• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Federal Hydra-Shoks were good rounds and still are...but changes in bullet design(s) such as the Federal HST, where the changes in design to the bullet itself have resulted in improved, overall, bullet performance.
    I still have some Hydra-Shoks in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp...and they've all tended to run well in most semi-automatic pistols.
    I carried .38 special 129 grain Federal Hydra-Shok in my snub-nosed revolvers for years...it's been an accurate round, has a milder felt-recoil, and is much more forgiving than even 110 grain .357 magnum ammo, while yet providing an adequate penetration capable bullet.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    .380 ammo can be tricky as expansion & penetration is all over the board.

Based on this data point, you may need to be cautious of over-penetration, as they tend to fail to expand.

These seem to perform well in both aspects.
    Hornady 90 gr FTX Critical Defense

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    With regards to 380 specifically, Hydra-Shoks are one of 3 loads I like in the tiny 380s of today, the others being loads using the Hornady XTP bullet, and FMJ loads.

The problem 380 still has (given modern performance expectations), with current bullet technology, is that it either penetrates adequately, but fails to expand, or expands well, but fails to penetrate. The Hydra-Shok and XTP bullets seem to expand a bit, but not too much to drastically affect penetration (negatively).

However, for all the duty caliber loads (9/40/45), Hydra-Shok has been improved on by more modern designs (like HST mentioned above).

ShootingTheBull410 on YouTube did a 380 ammo quest series (for micro 380 pistols) that's worth watching. Here's the final wrap-up:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    To me the .380 cartridge's biggest drawback is lack of penetration. To alleviate this drawback, I prefer

Underwood 380 ACP 68GR. XTREME DEFENDER SOLID MONOLITHIC​

Top Bottom