• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have an acquaintance at work who stole a car in S. Carolina when he was 18. As far as I know, he has never been in any sort of trouble since moving here 15 or so years ago. He loves to hunt, and makes full use of muzzleloaders. Personally, I'd say for someone like him, the prohibition should fall away after 5 years or so. I also subscribe to the "debt paid " theory. Either he belongs in prison, or fully free.

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    Is it legal in the state of Indiana for a felon to own black powder for hunting or self defense?
    I know a bunch of people back in California who carry without a permit, simply because the democrats have had their way.

We would rather be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.

EMT-Alex

Plinker
    Jun 8, 2021
    Anderson
    I have an acquaintance at work who stole a car in S. Carolina when he was 18. As far as I know, he has never been in any sort of trouble since moving here 15 or so years ago. He loves to hunt, and makes full use of muzzleloaders. Personally, I'd say for someone like him, the prohibition should fall away after 5 years or so. I also subscribe to the "debt paid " theory. Either he belongs in prison, or fully free.

Hopefully he gets his rights restored. I believe in the same exact thing.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I carried in Cali semi-legal. Full time military carrying a 1911 on base = to me carrying my 9mm off base. I had keys to the armory and wouldn't want anyone to get the mitts on 'em. Local cops just looked the other way when I told them where I worked.

KJK45

Plinker
    Feb 15, 2021
    Bloomington
    Heres the thing, there are many NON SVFs with things such as Felony 6s. My ex being one of them. She was caught with a forged check some knuckleheads gave her and got check fraud (Not MD theft) but a Felony, so she carries a black powder revolver for protection. Is it legal? I think so, thats what good ol suit n tie said. Its a lot of bull&#$% but I feel its proficient for when I leave my son there for the weekend.

mike4sigs

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Think of 2 parallel railroad tracks. Track 1, Federal; Track 2, State.

Federal: does not regulate muzzleloaders. "Title 0". Legal for felons to buy, sell, possess.

State: prohibits ALL firearms, even muzzleloaders, IF SVF or Domestic Battery conviction(s). (Indiana's prohibitions are narrower, but deeper--ALL firearms).

Threshold question: WHAT IS THE CONVICTION?
    BINGO
    Allen County Indiana arrested a freinds son for having A muzzle loader in the truck

mike4sigs

Master
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Heres the thing, there are many NON SVFs with things such as Felony 6s. My ex being one of them. She was caught with a forged check some knuckleheads gave her and got check fraud (Not MD theft) but a Felony, so she carries a black powder revolver for protection. Is it legal? I think so, thats what good ol suit n tie said. Its a lot of bull&#$% but I feel its proficient for when I leave my son there for the weekend.
    CAREFUL
    they can be charged with a Felon in Possession of a Dangerouus weapon .
    Seen A freinds son get in deep DOO DOO over this

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I thought muzzleloaders weren't firearms.

Some firearms can be muzzeloaders though (example: Thompson Center Encore/Contender).

Was thinking that the basis for the FX model......was a muzzleloader only, would not accept other modern cartridge barrels.

Ignition: 209 vs cap.....didn't know if that figured into it. Was discussion way back about ignition systems playing into whether or not the rifle was to be considered "primitive" for special seasons.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I thought muzzleloaders weren't firearms.

Some firearms can be muzzeloaders though (example: Thompson Center Encore/Contender).

Was thinking that the basis for the FX model......was a muzzleloader only, would not accept other modern cartridge barrels.

Ignition: 209 vs cap.....didn't know if that figured into it. Was discussion way back about ignition systems playing into whether or not the rifle was to be considered "primitive" for special seasons.
    Please remember that you have two (2) parallel railroad tracks, federal and Indiana.

Under federal law, a muzzleloader is NOT a firearm.

Under Indiana law, it is.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Before I came to this conclusion, I would have to know the history of how felons in possession of weapons were treated under the law at the time the 2nd Amendment was proposed and ratified and any discussion thereof.
    Correct me if I error but is not the SCOTUS going to hear a case for allowing non-violent felons to once again posses firearms and ammunition?
    IDNR the exact particulars of the stipulations of the case but pretty sure the SCOTUS agreed to here it.

Top Bottom