• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Hi, newbie here thinking about selling in the classifieds for the first time. I've scanned through the pinned threads on the forum/classifieds rules, and also done a search, but couldn't find the answers to the following questions, so please pardon me if they've already been answered elsewhere and I missed it.

I'm selling a part, and I want to offer to ship the item, but I've never done this sort of thing online before, so I'm not really sure how the process works. I do understand how to ship an item, and how online payments work, I'm just wondering about the process in terms of the following:

1) Is the general expectation that the buyer pays first, then the seller ships once payment is received? Or vice versa? Or does it just depend on what the buyer/seller work out with each other?

2) If there is a general expectation that the buyer pays first, would it be appropriate for someone like me who has no reviews yet to offer the option to established members with good reviews that I would ship first then wait for payment once the item is received?

3) I have used online processors like Paypal before, but I don't really like to use them if I can avoid it. Is it generally acceptable to offer for the buyer to mail me a check payment instead, or is this considered bad practice?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's entirely up to you. All forms you mentioned work.

If it's an established member, most will ship and send payments at the same time. If the member isn't on much or is new with 52 posts, most will require payment first then ship when that is received.

Yes, things happen where one doesn't hold up there end of the bargain but that is pretty rare.

The amount can make a difference too. A $20 Magpul stock vs an real AGOG. Payment first.

It's a trust thing. Whatever you and the buyer decide on. If your uneasy, require payment first.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    It's entirely up to you. All forms you mentioned work.

If it's an established member, most will ship and send payments at the same time. If the member isn't on much or is new with 52 posts, most will require payment first then ship when that is received.

Yes, things happen where one doesn't hold up there end of the bargain but that is pretty rare.

The amount can make a difference too. A $20 Magpul stock vs an real AGOG. Payment first.

It's a trust thing. Whatever you and the buyer decide on. If your uneasy, require payment first.
    Thanks!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I wouldn't take a check. Postal Money order protects both parties a bit if you or they are not comfortable with something like PayPal, etc. Is my 2 cents.

I've usually had folks pay first before shipping and haven't had anyone have an issue with that. I've done the same for trusted members by paying first, including PayPal. That said, my transactions that have not been FTF were not super high $.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom