• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've followed Melissa's Youtube channel for a few years in relation to gardening and homesteading. Real glad she put out this video on stretching and working out with a goal towards this sort of work.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Prior to moving to our hobby farm I had back problems. Even had surgery on it.
    After a number of years of the farm life. My back no longer bothers me at all. I'm out ever day regardless of the weather. Fresh air, sunshine ( sometimes! This is Indiana after all ) and manual labor. Good for the body and the soul!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    She is really good with her explanations and form. I'm not a personal trainer but I have been training under some kind of personal trainer for quite a long time and Melissa seems to be very knowledgeable.

For me, I go to a gym and train. I drive a computer mouse and sit all day. I live in suburbia and though I get some exercise working around the yard during warmer months, it's not enough to keep me healthy.

One way or another, we all should be getting adequate amounts of exercise. If you are fortunate to get that through your job, great. If not, find another way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I notice that, as I age, stretches and exersizes are important to keep the random and seasonal hard physical work from either beating me up too bad or even injury in some cases.

Couple years back, I took some ongoing side gigs, running a shovel. Teenager work for a guy pushing 60. :rolleyes: On top of the large three-season garden I maintain, this was brutal work. I was forced to find ways to warm up and cool down from these intense jobs or risk injury that would have stopped me.

Even on a smaller scale, running a mouse and or fishing rod (meat fisherman here) has had me in tears with hand pain in the middle of the night. If I stay on the appropriate stretches, exersizes and nerve flossing, I find that I can keep the repetitive stress injury at bay.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I notice that, as I age, stretches and exersizes are important to keep the random and seasonal hard physical work from either beating me up too bad or even injury in some cases.

Couple years back, I took some ongoing side gigs, running a shovel. Teenager work for a guy pushing 60. :rolleyes: On top of the large three-season garden I maintain, this was brutal work. I was forced to find ways to warm up and cool down from these intense jobs or risk injury that would have stopped me.

Even on a smaller scale, running a mouse and or fishing rod (meat fisherman here) has had me in tears with hand pain in the middle of the night. If I stay on the appropriate stretches, exersizes and nerve flossing, I find that I can keep the repetitive stress injury at bay.
    My wife and I do a 12-15 minute stretching routine every morning. I roll out of bed pretty tight. Like hard to bend down and put my socks on tight. After the exercises, we are good to go. I've been more consistent the past 5 months at the gym so it gets better, but it flares up when I have a day where I don't leave my chair enough...like yesterday...and now today, ugh.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Working on a homestead and all the other activities I do, I have made a conscious effort to make sure my strength and cardio is well rounded. Farm work, while hard work, does tend to create imbalances in strength that can cause serious problems.

I'll check her channel out, looks promising.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Nice thread bw. And thanks for the youtube channel referral.

The OG and I get quite the workout moving around big rounds while making firewood. We've learned to warm up and cool down over the course of the day and take care to not over do it.

Top Bottom