Felony charge to carry if not 23 YO next March?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Damsel380

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2021
    Plainfield, IN
    Curious I read over the House Bill 1369. My little brother is turning 21 next month, it says it will be a class 5 felony charge to carry if you're under the age of 23. How is this going to apply if someone under age already has their LTCH?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Curious I read over the House Bill 1369. My little brother is turning 21 next month, it says it will be a class 5 felony charge to carry if you're under the age of 23. How is this going to apply if someone under age already has their LTCH?

That's if they are convicted of a crime as a juvenile that is equivilent to a felony IIRC. 1369 died in committee in the Senate last Spring. Despite passing 65-31.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

"is less than 23 years of age; and (B) has an adjudication as a delinquent child for an act described by IC35- 47-4-5 (unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon);

emphasis added. For a crime to occur, all prongs must be met. There are two prongs there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That was some misinformation some "pro" gun groups put out. To fund raise.
    And claim certain pro-gun politicians were "anti" gun.

I can't remember the name now.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Since you're still learning and appear to want to be involved, here's an actual age related odd quirk of our laws. You're supposed to be allowed to carry a handgun at 18, but you can't legally purchase one until 21, and buying a firearm for someone else is an illegal "straw purchase"... So, how does one aged 18-20 legally exercise their rights?

I only point this out because as more people understand the complete absurdity of our gun laws then more people will start rejecting them. Most people when they first join the community have no idea how ridiculous all of it is. The more folks on the younger end of the scale see it, the better the future looks for all of us.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Since you're still learning and appear to want to be involved, here's an actual age related odd quirk of our laws. You're supposed to be allowed to carry a handgun at 18, but you can't legally purchase one until 21, and buying a firearm for someone else is an illegal "straw purchase"... So, how does one aged 18-20 legally exercise their rights?

I only point this out because as more people understand the complete absurdity of our gun laws then more people will start rejecting them. Most people when they first join the community have no idea how ridiculous all of it is. The more folks on the younger end of the scale see it, the better the future looks for all of us.
    Huh? You can buy from private sales if you’re 18

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    You are correct sir! NAGR is nothing but scam artists. The next words I want to type? I'd have to ban myself or get CM to do it for me.
    Their Indiana wing had a hand in killing the constitutional carry bill this year as I understand. They seem to have it in their loony heads that Guy Relford and Jim Lucas are no friends to the second amendment as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Two .45 Long Colts at Premier Arms gave me a teaching opportunity a couple years back. Both 4 3/4" barrels, the new Uberti required a LTCH to carry. The Colt made in 1892 next to it did not. Same gun...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Huh? You can buy from private sales if you’re 18

Another bump in the road of our ridiculous laws. You can't buy one at a dealer at 18.

I promise you that I wasn't the smartest 18 year old when I was 18, but I for sure thought that you couldn't just buy a gun from a person. Most people think you need to give a freaking DNA sample... OR... they just hand them out for free at gun shows.

It's never in the middle.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

If they have an LTCH, they’re good to carry.

If they’re under 21, they can’t buy a handgun from a store, but they can buy it from a private individual.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Their Indiana wing had a hand in killing the constitutional carry bill this year as I understand. They seem to have it in their loony heads that Guy Relford and Jim Lucas are no friends to the second amendment as well.
    Yup.
    This is what they do.
    Try to get money from gun owners thru scare tactics, and then attack people doing the actual leg work.
    :xmad:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As pointed out, private party sales are ok for 18 year olds. It's also not always a straw purchase to buy a gun for someone else. If you are buying it as a gift to give someone else, that's not a straw purchase. A straw purchase is person A gives Person B the money to buy a gun for Person A. Person B can use their own money to purchase a gun to gift to Person A with no issues. You can also lend guns, so I could just let my son borrow one of my handguns until he's 21, etc.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Please be aware that:

1. The Indiana General Assembly is not full time. We have sessions of the General Assembly early in the year, every year since the 1970s when Indiana amended its constitution to include yearly sessions (my father voted for this and proclaims this is the only vote he would like to have back).

2. Numerous bills are proposed each year. Just because a bill is proposed does not mean it is law. It must pass the House and Senate. (Despite INGO's pet topic [it is used as an excuse not to act], it is not necessary for the Indiana Gov. to "sign" a bill and his veto is largely symbolic as vetoes can be overridden by majorities). HB1369 failed in the Senate.

3. Those adjudicated JDs (juvenile delinquents, not juris doctorates) with felony convictions if they had been adults have not been "proper persons" to carry handguns under Indiana law for over 40 years. The heightened criminalization is to attack racial minorities in Marion and Lake counties who are blamed for increased, or perceived increased, crime rates.

I applaud your intellectual curiousity. The first step is to ask questions. Here are a few additional resources concerning Indiana's legislative process:

Former LSA** attorney and my neighbor:

https://www.masson.us/blog/

**LSA, Legislative Services Agency=>https://www.ncsl.org/blog/2017/03/07/indiana-legislative-services-agency-celebrates-50-years.aspx

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Another bump in the road of our ridiculous laws. You can't buy one at a dealer at 18.

I promise you that I wasn't the smartest 18 year old when I was 18, but I for sure thought that you couldn't just buy a gun from a person. Most people think you need to give a freaking DNA sample... OR... they just hand them out for free at gun shows.

It's never in the middle.
    Max, stealing this for my next seminar. DNA or free!

Top Bottom