Finally found a Makarov for a Decent Price!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    Marakov.com has a ton of info, including how to determine where hers came from.
    I looked at a few links there, and didn't find anything definitive.
    I was hoping there was a simple way to determine where it's from.
    Based on the pics, it might be a Russian.:dunno:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So, I've said for a long time now that no matter how many guns I've bought or sold, there's only two I truly regret getting rid of: my Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and my Bulgarian Makarov. I bought the Mak probably 20 years ago, back when you could get them surplus in very good condition with case and 2 mags for $130-$150. I had it for a few years, and loved the way it shot, but I was dead-set on a different gun, and unwise with my money, so sure enough, the Mak walked away at a gunshow for a gun that I got rid of shortly thereafter because, like I said, I was an idiot.

For years, I couldn't shake the knowledge that I messed up. However, when I was finally in a financial position to go after one is right around when they skyrocketed in price; it still amazes me what they go for these days! Anyway, had to take the car in for service this morning, and decided to swing by a favorite pawn shop on the way home. Looked in the case, and did a double-take when I saw it; a very clean Bulgarian Mak, with red star grip and two mags. Asked to take a look at it, and when I rolled the price tag over, I couldn't believe it: $200! I'm assuming they didn't know what they had; the older Bulgarian ones aren't marked in a way that makes them easy to identify, especially if you aren't familiar with them. Better believe I put that bad boy on layaway, and hopefully in about two weeks, I'll have some pictures for you guys!
    I bought a Russian made Makarov back in the early 90's for $79 IIRC.
    It was supposed to be in like new condition. However, it looked new and definitely unissued.
    Came with a new holster, and two magazines. It had 8rd magazines. It even had a nice box with Russian writing etc on it.
    I still kick myself for selling it.
    I'll probably never see one like that again unfortunately.

Kalashalite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    SE Indiana
    Here I go, time to spill my guts about the Makarov.

I've always had an interest in Eastern weapons. The Makarov just seemed like a logical choice to own as a companion to some of the communist long guns that I am always lusting after. I like them, I could even see myself collecting them seriously (lots of models to choose from and they don't break the bank even today) I'm embarrassed to say I currently don't have one. I need to snag a Bulgy.

I bought my first one from a customer at work in 2016 for $200 it was an Ernst Thaelmann East German with an old school importer mark (I can't remember the importer but it wasn't one of the common ones) The gun was immaculate 100% bluing and it was wearing the thumb rest "target" grip. Later on I fell in love with a rare rifle I had to have and I offered it in trade for about $300 value. I kick myself in the ass every day for that. I loved that gun and it's the only one I regret getting rid of.

When you have one in your hand, it really makes you wonder what the concept of the weapon was. If you compare it to basically any other military handgun from the time period (Late 50's to 1990's and beyond) it seems like a VERY lousy combat weapon. It almost seems like a weapon that was never intended to be used in combat, and maybe that's true. It seems more useful to execute insubordinates and political opponents than it is in a fight against something like a Hi-Power or Beretta 92 (or any matter of service pistol) It has the overall frame size and feel of an officer's pistol or a detective's concealed pistol. It is HEAVY for it's small size, being made entirely of steel save for the grips. They're chambered for the maximum sized cartridge for a sensible direct blowback mechanism (anything bigger and you have to make a hi-point). They're really simple to use and maintain, making it a romantic pairing with the Kalashnikov.

I believe it was the bare minimum as a sidearm for a highly mechanized infantry as a last ditch sidearm. The Red Army has a very long record of only providing the bare minimum when it comes to crew comfort or even survivability and the sidearm is no exception. That being said they are a very stout and well made little pistol, unique in their weight class and with a good enough cartridge. I'm sure they were cheap to make at the time, given the economy of scale.

I wouldn't want to bring it to a fight against a modern double stack 9x19 service pistol as a police officer or soldier. But as a backup or concealed handgun I think they are more than serviceable.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    So, I've said for a long time now that no matter how many guns I've bought or sold, there's only two I truly regret getting rid of: my Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and my Bulgarian Makarov. I bought the Mak probably 20 years ago, back when you could get them surplus in very good condition with case and 2 mags for $130-$150. I had it for a few years, and loved the way it shot, but I was dead-set on a different gun, and unwise with my money, so sure enough, the Mak walked away at a gunshow for a gun that I got rid of shortly thereafter because, like I said, I was an idiot.

For years, I couldn't shake the knowledge that I messed up. However, when I was finally in a financial position to go after one is right around when they skyrocketed in price; it still amazes me what they go for these days! Anyway, had to take the car in for service this morning, and decided to swing by a favorite pawn shop on the way home. Looked in the case, and did a double-take when I saw it; a very clean Bulgarian Mak, with red star grip and two mags. Asked to take a look at it, and when I rolled the price tag over, I couldn't believe it: $200! I'm assuming they didn't know what they had; the older Bulgarian ones aren't marked in a way that makes them easy to identify, especially if you aren't familiar with them. Better believe I put that bad boy on layaway, and hopefully in about two weeks, I'll have some pictures for you guys!
    Damn you got lucky! I had to pay $400 for mine without any extras but in amazing condition. Hold on to this one haha

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you take the 9x18 plunge with a Makarov, you might as well check out a CZ82. 12 round, double stack mags, all steel construction. Simple blowback design like the Mak and hexagonal rifling barrel. Just a very pleasant, naturally pointing pistol (to me at least).

And then there's also the Radom P-64. This is my "car console gun". Trigger pull is ridiculous, but easily made better with lighter springs from Wolff, which is what I did.

1686345816321.jpeg

Top Bottom