• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Fellas, I need to find a nice pair of Fall/Winter boots that I can romp through the woods with and would love your input. "Real world" reviews only if you reference a specific model, but general "I like this brand..." comments are welcome.

Note these are going to be "Indiana" boots...not something I'm taking to K2, the Everglades or the Mojave desert. Ideally I'd like a waterproof boot, plus it should be comfortable to spend time in when walking "man's best friend". Think state parks and/or local parks with tall grass and some trails.

I was going to get some generic "duck boots" but don't know how comfortable those would be when hiking for a couple of miles. Last pair I had cracked alot. No wonder LS Ayres when out of business! :):

Was thinking Cabela's and REI would be my best bet here in the greater-Indy area. I currently have a pair of low-cut Keen shoes that are not waterproof. I'd like to think I can get the job done for < $200, but would prefer to pay less.

Am I writing off duck boots too soon? Or should I find some high-top Keen's? Or throw caution to the wind and get some Salomon's?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Redwing model # 2244 is what I wear at work. I also wear them for any outdoor field/work activities. They are lightly insulated and waterproof. These are an 8" with a safety toe.

I did find the non safety toe model at one time but with the "King Toe" ie extra wide safety toe that's ceramic not steel, I didn't see the need. I'm on my 8th pair, not because they are wore out, because work buys me a new pair every 12 months.

They are $200 at Red Wing.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The Ariat workhog XT are tough work boots for the outdoors. They have the toe protection or not options. Wear them all year until I have to wear mudders or bitter cold boots...

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    You know, I had thought about Red's but thought they were only "work boots". I'm assuming they are American made still?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a nice pair of lace up Irish setter boots. Several years old and they are my hunting boots so they do not get much wearing. Waterproof and warm. Just not a good as below.

best pair of boots I hard were vasque mid weight gortex hikers. They had one issue was being hiking boots they had that toe roll to help you walk. If on the tree stand you could rock forward a bit. I wore them for three years mainly as hunting shoes and like 7 more until they wore out completely. (Let me rephrase “my wife made me throw them out”) I was the guy who broke galyans sports. I would try everything there and order elsewhere. Kicking myself ever since.

the new vasque boots did not
    Do it for me.To narrow. Can find ones like the old ones. Would pay great dollars for a second pair of the ones i had

I find a cheap pair of rubber boots from tractor supply and some good socks fit the bill of hunting boots outside of very cold weather very well. They are cheap also. Get a pair for the days were it rains or has heavy dew on the ground.

Buy a pair of rubber farmer boots and several pair of wool forever Socks at REI. The take your time on finding the perfect boot for you. Vasque is hard to find but well worth a shot. Just make sure they are not to narrow.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I bought these last year when they had their big clearance sale at a much lower price than what is listed. I have found them to be comfortable so far and have held up great.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Redwing model # 2244 is what I wear at work. I also wear them for any outdoor field/work activities. They are lightly insulated and waterproof. These are an 8" with a safety toe.

I did find the non safety toe model at one time but with the "King Toe" ie extra wide safety toe that's ceramic not steel, I didn't see the need. I'm on my 8th pair, not because they are wore out, because work buys me a new pair every 12 months.

They are $200 at Red Wing.
    I agree. King toe. When you got Fred Flintstone feet....lol

Attachments

• 16343273261714955314142705316874.jpg
      16343273261714955314142705316874.jpg
      1.6 MB · Views: 8

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    I have a nice pair of lace up Irish setter boots. Several years old and they are my hunting boots so they do not get much wearing. Waterproof and warm. Just not a good as below.

best pair of boots I hard were vasque mid weight gortex hikers. They had one issue was being hiking boots they had that toe roll to help you walk. If on the tree stand you could rock forward a bit. I wore them for three years mainly as hunting shoes and like 7 more until they wore out completely. (Let me rephrase “my wife made me throw them out”) I was the guy who broke galyans sports. I would try everything there and order elsewhere. Kicking myself ever since.

Do it for me.To narrow. Can find ones like the old ones. Would pay great dollars for a second pair of the ones i had

I find a cheap pair of rubber boots from tractor supply and some good socks fit the bill of hunting boots outside of very cold weather very well. They are cheap also. Get a pair for the days were it rains or has heavy dew on the ground.

Buy a pair of rubber farmer boots and several pair of wool forever Socks at REI. The take your time on finding the perfect boot for you. Vasque is hard to find but well worth a shot. Just make sure they are not to narrow.
    I also have Vasque hiking boots, I believe they are the breeze II model. Best boots I've ever had. Bought them at REI in Castleton, under $200, maybe three years ago. They are sturdy enough for rough terrain with lots of grip for slippery surfaces, yet very comfortable. However, I don't think they are completely waterproof.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have the Fred Flintstone foot syndrome as well, and the Timberland Pro wide toe box seems to be the most comfortable for me.

I will say not to write off the Muck Boots for wet/snow use. That seems to be my favorite for cold wet hunting weather. Big muddy puddles, crossing open water is no problem and they take some abuse.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    Wolverine

I have a pair I bought in 1998 and I still wear them in late fall and all winter. They are rock solid with no issues.

The only thing I've done is replace the insoles and treat the leather. Just about to break them out and give them a leather treatment. I normally wear an 11.5 Wide shoe or boot but these are 11 Wide. Mine are insulated and a nice pair of wool socks is all that's needed. I've been out in -15 degrees and my feet were never cold.

The link below is the closest new version to what I have:

Men - Brek Durashocks® Waterproof 8" Steel-Toe EH Work Boot - 8" Boots | Wolverine

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

I second the Irish Setter. 50+ hrs/wk between work and hiking/outdoors and they are going strong. Comfortable and lightweight. Never had a stitch tear or a sole crack. Well worth the $

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have a pair of Oboz Sawtooth that I use for backpacking. Really comfortable on my feet. Had to go up a half size. Good socks are helpful too.

For hiking/backpacking in the Indy area I would start at Rusted Moon. They have knowledgeable, helpful salespeople. Not just whoever got to wear the Shoe Department vest for the day.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I get a new pair of timberland pro pitboss boots every few years.

Usually when they fail it's in the arch of my foot from bending too much when kneeling to pick things up.
    They have done an excellent job of protecting my feet, maintaining stable footing in mud, and holding up to water. They also don't tend to develop much of a stink, thankfully.

But I'm pretty hard on boots, and really never wear anything else. Mink oil every season tends to double the life span, or better.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Another vote for Irish Setters! I'm a pull on boot guy so for me it's style 83912 (Marshalls). I'm on pair #4, and still have the first 3, they just get demoted as they get older and more worn. I wear the safety toe version due to work but they make a non-safety toe too. I'm on my feet on concrete 8-12 hours per day and I've got no complaints. I also use these year round, snow, mud, grass, woods, etc. Excellent boots!

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Fellas, I need to find a nice pair of Fall/Winter boots that I can romp through the woods with and would love your input. "Real world" reviews only if you reference a specific model, but general "I like this brand..." comments are welcome.

Note these are going to be "Indiana" boots...not something I'm taking to K2, the Everglades or the Mojave desert. Ideally I'd like a waterproof boot, plus it should be comfortable to spend time in when walking "man's best friend". Think state parks and/or local parks with tall grass and some trails.

I was going to get some generic "duck boots" but don't know how comfortable those would be when hiking for a couple of miles. Last pair I had cracked alot. No wonder LS Ayres when out of business! :):

Was thinking Cabela's and REI would be my best bet here in the greater-Indy area. I currently have a pair of low-cut Keen shoes that are not waterproof. I'd like to think I can get the job done for < $200, but would prefer to pay less.

Am I writing off duck boots too soon? Or should I find some high-top Keen's? Or throw caution to the wind and get some Salomon's?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    hey, I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but my wife bought me a pair of Muck Chore boots a couple years ago at one of the Amish stores near Napanee. They had a big sale going on.
    I used to wear LaCross when wotking outside in the winter but they were so heavy that I was worn out after eight hours of trudging through the mud and snow.
    For what it's worth, these are a lot lighter, they are lightly insulated and the slip on and off easily. Theu are about 16" tall with a soft upper portion.
    good luck on your boot hunt.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The Ariat workhog XT are tough work boots for the outdoors. They have the toe protection or not options. Wear them all year until I have to wear mudders or bitter cold boots...

Ariat is my go to. The ones I buy for work are not waterproof.

Top Bottom