• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I’m considering a fixed power 4x scope for my CZ527 (7.62x39). What’s everyone’s favorite? Figure most shooting will be done inside of 200 yards.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Leupold M8.

Leupold M8s are extended eye relief scopes that were intended for handgun use, but .......

I have a Leupold M8 in 2X on my S&W 657 revolver....
    only gets 1.7X to get technical
    and I can see extremely well within that 100 yd window..

Tasco, Simmons, Weaver Old & Newer 4X scopes are great values......

if you can find 'em.....

maybe gunbroker, ebay....

on my better rifles I have three Leupold Vari-X III variables that are tops.... 1.75 X 6 , 2.5 X 8
    and 3.5 X 10 ....

I switch around as needed.

Burris is also hard to beat except I never bought them.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Unertl Hawk 4x (no longer made)

I have a Redfield Revolution (I think 4x10x40) on my CZ527 in .204 Ruger. That thing is a tack driving SOB. Only problem with a scope on that gun is the bolt arm is shaped to not give much if any relief from the scope as you cycle a round. There is a guy in MT who specializes in extending the arm but I have never sent to him.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    I have tight clearance too. I’ve seen the modified bolt handles but would rather not have to fuss with it. I thought I’d read somewhere that they had changed the bolt handles on the newer guns, maybe 2017 when they put out the new sight options. Anyway, with a set of medium rings I barely have enough clearance

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Before anyone else offers up handgun scopes, the OP is asking for his rifle. ;)

everyone should learn about scopes....

I know much more about scopes than.......

let say cz527.......and they are not made in Kansas.......but the CZ republic.

M8 scopes on the otherhand are made in OREGON, U.S.A.:)

I love learnin new stuff, each and every day too.:)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    IMO, if you only want 4x then a 1-4x would make sense. Size and weight would be about identical. If you really want a fixed magnification then step up to a SWFA 6x

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    IMO, if you only want 4x then a 1-4x would make sense. Size and weight would be about identical. If you really want a fixed magnification then step up to a SWFA 6x

that's nice........

he's got a 7.62x39 which has a rainbow trajectory ......so 6X is very limiting.

low power variables are great......

just expensive & not too many come....

1 X 4 power.

my Leupold vari-X III in 1.75 X 6 is mounted on my Browning A-bolt in
    7mm-08 and with it I have taken quite a few deer.
    optics are great and I usually start carrying it on 1.75 and dial up as needed.

Buying a scope now is really difficult because the current ones are expensive.

the great thing to remember is a very good scope costs more than many rifles that wear them.

best of all you can tranfer them as needed & Leupold is for life....yours, mine and any one that owns it!

Last edited:

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    Fixed power scopes are unfortunately falling out of favor and are being discontinued. You may be able to find a Leupold FXII 4x33mm scope on a shelf somewhere. But if most of your shooting will be inside 100 yards with only a few shots out to 200 yards, you might consider the Leupold FXI 4x28mmm rimfire scope. It's light and compact and would complement a small bolt action rifle. The downside is that the parallax is set to 60 (?) yards, but it can be adjusted at the factory or there are probably how to instructions on rimfire central. The cost is reasonable, and it meets the same test requirements as the rest of the Leupold line.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    that's nice........

he's got a 7.62x39 which has a rainbow trajectory ......so 6X is very limiting.

low power variables are great......

just expensive & not too many come....

1 X 4 power.

my Leupold vari-X III in 1.75 X 6 is mounted on my Browning A-bolt in
    7mm-08 and with it I have taken quite a few deer.
    optics are great and I usually start carrying it on 1.75 and dial up as needed.

Buying a scope now is really difficult because the current ones are expensive.

the great thing to remember is a very good scope costs more than many rifles that wear them.

best of all you can tranfer them as needed & Leupold is for life....yours, mine and any one that owns it!

Was figuring on a 25/200 zero but after looking at some ballistic tables figured id try a 50 yard zero And be pretty close out to 150. Shot it today with irons since I don’t have a scope yet but a 50 yard zero had me shooting high at 200? Was shooting in the rain so I’ll have to get out on a nicer day to sort it out

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Was figuring on a 25/200 zero but after looking at some ballistic tables figured id try a 50 yard zero And be pretty close out to 150. Shot it today with irons since I don’t have a scope yet but a 50 yard zero had me shooting high at 200? Was shooting in the rain so I’ll have to get out on a nicer day to sort it out

Iron sights & scopes have different trajectory tables!
    understand why?

scopes with regular height rings are 1.5 inches above bore line.

iron sights are only 3/4"

Iron sights I use 12.5 yards to hit zero @ 100 yds. for most calibers. fine adjustment only are then needed

Same gun with scope I use 25 yards for zero @ 100 yds. again fine adjustments needed

My SKS using iron sights with Tula 154gr SP ammo sighted in at 100 yds groups about 3 inches...

I move rear sight up to 300 meter notch and I can group same ammo about 6" group at 200 yds....

that's from actual range time data and not just from a balistics table.

BTW you can learn a lot from
    Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle.

Last edited:

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    Iron sights & scopes have different trajectory tables!
    understand why?

scopes with regular height rings are 1.5 inches above bore line.

iron sights are only 3/4"

Iron sights I use 12.5 yards to hit zero @ 100 yds. for most calibers. fine adjustment only are then needed

Same gun with scope I use 25 yards for zero @ 100 yds. again fine adjustments needed

My SKS using iron sights with Tula 154gr SP ammo sighted in at 100 yds groups about 3 inches...

I move rear sight up to 300 meter notch and I can group same ammo about 6" group at 200 yds....

that's from actual range time data and not just from a balistics table.

BTW you can learn a lot from
    Jack O'Connor's The Hunting Rifle.

Makes sense. Always learning something new. I’ll check out the book too, thanks for the recommendation

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Found that book. Looks like the man wrote quite a bit. $35 well spent, looking forward to reading it

You will enjoy it as I have read it many times. His technical advice is wonderful and his writing style flows easily. My copy is first edition with the dust cover well worn. Price tag on my dust jacket $7.89 from Ayr-way in Indianapolis... bought-out by Target end of 1970's.

I was able to learn enough and to share his knowledge many times at the range over the years.

Jack's advice on bore-sighting and point-blank-range for big-game rifles has allowed me to take antelope, whitetails and mule deer in many states.

good luck

Last edited:
    Top Bottom