• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garni

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2018
    New Albany
    Hey all, have a general question for you fine folks: what is your favorite AR alternative? I have no hate for ARs, they are great weapons and I've owned a couple over the years, but they've never been my favorite way to throw .223/5.56 lead downrange; for me, that will always be a Ruger Mini 14 (I'm on the hunt for one now). I know in a lot of ways it's objectively not as good as an AR, but man, do I love the way they look and hold. So, I'm curious, what are your favorites, and why do you prefer them over an AR?
    I am big on the 7.62 x 39 myself so I would go more for the mini 30 good luck with the search.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    To bring it full-circle, still kicking myself for being an idiot and hesitating when PTR released their C93s for $550 a few years ago. Had the page queued up, but got distracted waiting, and missed the pre-order window by minutes.
    The five minute drop on Buds? Yeah I remember vividly. I had the money. I dithered. Too late.

KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    The five minute drop on Buds? Yeah I remember vividly. I had the money. I dithered. Too late.
    Yep, that's the exact one! I'd say I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it really just means it sucked for both of us!

That said, my less-than-awesome experience with PTR on a different, out-of-spec rifle has made me feel a little better about missing out.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yep, that's the exact one! I'd say I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it really just means it sucked for both of us!

That said, my less-than-awesome experience with PTR on a different, out-of-spec rifle has made me feel a little better about missing out.
    Are you me? I also dropped a grand on a PTR later on down the line and had to immediately send it back for repairs.

Seems to me that roller lock ain't the reliability tank it's hyped up to be.

KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Are you me? I also dropped a grand on a PTR later on down the line and had to immediately send it back for repairs.

Seems to me that roller lock ain't the reliability tank it's hyped up to be.
    Sounds like it!

I made the mistake of buying mine (a 91GI) used. PTR had cut the mag catch too low from the factory, so if you didn't use the exact right magazines, they sat too low, and instead of stripping a round off, it would catch it halfway down the case wall, drag it along the bottom of the receiver and smash it across the chamber throat. I contacted their customer service, showed them the error, and their answer was "you're not the original owner, and we refuse touch anything if you're not, even if we messed it up from the get-go, go pound sand."

The more I've looked around, the more I think it's not a roller lock issue, it's just PTR can't live up to their own hype.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Because having to shoot someone more than once is just silly!
    9rh5ZDU.jpg

Damn straight.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    My favorite AR-15 alternative. Israeli Galil. It's ok with me if your favorite AR-15 alternative is different than mine, nor are you required to like mine, or believe it is better than an AR-15. It will remain my favorite AR-15 alternative in any case.

s5Jk0JP.jpg
    Loved mine, just wish I had held on to it.
    As to the .308/7.62NATO, I will go for my G3 clone(not a CETME) or my Savge Stealth.
    In the 9mm camp, Beretta CX4 Storm. Compact, uses same mags as my M9.

fzd

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fishers
    My favorite alternative is... the Beretta ARX100..
    I know it looks ugly......

But for $1,300 you have a piston operated, quick change barrel, folding stock, fully ambidextrous, and with everything still under 7 lbs.
    The trigger weight is terrible though. Too bad Beretta seems abandoned it.

KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    My favorite alternative is... the Beretta ARX100..
    I know it looks ugly......

But for $1,300 you have a piston operated, quick change barrel, folding stock, fully ambidextrous, and with everything still under 7 lbs.
    The trigger weight is terrible though. Too bad Beretta seems abandoned it.
    Not gonna lie, if they ever go on clearance, I'm gonna get one!

MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Is we are talking for guns chambered in 5.56 I would say my favorite alternative would be the FN FNC. It's a pretty unique and interesting firearm and is kinda rare to see so I've always found them to be kinda cool. I still like ARs more than the FNC but this is still definitely a cool rifle.

1651788783454.png

If we are talking rifles outside of 5.56, I think AKs in 5.45 are pretty alright. Once again, I would still prefer the AR platform though. I'd also dip into the battle rifle territory. I definitely love the FN SCAR-17, FN FAL, and G-3. All pretty cool rifles. The only real thing about the FN SCAR-17 that I'm not a huge fan of is that it has a reciprocating charging handle, but there are kits to make them non reciprocating. I like that the SCAR is relatively light for being a battle rifle and supports quite a bit of modularity, the only downside is like a lot of battle rifles, you'll probably looking at over 3k for one. Ouch.

MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I’ve gotten to handle and familiarize with a lot of non ARs from working in a shop the last 5 years…..but no actual trigger time so take my opinions for what it’s worth.
    View attachment 198002
    The Beretta ARX incorporated some good ideas, toolless handle swaps, quick remove barrel, folding stock, super lightweight. But man it’s REALLY ugly and kinda felt cheap to me. Customers kept calling it a fish. Not impressed.
    View attachment 198003
    The Tavor SAR seemed very well built and fairly refined. The charging handle was in a nice spot for me (righty). It’s got some weight but balances extremely well. Trigger is… awful. Haven’t handled the X95 but it would seem an even more refined variant of a well refined rifle. I would probably buy the X95 or SAR.
    View attachment 198004
    I imagine there will be a lot of people touting the Mini 14 in here and they’d be right. It’s got some fun advantages over an AR. It would seem that it’s best left in its wood stocked form. I’ve handled about a half dozen, and the “tactical” models just seem to take away from the form that makes the mini so fun and unique. Also it’s wood stocked nature makes it more friendly around people that are brainwashed enough to be scared of a black plastic rifle. I would buy a mini for sure. There’s even a 300 BLK model that I think makes a lot of sense.
    View attachment 198006
    The SCAR-L seems like a proper battle rifle with good modern construction. I love the controls and how the stock feels. Nothing wrong with it besides the price. I think FN is wrong for keeping that good rifle out of the price range of the majority of consumers. Not worth the money. But otherwise 10/10
    View attachment 198005
    The Sig MCX is technically not an an AR. I think there are enough differences that make it it’s own animal. But honestly still seems like an AR to me. It’s built really well, controls are good and the rifle feels strong. The finish was too gritty for me. It’s a good rifle that I think we will be seeing much more of due to the contract SIG just won. I honestly don’t have a place for one since it just seems like another more expensive AR to me.
    View attachment 198007
    The Steyr AUG is still around as far as I know. The controls take some getting used to. Charging handle can sometimes interfere with optics. It’s smartly built and feels like quality. Although I feel the TAVOR is the better bullpup.

All in all, mini 14 being my favorite alternative.
    Honestly, I don't really see the point behind the SCAR L. It's not bad or anything, but I think there are a bunch of other 5.56 platform rifles that are better, and that the SCAR excels in its job as a battle rifle in the SCAR 17.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    FNC
    But they spendy nowadays.
    Makes an AR look pretty LOL

Shoot well, take AR mags, and in para, they make a smaller package.
    Think they only imported 500 or 600 of the non paratrooper.

Pops had one of each and I shot a few groundhogs w the para.
    He sold the fixed stock to a bud many yrs ago.
    That guy passed away and dunno what happened to that rifle.

Pops is gone too now, and I could have bought the para from the estate.
    Parts would be $ if it ever took a dump. So didn't.
    Flat top AR works good for varming, easier to scope.

FNC took a mount that had to be fitted, kind of a PITA.
    I had a para version for a short time, which I just had to buy after watching the movie Heat. I had fantasies about converting it to full auto because, at the time, the auto sears were close to the best possible NFA entry price point out there.

But the rifle was heavy, I didn’t like the trigger, and yes, the lack of spare parts availability (and high cost of those parts) meant that it had to go.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

1653402540710.png

How about the Robinson XCR.
    I wanted one when they first came out could not find one available without a 6 month plus wait. I have very little patience even less as I get older.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    May favorite AR Alternatives in 5.56:

Bushmaster ACR
    Sig Virtus
    Beretta ARX 100
    Galil
    Tommy Built G36

My Favorite non-5.56 Alternatives:

VZ58/2008 in 7.62x39
    Sig Virtus/Rattler in 300BLK
    Galil ACE in 7.62 x 39
    CZ Bren 2 in 7.62x39
    Maxim PDX in 300BLK

KeeperoftheH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 5, 2022
    Fort Wayne

View attachment 202708

These look interesting to me. I could possibly see this as an alternative to the AR-15.
    I've said it before: George Kellgren has gotten way too much of my money over the years, and he's probably gonna get more. KelTec may not make the...best...guns in the world, but I feel like they are one of the few companies that are truly trying new things, and pushing firearms designs in new directions. And yeah, I want one of these, as well as a SU16.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I've said it before: George Kellgren has gotten way too much of my money over the years, and he's probably gonna get more. KelTec may not make the...best...guns in the world, but I feel like they are one of the few companies that are truly trying new things, and pushing firearms designs in new directions. And yeah, I want one of these, as well as a SU16.
    Couple good George videos here earlier this year

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom