• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have a pair of Oboz Sawtooth that I use for backpacking. Really comfortable on my feet. Had to go up a half size. Good socks are helpful too.

For hiking/backpacking in the Indy area I would start at Rusted Moon. They have knowledgeable, helpful salespeople. Not just whoever got to wear the Shoe Department vest for the day.
    Oops wrong model. I have Oboz Bridger boots.

Attachments

• 05F74142-60D1-4ABB-8D7C-12CE97181314.jpeg
      05F74142-60D1-4ABB-8D7C-12CE97181314.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 4

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've used several models of Irish Setter and Danner boots over the years and they've been good but I've found the Cabela's branded Iron Ridge boots to be more comfortable and more waterproof not to mention cheaper. I'm not sure how well they will hold up to serious hiking but then again I've had Danner's that didn't hold up very long for daily wear.

I'm assuming you mean rubber boots when you say "duck boots", some of them can be comfortable. The ones with a proper sole and arch support are far more comfortable than the ones with a square heel and a significant gap between the heel and toe area. I've found the Cabelas and Lacrosse brands to be comfortable but I would wait to buy a pair when they go on sale after hunting season. Expect to replace them every couple years though.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    When I was in College, I tore up my right ankle and now I wear ankle height hiking style boots almost exclusively. For dress I have some partial quill ostrich cowboy boots...

I've found that Caterpillar boots are very comfortable and I have steel toed ones for wearing in the factory, but the very top of the boots wears out before the rest of the boot and typically have to replace them at just over a year.

Over the years I've had the best success with Merrill or Timberland boots and either goes several years of daily continual wear. I just bought a new pair of Merrills over the weekend and hoping they are the same.

--Rick

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I work in Red Wing boots between 45 & 50 hours per week.
    I play in Irish Setters! I have swamp boots, uninsulated, medium insulation, and frigid insulated boots. I require my feet to be dry and warm, and all can be walked in. (Believe it or not the tall, insulated, and vinyl coated swampers are comfortable to walk in as long as you are not trying to go fast.)
    I have been to the main store in Red Wing, Minnesota, if you ever get the opportunity you should try to stop in.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Boot snob here…

Keep in mind everyone’s feet are different so what’s comfy for one person may not be for another. Cabela’s and REI both have a good sampling of boots to try on…so you are already off to a good start.

You mentioned Salomon. These are comfortable for me. My feet like Vibram soles. These will perhaps be a step up from Merrill or Timberland, but in all honesty I really like the couple pairs of Timberlands I have. They keep my feet dry in wet grass and are comfortable for yard work or short hikes.

Danner….I have 3 pairs. Good combination of style, comfort, and quality.

More expensive options would be Crispi or Kennetrek. These are more hunting style boots or mountain boots. Both high quality. The Crispi was easy to break in and super comfy.

Red Wing….going to offend the crowd here…but for my feet…these suck compared to the others mentioned. Red Wing makes some really nice looking boots and I’m sure some are more comfortable than others. I was tempted by some really nice looking boots that were more for casual wear than work…I’ve had them 3 years now and they are just now breaking in….and by breaking in I mean tolerable to wear for more than a few hours. I’ve switched insoles, tried different socks, and suffered through wearing them around the house in hopes for them to soften up a bit. If I hadn’t paid so much for them, I would have given them away by now.

Lots of other good brands…just try before you buy or be ok with ordering a few different pairs and returning what you don’t like.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have had good luck with Merrels.
    I am currently wearing these Merrels in the woods. I've not had them a year yet but they are comfortable all day.

Hoosierdaddy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2015
    Camby
    I bought a set of Muck for treestand hunting about 10yrs ago and wouldn’t look back. They are very comfortable and wear like tennis shoes, when you doing a long walk. been a great all around boot when in the woods for a walk and waterproof is a benefit.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Red Wing….going to offend the crowd here…but for my feet…these suck compared to the others mentioned. Red Wing makes some really nice looking boots and I’m sure some are more comfortable than others. I was tempted by some really nice looking boots that were more for casual wear than work…I’ve had them 3 years now and they are just now breaking in….and by breaking in I mean tolerable to wear for more than a few hours. I’ve switched insoles, tried different socks, and suffered through wearing them around the house in hopes for them to soften up a bit. If I hadn’t paid so much for them, I would have given them away by now.
    My feet hated my iron rangers for a very long time. They finally came around and either broke my foot or my foot finally broke them. Now they are comfortable to wear out to dinner shopping ect. What I bought them for.
    The moc toe red wings broke in quickly. Wear out quicker also. More comfortable that the iron ranger.
    now the 1000 mile. I have had them the longest. I cannot get them to break in. I think I will give it a try again this fall. Bringing something else to change into.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Like a lot of things, buy the right tool for the job.

There are SOME tools that are better jacks of all trades than others.

Muck boots are essentially one-trick ponies. And that's all they're meant to be.

Duck boots MAY work - but they're mainly for light work around your house/yard and going to/from work in wet and snowy weather. There may be some hard-use duck boots out there, I suppose. But seriously - many of them are aimed at casual / fashion wear.

If you're going to be hiking - you really don't want a heavy super stiff safety toe work boot. Will they work in a pinch? Yes - I've done it (but I also had hiking-style work boots at the time)

For essentially day hiking without a loaded backpack - buy your choice of any number of quality brands for WP hiking boots. Merrell, Keen, Teva, Oboz, Vasque, Salomon, etc etc etc.

If you're going to be hiking with a loaded backpack - then you'll have to up your boot game to something that'll give you both more ankle and footbed support. I'm not really familiar with many of those brands, but I do know that Vasque makes some. Salomon may too.

For me - my main hiking boots over the last 10 years have been Tevas. Two different pairs. Both waterproof. They hold up quite quite well under my large self in any manner of day hiking that we do. Wet or dry.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Boot snob here…

Keep in mind everyone’s feet are different so what’s comfy for one person may not be for another. Cabela’s and REI both have a good sampling of boots to try on…so you are already off to a good start.

You mentioned Salomon. These are comfortable for me. My feet like Vibram soles. These will perhaps be a step up from Merrill or Timberland, but in all honesty I really like the couple pairs of Timberlands I have. They keep my feet dry in wet grass and are comfortable for yard work or short hikes.

Danner….I have 3 pairs. Good combination of style, comfort, and quality.

More expensive options would be Crispi or Kennetrek. These are more hunting style boots or mountain boots. Both high quality. The Crispi was easy to break in and super comfy.

Lots of other good brands…just try before you buy or be ok with ordering a few different pairs and returning what you don’t like.
    Dude, you are the Boot King! :D

Thanks to all who have replied. Sadly I had a car problem and had to spend my boot money on the car. Will hopefully be back in the market in November and will follow up with what I decide to do.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :twocents: on Merrells...

I used to be exclusively Merrells, but have bought my last pair. Their shoes do not pass the time test well.

I keep several pairs around for different uses. Often these boots do not get a whole lot of use, but are there when needed for specifics. Too many times Merrel's have failed either in the glue that holds them together or composite components of the shoes falling apart.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am in IT , I walk & climb up & down ladders alot( i also have been in scouts for sverals years with a hiking merit badge(70 miles total) to boot.. I have had a pair of irish setter and wore a hole in them. The solomons i had busted out @ the soles and I still wear them around the house when not going to get wet & muddy. I got a pair of vasgue(mid) a couple of years ago & can stand in water to the top of the boots and stay dry. I always buy a half size larger and wear wool socks.
    Newer shoe strings SUCK, these suckers just will not stay tied especially when wet.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Danners here. I got my first pair in the army in the early 80's. That pair has been re-soled three times and I still have them. I now have about six pairs. Wear them every day I work. However, they are somewhat over your 200.00 price point. But you will never regret buying a pair.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I am in IT , I walk & climb up & down ladders alot( i also have been in scouts for sverals years with a hiking merit badge(70 miles total) to boot.. I have had a pair of irish setter and wore a hole in them. The solomons i had busted out @ the soles and I still wear them around the house when not going to get wet & muddy. I got a pair of vasgue(mid) a couple of years ago & can stand in water to the top of the boots and stay dry. I always buy a half size larger and wear wool socks.
    Newer shoe strings SUCK, these suckers just will not stay tied especially when wet.

Tried this knot? I've been using it for many years. Stays tied, no more retying.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm wearing Red Wing Classic Moc Toes every day. They are comfortable and hold up well. I'll be getting them resoled in the future and I'll go with a vibram sole, as I hate that damned wedge sole they come with due to how fast it wears out. I'm on my feet 10+ hours a day on concrete, constantly moving, and my feet don't hurt at the end of the day. They're just about the only part of my body that doesn't ache by the end of the week.

Which reminds me, I need to head over to the Red Wing store and pick up some leather soap and boot oil. They really need a good cleaning and oiling.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've had good luck with Rocky boots. They do seem to run a little small though.
    Many years ago, I was wearing Rocky boots while hunting. I was in a hilly area and it started raining. I was slipping and sliding in the mud and my boots came apart. The soles actually came off the boots. Maybe they are better now, but that soured me on Rocky.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Many years ago, I was wearing Rocky boots while hunting. I was in a hilly area and it started raining. I was slipping and sliding in the mud and my boots came apart. The soles actually came off the boots. Maybe they are better now, but that soured me on Rocky.

I've had this happen with a couple pairs of Merrells. The glue holding the sole on just gave out.

Working a landscaping gig in the wet, I went through two pairs in one weekend. Finished the last hour of the gig barefooted.

Caine02

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2021
    Birdseye, IN
    Wow, So far I haven't had any issues with them. Been wearing them for a few years but sure don't want that to happen.

Top Bottom