• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The problem is most tanks dont have a standard nitrogen valve/connector so the breathing air compressors wont connect. And why would a fire dept bother to fill a tank? Its not their job. Filling high pressure tanks is not without risk.

Buy an PCP air compressor and DIY. Buy once cry once.
    I was unaware of the possible problems and had heard of fire departments willing to help out. When I buy my first PCP I plan on doing just what you suggest. Substantial initial outlay to achieve what I seek. Close to $5000 with scope and compressor and pellets.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was unaware of the possible problems and had heard of fire departments willing to help out. When I buy my first PCP I plan on doing just what you suggest. Substantial initial outlay to achieve what I seek. Close to $5000 with scope and compressor and pellets.
    Im happy to hear a FD would be neighborly. Maybe its a big city thing, but its surprising they'd help in that way. Or even had the correct connectors/valves to do it.

Anytime you fill a vessel to 3000+ PSI you risk a potentially fatal rupture. They actually have special machines that they put the SCBA tanks into to fill them. Its hard to describe but it has a compartment that tilts out. you drop the cylinder into the ring of plate steel, hook it up and tilt it back upright and close the plate steel door. In theory if it blows, all the pressure goes out the bottom safely and shrapnel is held inside. But still.

I work for a fire protection company that sells and services breathing air systems. My (IT) dept actually uses a 20lb CO2 tank with a nitrogen valve that we refill with breathing air to use as a giant can of air. We cant use regular compressor air for blowing out computers due to oil and moisture issues. So rather than go broke on expensive canned air, we have this refilled to be much more economical. They only refill my tank to 1200, but I still dont want to be around when they do it.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    Im in Bloomington and have a small compressor that I fill my tanks with.
    If you get a 4500 psi carbon fiber tank and know someone with the fire department,they fill there own tanks.
    There has to be somewhere close to you that fills tanks.
    So if I buy the compressor is there a need for a scuba tank still? Or would it be just as easy to fill small tank directly from the compressor?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No need for a tank if you buy the compressor. Two other options that I know of is a hand pump or a paintball tank that you could get filled at a paintball park.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    So if I buy the compressor is there a need for a scuba tank still? Or would it be just as easy to fill small tank directly from the compressor?
    Might give these guys a call and ask. Located between Knox And Winamac. I know it's not real close, but it's not terrible.

cg21

Master
    May 5, 2012
    I didn’t realize hpa and nitrogen are interchangeable that helps my brain figure these things out now

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Many major fire and police departments have dive teams. It would be worth a call and see who fills their tanks. Is Goose's Scuba Shack or Lake County Diver's Shop close to you? Be aware that scuba tanks require regular inspections and pressure testing. That adds time in the shop and money.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Many major fire and police departments have dive teams. It would be worth a call and see who fills their tanks. Is Goose's Scuba Shack or Lake County Diver's Shop close to you? Be aware that scuba tanks require regular inspections and pressure testing. That adds time in the shop and money.
    Paintball hpa tanks also require certification every five years...

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Call Dunham's in LaPorte. I may be misremembering but I thought I saw a sign there about filling for pcp guns there?

You might try to contact @Bratch1976 here on the forum. He uses pcp guns extensively for reading so I'm sure he has a full solution.

Top Bottom