• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It would have been better if the heroes weren’t infallible Mary Sue’s or Gary Stu’s and the villains weren’t complete idiots. She’s presenting a controversial moral principle. That she didn’t have other characters challenge her ideas through strong counter arguments, why should we suspect that she bothered to put that much thought into it?

Things like claimimg that competence is a moral virtue—especially that it’s the highest moral virtue—is one of the reasons I stepped away from the edge of her ideological world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It will take more reading than that if I am to keep up with jamil and Rand.

Rand has some valid observations in the book.
    That’s a really long book. Just consider it a long term project and block out an hour or two each day and you’ll be done before you know it.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    That’s a really long book. Just consider it a long term project and block out an hour or two each day and you’ll be done before you know it.
    But I only have so many hours in a day...and after your posts, I have even less.

If you could write better to accommodate me... Well, you know.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I chuckle but I can be just as bad.
    Haha, same.

Haven’t read the book.

Enjoyed the thread, especially the parts where Jamil didn’t get offended by people teasing him about his sometimes long posts.

It’s not that I don’t like a lot of creamer in my coffee, I just don’t like coffee.

I think Jamils posts are generally informative, and I can also enjoy some extra-descriptive prose from time to time. It’s all about taste.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    And "sustainability"....

Such commie bull****.
    Make no mistake, sustainability is a good thing.
    It’s when the evil b******s co-opt the meaning, the very word itself, to twist it into the opposite of what it actually is, i.e. “you have to meet this requirement” but spend so many resources to do it just to score enviropoints or even better yet wokepoints.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Haha, same.

Haven’t read the book.

Enjoyed the thread, especially the parts where Jamil didn’t get offended by people teasing him about his sometimes long posts.

It’s not that I don’t like a lot of creamer in my coffee, I just don’t like coffee.

I think Jamils posts are generally informative, and I can also enjoy some extra-descriptive prose from time to time. It’s all about taste.
    Thanks. I know I tend to post streams of unabridged thought. I find it funny too.

In my criticisms about this book I tried to be more objective than matters of simply preference. Almost no one likes tomato juice in their coffee. But if you do, there’s probably a reason behind it that has nothing to do with preferences.

That’s kinda what I think about those opinions which deny that there are even legitimate criticisms. Why not say, yeah, the writing isn’t perfect but I agree with the message? It’s probably not that you really thing she’s a great writer. Surely the problems with her writing would be more noticeable if the reader only had a casual connection with the message.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Close to finishing the read.

In the interest of brevity, a definition which even a jamil posting session may meet through comparison, I will state:

A book worth reading filled with numerous valid points folks would do well to learn or remind themselves of.

Top Bottom