Factory Optics Ready pistols that are good to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last night my uncle came over to get a feel for some different guns and how they work, handle and shoot. He's not a gun guy. He's done some coon hunting growing up with a single shot 22lr bolt gun. He's older with hearing aids and wants something to protect his home and family.

Last night I let him shoot a variety of handguns from a 38 snubby, 1911, glock & M&P etc. Of all of those, he liked the grip of M&P2.0 compact the best and said that was his favorite. He also liked when I swapped uppers on a G17 and let him run a red dot optic which he really liked also. I think he'd do really well with an M&P C.O.R.E. or any other M&P 2.0 that can have an optic mounted directly to it.

My concerns are that I don't have any experience with C.O.R.E. pistols. I've had nothing but bad luck with Glock MOS and I won't recommend one of those to him. I am wondering what else is out there that's good to go from the factory that'll take a red dot optic and run reliably.

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    I've sold my g17 after getting this
    Canik elite combat executive
    4d197cf90848b131aac862e997017547.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    P365 XL, fits some of the Holosun models which seem to be good to go and don't break the bank. Mounted mine up and function checked, etc fine. Still need to get it actually sighted in as this was my first go with a red dot on a pistol like this.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    The Walther, H&K and FN systems are GTG as is Staccato. Manufacturers that use plastic mounting plates should be avoided like the plague IMHO. The S&W system is probably the one of the worse optics systems I have seen yet. But then again the M&P was almost designed as badly for red dots as the Berreta 92 was.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Honestly getting a slide milled for for a particular optic still seems to be the best route to go in terms of fit and robustness of the mount. As Dean said, plastic adapter plates are absolute trash and should not be used.

The FN 509 MRD series of optics ready pistols seem to be getting better reviews than most of the OEM optic ready slides. Aaron Cowen from Sage Dynamics consulted with FN on the design.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    If he likes the M&P (I do too) I would recommend against the C.O.R.E models. I had a bad experience, and though I don't believe my experience is typical the event just highlighted too many issues with S&W's design. More here.

If I had it to do over again, I would have purchased a standard model and had the slide milled for a traditional or fully enclosed dot.

If you go the M&P C.O.R.E route, I strongly suggest planning on an aftermarket plate. I used C&H Precision Weapon systems. They turned out to be great to work with, and their new plate design for the 509T is cheaper than when mine was done.

Another option, and likely to be my next purchase, is the Leupold DeltaPoint Micro. At first I was quite skeptical, but the reviews from people whose opinions I respect have been extremely positive (Kyle Lamb and Karl Kasarda). InRangeTV did a nice review, which demonstrated surprising real world performance, the video is available here. The M&P model doesn't appear to be available yet, but I am hopeful they will be on the shelves by early October.

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I've had good luck so far with s Shadow Systems MR920 with RMR and just recently picked up an M&P M2 optics ready (using the CHPWS plate with an SRO). Looking forward to putting more rounds through the M&P but have had no issues with either gun so far.

tempImage5liSgK.jpg

tempImageyXW6OC.jpg

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys and please keep it coming. I had no idea the C.O.R.E. models were using a plastic plate. I would have been pissed if I opened a box and saw that.

The direct mount seems to make the most sense to me and Ideally I'd like to avoid any kind of plate at all.

Top Bottom