• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I primarily hunt with 5 different types of rifle cartridges. I will/ have killed game with others but these are my favorites.
    Small game - 22 lr
    Big game/ light - 257 Roberts
    Big game/ wide open medium - 300 H&H
    Big game/ heavy - 35 Whelen
    Big game/ dangerous - 404 Jeffery

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I primarily hunt with 5 different types of rifle cartridges. I will/ have killed game with others but these are my favorites.
    Small game - 22 lr
    Big game/ light - 257 Roberts
    Big game/ wide open medium - 300 H&H
    Big game/ heavy - 35 Whelen
    Big game/ dangerous - 404 Jeffery
    Love me some 257 bob. Next year if the weather allows one is coming out in deer season.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't hunt anymore but when I did, for deer it was .35 Remington. Favorite rifle(only rifle), Marlin Carbine lever action.

For waterfowl, 12 gauge. Beretta AL2 Magnum

If I was plinking shooting squirrels, tweety birds, pop cans, etc. , .22LR. Weatherby XXII or Ruger 10/22. Favorite is hard for this one. Weatherby was my father's so it has sentimental value. 10/22 is a little more compact and I'm not as worried about getting a scratch on it.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    View attachment 174387 View attachment 174386

Grendel Grendel Grendel.

I’ve become a huge fan of that one. Coons, coyotes, deer, hogs, antelope. It does anything under elk with ease, and paired with SST almost always results in DRT.

It is big enough to have plenty of energy, but small enough to have mousefart recoil.
    What load you running with the sst's? I got some 123 sst last week and curious what you're pushing it with.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Have you tried federal? Cheaper, and devastating.
    I have not. Have you tried it on anything bigger than coyotes? The problem with my one-gun-to-rule-them-all strategy is I need an ammo that works on everything. SST fits the bill, but good lord is it expensive!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I haven't but a guy in Texas uses them on hogs with no issue at all. Google Carpe sus and he has a ton of video.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    .204 Ruger for everything Coyote sized and smaller. Super fast. Super flat. Big bang and no recoil.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I really enjoy spot and stalk squirrel hunting with my 10/22.

On a recent hunt I borrow a bolt 6.5 grendel. The variety of that cartridge is hard to beat.

This deer season I had success with 450 bushmaster.

I really can't narrow it down. Every year I buy a new "go to rifle" for deer season it seems.

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    I really enjoy spot and stalk squirrel hunting with my 10/22.

On a recent hunt I borrow a bolt 6.5 grendel. The variety of that cartridge is hard to beat.

This deer season I had success with 450 bushmaster.

I really can't narrow it down. Every year I buy a new "go to rifle" for deer season it seems.
    I’m the same way. I can’t seem to settle on one

SpartanYeti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2022
    Osceola, IN 46561, USA
    I built an AR in .350 Legend to hunt Michigan with this year. I took two doe on opening day with it. One died within 40 yds, the other within 25 yds. My only concern is blood trail. Although not necessary, I "tracked" both deer to see what kind of trail the .350 provided. One bled great, the other hardly at all. Both shots took out vitals.

I love the gun, but it's hunting efficacy is still to be determined for me. I will also note that hunting ammo is tough to find in this caliber, at least for 150 Grain Winchester Deer Season XP anyway.
    I appreciate your insight. I have also considered building a .350 Legend but I have a 12G slug gun I know will do the trick.

Top Bottom