Finally found a Makarov for a Decent Price!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    So, I've said for a long time now that no matter how many guns I've bought or sold, there's only two I truly regret getting rid of: my Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and my Bulgarian Makarov. I bought the Mak probably 20 years ago, back when you could get them surplus in very good condition with case and 2 mags for $130-$150. I had it for a few years, and loved the way it shot, but I was dead-set on a different gun, and unwise with my money, so sure enough, the Mak walked away at a gunshow for a gun that I got rid of shortly thereafter because, like I said, I was an idiot.

For years, I couldn't shake the knowledge that I messed up. However, when I was finally in a financial position to go after one is right around when they skyrocketed in price; it still amazes me what they go for these days! Anyway, had to take the car in for service this morning, and decided to swing by a favorite pawn shop on the way home. Looked in the case, and did a double-take when I saw it; a very clean Bulgarian Mak, with red star grip and two mags. Asked to take a look at it, and when I rolled the price tag over, I couldn't believe it: $200! I'm assuming they didn't know what they had; the older Bulgarian ones aren't marked in a way that makes them easy to identify, especially if you aren't familiar with them. Better believe I put that bad boy on layaway, and hopefully in about two weeks, I'll have some pictures for you guys!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So, I've said for a long time now that no matter how many guns I've bought or sold, there's only two I truly regret getting rid of: my Hi-Point 9mm carbine, and my Bulgarian Makarov. I bought the Mak probably 20 years ago, back when you could get them surplus in very good condition with case and 2 mags for $130-$150. I had it for a few years, and loved the way it shot, but I was dead-set on a different gun, and unwise with my money, so sure enough, the Mak walked away at a gunshow for a gun that I got rid of shortly thereafter because, like I said, I was an idiot.

For years, I couldn't shake the knowledge that I messed up. However, when I was finally in a financial position to go after one is right around when they skyrocketed in price; it still amazes me what they go for these days! Anyway, had to take the car in for service this morning, and decided to swing by a favorite pawn shop on the way home. Looked in the case, and did a double-take when I saw it; a very clean Bulgarian Mak, with red star grip and two mags. Asked to take a look at it, and when I rolled the price tag over, I couldn't believe it: $200! I'm assuming they didn't know what they had; the older Bulgarian ones aren't marked in a way that makes them easy to identify, especially if you aren't familiar with them. Better believe I put that bad boy on layaway, and hopefully in about two weeks, I'll have some pictures for you guys!
    That’s an awesome price!! I have the exact same regret, my old Bulgarian Makarov, sold it off probably 7-8 years ago.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Nice score on the Bulgy Mak. I miss the one I used to own and have been wanting to find another at some point.
    WOW! I wish I had seen it first! I am a Mak lover and have collected them over the years. The Bulgarian is the workhorse of the Makarovs but the East Germans are the elite. I am ever on the lookout for them but now days, they are as rare as hen's teeth. Again, good find!

KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Well, I couldn't wait, and was able to move things around so that I could pick up the Mak today! Hoping to tear it down to the frame and clean it (there's still some cosmolene stuck in the nooks and crannies inside), and pick up a .380 conversion barrel so that I can actually shoot the thing.

Attachments

• PXL_20230528_032702998.jpg
      PXL_20230528_032702998.jpg
      913.8 KB · Views: 27

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Well, I couldn't wait, and was able to move things around so that I could pick up the Mak today! Hoping to tear it down to the frame and clean it (there's still some cosmolene stuck in the nooks and crannies inside), and pick up a .380 conversion barrel so that I can actually shoot the thing.
    Looks really good! 9x18 Mak ammo is about (or less) than .380 and has a bit more power. It isn't too hard to find, either. 9mm=9x19, 9Mak=9x18 and .380=9x17.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    WOW! I wish I had seen it first! I am a Mak lover and have collected them over the years. The Bulgarian is the workhorse of the Makarovs but the East Germans are the elite. I am ever on the lookout for them but now days, they are as rare as hen's teeth. Again, good find!
    I've got an East German that I think I bought here on INGO a few years ago. They're solid pistols for sure.

ben142266

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2023
    Aurora
    I missed out on 2 maks about 3 years ago for $200 a piece, they were in ok shape, not great but not terrible either. Great price to find one for these days, I can't seem to find any under $400 when I see them

Lpherr

Occupied
    Is there a distinctive way to identify the origin of one?
    My sister has one, that she never carries anymore, and I might be able to get it from her.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I've had everything but the Chinese. I am also always on the lookout for them. The one that I will not part with is my German. Got it at an auction for $64 , it was missing the safety/ spring. With the parts I'm at a $100. That was about 15 years ago
    I have one of the Russian Imez double-stakarovs. Got it a couple years ago as part of a really nice package deal that included a Chinese tokarev, a Nagant revolver, some ammo for each, a spare mag each for the Mak and Tok, a holster for the Nagant, and a threaded barrel for the Mak for $800.

Top Bottom