• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corben1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2010
    Greenup, Il
    I’m an old “F”er and have not competed in F Class for over 20 years.
    I thought perhaps you would like a little true history on the sport. I knew well the instigator, George Farquarson. That’s where the F comes from. George lived in British Columbia and was an old shooter that suffered age related problems, as we all will if we live long enough. Ol’ George made an appeal to the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association to start a class that had few restrictions, and they did just that. Not a tremendous amount of entrants that first year, but enough interest for the allowance of continued growth. George was so excited about his new game that he didn’t bring enough ammo to complete the Canadian National Matches in Ottawa and I had to loan him enough ammunition to finish.
    I could look at the records to see what year this took place, but this was about thirty five years ago. Quite a few years before the NRA got in gear here in the States.

Ol’ George is long gone, but his F Class had legs and has experienced fast growth worldwide. George is dancing in the heavens!

In the beginnings it was a shorts and flip flops game. Very relaxed. From what I see today it is an equipment race. The one rule that was missed in a game of few rules was about trips from your conveyance to the firing line. There should be a one trip restriction in some class that cuts equipment to a minimum and makes it easy to get a foot in the door, while winning on ability alone. Just a thought. Have fun
    “F”er’s

BradV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2019
    Brownsburg
    This is a great thread. I am going to check into it more. Are there age restrictions? I'm looking for a family activity. All the way to my grandkids.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    This is a great thread. I am going to check into it more. Are there age restrictions? I'm looking for a family activity. All the way to my grandkids.
    I can check to make sure, but there might be a minimum age. There are ways around it. Anyone under 18 will have to sign a waiver I believe. Not necessarily our (CIHPRS) rules, but the base's rules.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    At the risk of thread hijack...Long range traditional F-Class has morphed into F-Class silhouette, both centerfire and rimfire and multiple long range rimfire. I've been reading up on the new F-Class Rimfire Silhouette and thinking this may have a home at RCC (Riley Conservation Club).

F-Class position with a waiver to 60+ age group (benches) on silhouette targets at 100 meters. The steel targets make scoring easy, just hit or miss. Challenging targets per the distance eliminates endless ties for 1st place. NASSA rules and standardized targets.....as a MD, I'm pretty okay with all of that. Stay tuned...if it works out we'll pick up in the Shooting Sports thread in the spring.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Could you please elaborate on this?
    I probably should've worded that a bit different.
    North America Silhouette Shooting Association is a new organization loosely based around getting silo matches under a single umbrella. They appear to be open to spin-off events (I improperly used the word morphed) and allow better forum coverage and standardization of rules, time limits, courses of fire, target size, etc.

In reference to the link (hope I did that right), a game they describe is similar to the matches I hold at RCC is listed as Benchrest/F-Class Silhouette and seems appealing. In a nutshell, you are allowed a front bag, bipod, or traditional Benchrest rest, but you must shoulder the rear without the support hand touching the gun behind the trigger guard. Silo targets are all at 100m. 1/5 scale chicken (NRA 22 rifle) and then 1/10 (air pistol size) pig, turkey, and ram. 10 targets of each. Rifles must meet current rulebook specs for NRA Silo Smallbore Standard Rifle.

I like the challenge. Others will not.

Top Bottom