Field expedient amputation and wool blankets.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I know, garish topic but...someone asked me about it. In a last ditch, true blue oh sh*t situation would a medium tooth camp saw (like a Gomboy or the like) be able to do the job?

Separate but happier topic: What's the minimum acceptable % wool content for a blanket that will still get me the water repellent and stay warm while wet qualities?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I am not a doctor, but having held a few half or partially severed limbs in my hands, I believe it is dependent on the proximity to the adjacent joint and artery, and the cause of the trauma. I believe it may not be the first choice to saw but instead to defer to the nearest joint. Sawing as you described would be certainly possible. The scenario that a decision like that would be likely is one I pray that I never have to encounter.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I am not a doctor, but having held a few half or partially severed limbs in my hands, I believe it is dependent on the proximity to the adjacent joint and artery, and the cause of the trauma. I believe it may not be the first choice to saw but instead to defer to the nearest joint. Sawing as you described would be certainly possible. The scenario that a decision like that would be likely is one I pray that I never have to encounter.
    Dang, never thought about moving to the next joint up. Actually, never thought about this at all til someone asked me about it. The whole thing brings to mind Civil War field hospital surgery. :puke:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Separate but happier topic: What's the minimum acceptable % wool content for a blanket that will still get me the water repellent and stay warm while wet qualities?
    Depends on what the other material(s) in the blend are.

Nylon or polyester will make it much more durable without a ton of sacrifice, but you lose some warmth and breathability in the process. So a 225 GSM wool blend may only keep you warm more like a 175. Breathability matters less (to me) with a blanket than with some other items. With baselayers, caps, blankets, etc. I always opt for 100% wool. Things that require extra durability (specifically socks), I am good with 60%+ wool and nylon or polyester for the rest.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I attended an mass casualty preparedness class for doctors, nurses, and paramedics. We were given instruction on in the field amputation. It included a video of a BTK amputation on a cadaver. Not something I would ever want to do.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I won't buy/wear wool sox with less than 85% wool. I would guess that would hold true for the blanket as well
    Yeah, I maybe should have specified further. In winter most of my socks are 100% wool, but I wear at least partially wool socks every day year-round. Thin, summer-weight socks made entirely of wool break down relatively quickly for me.

Top Bottom