• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think the real point is that most sensible people would rather that law enforcement types spend more of their time trying to arrest those who pose an actual threat to us (gun-toting thugs, rapists, robbers, chicks putting on make-up in rush-hour traffic) and less time trying to arrest those who pose little or no threat to us (pot smoker, pot grower, pot seller, pot possessor).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I think the real point is that most sensible people would rather that law enforcement types spend more of their time trying to arrest those who pose an actual threat to us (gun-toting thugs, rapists, robbers, chicks putting on make-up in rush-hour traffic) and less time trying to arrest those who pose little or no threat to us (pot smoker, pot grower, pot seller, pot possessor).

:+1: We need the police to deal with actual problems, not make an effort to manufacture them.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That or vegetables. After all, we just can't be having nefarious vendors of broccoli!
    The context of the post I was replying to was about aquarium-ists getting raided :).

But yeah... First Amendment - say something that somebody perceives as threatening and you're a terrorist and have no rights... Fourth Amendment - innocuous activities leading to warrants that find nothing due to lacking or fabricated probable cause.

Our fore fathers have likely rolled in their graves thousands of times by now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The context of the post I was replying to was about aquarium-ists getting raided :).

But yeah... First Amendment - say something that somebody perceives as threatening and you're a terrorist and have no rights... Fourth Amendment - innocuous activities leading to warrants that find nothing due to lacking or fabricated probable cause.

Our fore fathers have likely rolled in their graves thousands of times by now.

I had gathered both to apply. The new thing is to raise fish suitable for food and pump the water through hydroponic growing beds and also raise vegetables (and purify the water to return to the fist) in a closed cycle that requires only feeding the fish and harvesting.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Originally Posted by Titanium Man
    I think aircraft can pick up the heat signature.

Several times recently, I have heard a small airplane flying in my area late at night. Always wondered what they were doing. The way it would be staying in the area, either in circles or back and forth would seem to rule out commuter transport or travel, and the late night hour would also seem to rule out pleasure flying.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I think aircraft can pick up the heat signature.

Birds equipped with flir can and police do fly around looking for unusual hot spots .

Once they find them , they can check your utility bills and look for energy spikes , it all adds up to PC .

Next thing you know you've got storm troopers in your house .

The info is from 95 but it wouldn't surprise me if they still did it today .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Birds equipped with flir can and police do fly around looking for unusual hot spots .

Once they find them , they can check your utility bills and look for energy spikes , it all adds up to PC .

The notion of using a remote sensing device to examine the inside of one's home or other buildings without a warrant seems to defeat the purpose of the 4th Amendment, fact that this is commonplace notwithstanding.

Using this to build a PC case strikes me as being similar to the way I used to write research papers--decide what I had to say and then finding corroborating sources to establish my original point. Here, we have an invasive search which leads in turn to examining records which would otherwise be free from scrutiny in the search for actionable 'probable cause'. It really seems backwards. What do we do when they start using magnetic anomaly detectors to find concentrations of steel which *could* be guns as PC for raids on suspicion of gun trafficking?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Not supposed to since 2001, SCOTUS found using heat sensors was a search and required a warrant in Kyllo v US.
    Kyllo v. United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The notion of using a remote sensing device to examine the inside of one's home or other buildings without a warrant seems to defeat the purpose of the 4th Amendment, fact that this is commonplace notwithstanding.
    They are now required to obtain a warrant, see the link above.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It took 2 years and $25,000 for an innocent family to find out why they were raided by paramilitary troopers.

“This not what justice in the United States is supposed to be. You shouldn’t have to have $25,000, even $5,000. You shouldn’t have to have that kind of money to find out why people came raiding your house like some sort of police state.”

Family raided by SWAT because cops found discarded tea leaves in trash | Police State USA

[video=youtube;4BJXD4iLn6g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJXD4iLn6g[/video]

Top Bottom