• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The extractor claw in my AR-15 is leaving behind small brass chips. Which would be better remove and stone down extractor claw or replace? If replacing is best where’s a good place to order one.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Was this a new/unfired rifle or build before this started? There can be some sharp edges on things at first until parts wear in a bit. Not uncommon for me to see this with new builds/rifles during the early round counts. If it's just small pieces or almost powder-ish size particles, I'd give it some time before I'd be concerned. Just speculating at this point, don't know what you know or how bad it is. Got a pic for reference?

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    If it is extracting well and your not concerned with reloading I would keep on shooting. Hit brownells for a couple as they are good to have on hand anyhow.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    It’s a new S&W MP-15 maybe a 100 rounds. Not much experience with AR. What happened it was feeding a round and the bolt did not close and became stuck. Brought home and gently tapped charge handle until the bolt became free. Inspected case and inside of rifle found small pieces of brass with some in the chamber that dented the shoulder of the case that was jammed. Will try to get some pics posted.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s a new S&W MP-15 maybe a 100 rounds. Not much experience with AR. What happened it was feeding a round and the bolt did not close and became stuck. Brought home and gently tapped charge handle until the bolt became free. Inspected case and inside of rifle found small pieces of brass with some in the chamber that dented the shoulder of the case that was jammed. Will try to get some pics posted.
    OK this is a completely different deal than what you originally posted.
    It is hard enough to diagnose anything over the good old interwebs and with only half the info it gets even harder.

Pics of the BCG as well.....:)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Aw hell, just choot it and be prepared to ‘Nam it every now and then!!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    OK this is a completely different deal than what you originally posted.
    It is hard enough to diagnose anything over the good old interwebs and with only half the info it gets even harder.

Pics of the BCG as well.....:)
    Agreed. Now we're talking things like a gun not cleaned/lubed properly, mag issues, ammo issues, etc.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Keep shooting it, it needs to be broken in. Most likely manufacturers tooling was getting worn and needed to be changed out. You'll be much further ahead purchasing a spare BCG. If you have some mechanical chops... take a micro file set & magnifier light... you can knock off any large rough edge burs and do a lite polish (not removing material, just making polishing surface)

Top Bottom