Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    :): 2022 Area 5

Screenshot-20220902-144812.jpg

Couple things. In the photo his fingernail is about the same color as the background, making a trigger call in real time with certainty is something I couldn't do based upon only this picture. Also from only the picture I can't tell if the shooter is in the process of bringing his gun to the target, if so I assume this would be considered to be aiming and would not be a penalty.

I am looking at things wrong?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Couple things. In the photo his fingernail is about the same color as the background, making a trigger call in real time with certainty is something I couldn't do based upon only this picture. Also from only the picture I can't tell if the shooter is in the process of bringing his gun to the target, if so I assume this would be considered to be aiming and would not be a penalty.

I am looking at things wrong?
    Very possible this and that’s what makes RO calls so tough to see. The fact remains however that the four rules sometimes are relaxed when one is trying to win.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have been an IDPA SO since 2007 and have run a lot of shooters. "Finger" calls can be easy to miss depending on your position in relation to the shooter. This is being done in real time not looking at a picture that is still hard to determine in still life. Pluss this is a call that is serious in nature both ways, you want to keep everyone safe but don't want to call it and be wrong. Jim.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have been an IDPA SO since 2007 and have run a lot of shooters. "Finger" calls can be easy to miss depending on your position in relation to the shooter. This is being done in real time not looking at a picture that is still hard to determine in still life. Pluss this is a call that is serious in nature both ways, you want to keep everyone safe but don't want to call it and be wrong. Jim.
    Good point. FWIW, baseball games like shooting matches have all been won or lost due to calls. What we hope for is continuity in officiating.

GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    Safety is one of those things that can make things real awkward real fast. I've gone shooting with friends who had a decade more experience shooting than I, but their safety was poor. I don't like being muzzled, thank you. I won't be going shooting with you again.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    “Muzzle!” and “Finger!” are the most important. Tell me, do the competition shooting rules address treating a gun like it’s always loaded? How do RSO‘s know when a gun is being mistreated in such a way?

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    “Muzzle!” and “Finger!” are the most important. Tell me, do the competition shooting rules address treating a gun like it’s always loaded? How do RSO‘s know when a gun is being mistreated in such a way?
    I recently worked a tier 3 idpa match, and the stages each had a cso (chief safety officer) and a so/score keeper (me) and I positioned myself where I could watch the movement between shooting positions, and I made more finger calls at that match than I’ve seen in almost 3 years competing, it just happened to be a spot where it was easy for me to see, and a spot that put shooters in a position that was easy to forget that it was moving from position to position.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I recently worked a tier 3 idpa match, and the stages each had a cso (chief safety officer) and a so/score keeper (me) and I positioned myself where I could watch the movement between shooting positions, and I made more finger calls at that match than I’ve seen in almost 3 years competing, it just happened to be a spot where it was easy for me to see, and a spot that put shooters in a position that was easy to forget that it was moving from position to position.
    But, how do you as an RSO know when someone isn’t treating a gun as if it’s always loaded?

(This is all said tongue-in-cheek, of course. Anyone who knows me on this board is probably sick and tired of me harping on three rules instead of four. I guess there’s always the ignore button.)

:D

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    But, how do you as an RSO know when someone isn’t treating a gun as if it’s always loaded?

(This is all said tongue-in-cheek, of course. Anyone who knows me on this board is probably sick and tired of me harping on three rules instead of four. I guess there’s always the ignore button.)

:D
    In this instance, the rules say you can’t move with your finger inside the trigger guard

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    That’s NRA’s rule number two and Cooper’s rule number three. Again, how do you as an RSO enforce Cooper’s rule number one? (Asking for a friend this time.)
    The speed limit is 70…how can nascar let their drivers go over 70?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Most of this relates back to the club level matches where the mind set still remains its just a local.... Which is a huge discredit to the shooters that want to shoot the bigger matches. I cant think of anything worse that spending all the money and time to go to a lvl 2 or higher match and get DQ'd for something that should have been learned at home. I have warned several people and DQ'd my share, hell called one a Nationals last year. The guy wasn't happy and wanted to argue. but guess what, I wouldn't call it if it wasn't there. plus another RO saw the same thing. There is no arguing a safety infraction if the RO is 100% on what they saw. But then again some people just need to learn the hard way.

Top Bottom