the school's code of conduct. Most state "no weapons". If you didn't read it before signing, that's on you.

And third, as mentioned upstream, they are simply an employer (with certain exemptions) for their staff/faculty.

Many colleges do have on-campus daycare, which ARE considered "schools" per IC. Good to know where they are located, so you can steer clear. Many are stashed in the Student Union, which makes the entire building and surrounding property/parcel off limits to carry.

I've carried on a dozen campuses without any issue, as a visitor. Simply a trespass issue if (for some strange reason) I'm asked to leave the property (and, for some strange reason, I don't).

Oh, and back to the OP:
    Can the firearm be locked in the car? YES.
    By a student? YES.
    By an employee? YES.
    By a visitor? YES.
    Legally and with no recourse from the school? Depends on your contractual agreement with the school. Students and employees signed an agreement. Read the terms of your agreement. Visitors have not signed anything (typically). Can still be trespassed, if a school employee wants to go that far.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Part of the concept of deep concealment is verbal. Say nothing to anyone ever about your thoughts on carrying. Be the last person they would guess was carrying in every situation when practicing true deep concealment. Confide in no one. Nobody. Not even your wife or mother. Nobody

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Against the law (a legal issue) or against school policy (merely a local issue) not punishable by legal penalty???
    Cops don't like to have you question them, but you have that right, if you're not in the process of being arrested...but done respectfully, of course, and in a conversational tone!
    OP: I read your conversation with your campus cops and I'm in the same boat...conversation regarding the law, not the actual firearm in question.
    Lot of wise information in this thread...stay knowledgeable and know where you are located and what's around you (example, high school on the south side of Ball State Campus!)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom