• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Dumb.....beginning of episode, "OK we have to get out of town now!" So, let's go home, keep all this zombie stuff a secret from everyone including the daughter who is shacking up with zombie boy, then go home, not pack anything although we just discussed leaving town.

mom goes to school to get drugs for junkie son, doesn't have the brains to tell daughter to pack stuff while she is gone.

at the school, meets the kid Tobias, the only one with a friggin clue, raids school pantry, leaves food. Walks up to principal zombie even though she just had to RUN ONE OVER with a truck several times.....drop kid with a clue off at his house.

go home, nothing packed, but hey, let's shine flashlights out the windows on the neighbors we didn't tell about the zombies....oh yeah, still do not pack. Still do not explain to daughter wtf is going on, too busy washing blood out of my jacket.....gotta look good for the apocalypse I guess.

meanwhile, dad is shacked up in a barber shop, lights on, looking out the windows for passing rioters to see him, still doesn't tell the barber and his family what is going on and what he has seen....he only had a few hours to do so....about the only thing smart he has done is tell the new wife to gtfo and they will meet in the desert, too late for that.

this family has zero control over their kids, I mean is this even slightly realistic? Explain to your kid who is at the protest wtf is going on, then gtfo out of town. Nope, none of that, instead, we will see these kids doing their own thing for the rest of the season instead of unassing their head from their rectal cavities and grabbing a clue.

i am really not sure how the directors/producers are going to convince me that any of these people would actually survive. It is a real shame, I really wanted to like this show but, like I said in the other thread, this show started dumb and hasn't improved much. I think the producers are relying on brand loyalty from TWD to keep people interested in this show, kind of like licking the last bit of ice cream out of the tub, you want the real ice cream but, you will take the littlest taste you can get if its all gone.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Dumb.....beginning of episode, "OK we have to get out of town now!" So, let's go home, keep all this zombie stuff a secret from everyone including the daughter who is shacking up with zombie boy, then go home, not pack anything although we just discussed leaving town.

mom goes to school to get drugs for junkie son, doesn't have the brains to tell daughter to pack stuff while she is gone.

at the school, meets the kid Tobias, the only one with a friggin clue, raids school pantry, leaves food. Walks up to principal zombie even though she just had to RUN ONE OVER with a truck several times.....drop kid with a clue off at his house.

go home, nothing packed, but hey, let's shine flashlights out the windows on the neighbors we didn't tell about the zombies....oh yeah, still do not pack. Still do not explain to daughter wtf is going on, too busy washing blood out of my jacket.....gotta look good for the apocalypse I guess.

meanwhile, dad is shacked up in a barber shop, lights on, looking out the windows for passing rioters to see him, still doesn't tell the barber and his family what is going on and what he has seen....he only had a few hours to do so....about the only thing smart he has done is tell the new wife to gtfo and they will meet in the desert, too late for that.

this family has zero control over their kids, I mean is this even slightly realistic? Explain to your kid who is at the protest wtf is going on, then gtfo out of town. Nope, none of that, instead, we will see these kids doing their own thing for the rest of the season instead of unassing their head from their rectal cavities and grabbing a clue.

i am really not sure how the directors/producers are going to convince me that any of these people would actually survive. It is a real shame, I really wanted to like this show but, like I said in the other thread, this show started dumb and hasn't improved much. I think the producers are relying on brand loyalty from TWD to keep people interested in this show, kind of like licking the last bit of ice cream out of the tub, you want the real ice cream but, you will take the littlest taste you can get if its all gone.

I get what you are saying, but exactly HOW do you explain "zombies" to someone who hasn't seen really strange stuff? So far it seems that dad, mom, and son are all on board. Daughter has no clue and would be in massive denial due to her boyfriend. She wouldn't buy the truth until he bit her. Ex wife and son still aren't on board, but they do know something is wrong.

It's easy to say "I'll just explain that zombies/aliens/vampires are here and everyone will believe me" but when put in context it would be very hard to convince others, especially since there has been zero (0) significant news anywhere.

Moms actions are also believable. She is a "normal" person who has never considered responding quickly to a massive threat. She is at school to get the dope and has been shown to still be in the mindset of "this will pass." Also, she just crushed the principals skull in and presumably would not want to hang around a crime scene any longer than necessary. While I think that we can sit outside, look in, and see the danger on the horizon she isn't in a position to truly appreciate how desperate things will become.

Shining lights outside is understandable to see what is going on, although again not the best tactical move. The wife did go across the street to warn the neighbor. You saw her walking across in the rear as dad left to get his son and ex wife. But going back to my earlier paragraph how does one warn the neighbors about what she has seen without looking bat:poop: crazy?

I think you are overlooking how difficult it would be to warn people of the unbelievable happening without being taken for a total whackjob, at least until they see with their own eyes something inexplicable.

As far as the kids go I also see many teenagers not taking what their parents say as the word of the Lord from on high. The daughter is wrapped up in young love wanting to care for her sick boyfriend, not understanding why her parents are acting like loons. The son from the former marriage probably isn't planning on being at the protest for long, and just knows his father doesn't understand how important it is for him to document what is happening. Tell me you did everything you were told to do the absolute instant you were told to do so by your parents and I'll also buy the next bridge you want to sell. Kids today are not as disciplined as they used to be. While we can both bemoan this reality we cannot escape that it IS the current reality. Besides in this case the kid is holding a grudge for the divorce. Kids in divorce situations are always mad at one parent or both and don't understand what has happened or why. His defiance is well within reason even without the standard issue teenager rebellion kicking in.

The problem the characters are facing is that what they are seeing is SO unbelievable that they cannot tell anyone and be believed, especially as there hasn't been any significant news coverage of this real problem. That is the issue I have! I don't care what the government wants, you could not shut down at least one (1) or two (2) major news sources from reporting what is going on. Even IF the US Govt convinced national news media to go black, the BBC or Al Jazeera or the AP from covering this.

Regards,

Doug

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    When the principal came stumbling down the hall in last nights episode, my youngest son stated "Look, its Barack Zomboma". The show is definitely drawing us in. Kind of interesting knowing what they don't yet know.

Dirty Steve

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south

I get what you are saying, but exactly HOW do you explain "zombies" to someone who hasn't seen really strange stuff? So far it seems that dad, mom, and son are all on board. Daughter has no clue and would be in massive denial due to her boyfriend. She wouldn't buy the truth until he bit her. Ex wife and son still aren't on board, but they do know something is wrong.

Snip

Regards,

Doug

i understand what you are saying and do actually agree with almost all of it, I guess I am just being hypercritical because I would've found a way to explain it or just left people to be on their own. As in the case of the neighbors, I did see the teacher cross to talk to them but, I know my neighbors and there's only a few I'd tell as they have their stuff in one sock, the others, I'd be doing everything for them.

i guess my biggest gripe is that they recognize some serious doo doo has just hit the fan, have made the decision to get out of town and STILL haven't even filled a water bottle AFTER seeing the neighbor and a couple other people doing the same thing.

i really, REALLY want to like this show and I will keep watching it I guess in hopes that it does get better. I think the producers have a very steep hill to climb in convincing the audience that these city people are going to be able to survive in the wild, no grocery stores, no hunting skills, no crop growing skills etc...

so far, I like the dad the most and seriously can't wait for junkie to get bit, unfortunately, we will be introduced to several characters that we genuinely like (Dale) who will get bit while ones we really don't care for will go on for a couple seasons to annoy the ever living :poop out of us (Andrea)

we we will see. Also thanks for your reply, I enjoyed reading it.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    So the dad ended up with his old family, but his wife and new family are thrilled at that prospect. It would have been better to get out when you can vs waiting. I don't get the mom not comprehending the principal was a zombie after she already seen one killed. Maybe disbelief. They do not have the survival mindset but that would be true for many and thus add to the zombie problem. However, I have come across many people that would just roll over and die vs fight back, typically those are the anti-gun crowd in my experience

The overlying theme to this show is: DO NOT COMMUNICATE nothing from the government, nothing from the parents

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is the word "zombie" trademarked or something? Two shows now, and I haven't heard the word yet. Add in all the seasons of TWD, too.

Thought the dad was going to finally say it. He said something about "they die, and get back up". Geesh, folks, just say it!

At the very least, this show sparks some good conversation with my wife. All the stuff we would NOT do if things "got weird".

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Is the word "zombie" trademarked or something? Two shows now, and I haven't heard the word yet. Add in all the seasons of TWD, too.

Thought the dad was going to finally say it. He said something about "they die, and get back up". Geesh, folks, just say it!

At the very least, this show sparks some good conversation with my wife. All the stuff we would NOT do if things "got weird".

No, and my answer may explain some questions people have. In the Walking Dead universe, the concept of a "zombie" is unknown. This world never had zombie movies, books, TV shows, or comics. The word zombie hadn't even been invented. So in this is why what we, in our world, universally know as zombies are known to members in TWD universe as a variety of different names. Come to think of it, to drive this point home, the scriptwriters might not have the cast refer to them as "walkers" in this series, as that term is unique to Rock's group.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No, and my answer may explain some questions people have. In the Walking Dead universe, the concept of a "zombie" is unknown. This world never had zombie movies, books, TV shows, or comics. The word zombie hadn't even been invented. So in this is why what we, in our world, universally know as zombies are known to members in TWD universe as a variety of different names. Come to think of it, to drive this point home, the scriptwriters might not have the cast refer to them as "walkers" in this series, as that term is unique to Rock's group.

Yep...Kut's right...Just found this out yesterday...In their world George Romero never made a film........

I also found out there are two references to "Breaking Bad" in TWD and that there was more than likely a nurse that stayed behind and took care of Rick those two months he was in a coma....I will find the lnk and post it...Kind of cool...

[video=youtube;1G3jChi69Nw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G3jChi69Nw[/video]

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    LOL! Paul Williams high school! Anybody remember that guy from the smokie and the bandit movie?

Yeah...Wasn't he "Little Enos"?

burdettes.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is no "zombie" in their universe, cause then the switch from "normal" to "zombie normal" would switch faster, and more realistic.

How much confusion would happen if you had to kill zombies by shooting them in the left elbow?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Does anybody know what happened to the food the mom and the nerd kid from the school were hauling out?????

I'm assuming they left it. I would've too. Principal Obama obviously got munched on by someone in the school, so I wouldn't be sticking around to find out who.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Watching the epidemic start is kinda anticlimactic to waking up after a coma to learn the world has gone chomp chomp. I will give it a chance..

My DH has been complaining about it being so dull in comparison to TWD. But I think part of the point is that the circumstances are too crazy to believe, so people keep trying to go about their lives until they get smacked in the face with it.

I don't think they're going to do this. I think they want a "normal, average man-on-the-street" viewpoint, so that people don't know what is happening or who to believe. They want us to connect/bond with a small group of characters who are trying to survive a seemingly unimaginable event. This way we can "understand" it more.

yes, that seems to be the approach

I liked Contagion. It did show some behind the scenes methodology of how the CDC/.gov would react to a major threat. The characters were overall good if I recall correctly.
    Yes, I thought that was actually somewhat realistic. The combination of high case mortality, short incubation time, and high contagion were probably not realistic but a lot of the behavioral reaction might have been.

A very good book to read is The Great Influenza Pandemic. It covers a lot of government, medical, and history of disease. It seemed like one problem was that everyone in the house would get sick at once and be too weak to move, so whole houses of parents and children just died due to lack of extremely basic care. No food, water or bathing for days combined with the flu and people just died. We normally don't think of situations like that happening, and they don't, but they did in 1917 - 1918.

I'm not sure we are in a much better situation now. When Ebola was getting all of the attention, there was a doc in Indy who used the opportunity to admit the hospitals are not ready for a serious influenza outbreak. It's too many sick people too fast, and not enough people that will want to go to work to take care of them. At best, you'd have to abandon most other medical care in order to care for all of the flu patients.

I was looking at case mortality rates recently. Case mortality refers to the # of people who die within the number that are affected. (as opposed to mortality rate, which is the # that die within the population). Typical "case mortality" of our influenza outbreaks is about 0.25%. The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 was about 2.5%.
    This year's canine flu (the first severe canine flu we've ever seen in this country) had a 5% case fatality rate. An avian influenza virus had a near-100% case fatality rate. Those viruses are both the type that could potentially mutate/join with other influenza viruses and eventually infect humans (that virus formation usually happens in Asia due to living conditions there). The poultry fatality rate is of course severe because the poultry live in terrible conditions of cramped housing. But those dogs that were tested are all dogs that have owners willing to seek out and pay for medical care. And IME the kind of pet that gets health care is often living in a better environment than much of our human population.

So.... I'm just sayin.... a really severe flu outbreak that we can't handle with our healthcare system is a realistic possibility.

but back to the show....

Does anybody know what happened to the food the mom and the nerd kid from the school were hauling out?????

Without watching it again..... I just assumed they put it in the car and she left it with the kid when she dropped him off. But maybe I'm misremembering their exit details.

Top Bottom