• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    About 45 years ago. I wasn't as aware back then, I'm sure I would get a lot more out of it now.

That and 1984 depict where we are today, sadly. In a few years the trains and especially planes will probably stop running and then we'll be there.

I did find some of the romantic parts a bit silly, not Rand's forte, but doesn't detract from the book overall.

I bought a copy for my daughter, who has never actually opened it. Maybe some day for her...

And who IS John Galt in our day and age?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It should be rewritten, they could clean it up and not make it so ponderous in parts but it should be mandatory reading in high school
    Well I can see this won’t be a popular opinion. Atlas Shrugged is probably one of the worst novels ever written. Rand, as a writer, is WAY overrated. Atlas Shrugged was her attempt to explain Objectivism, and a defense of Capitalism through storytelling. She just really sucks at storytelling. And it’s too bad. There are some redeeming points. Just poorly executed.

I’ll look through my notes that point to some of the worst turns of phrases ever penned, and post them later.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Now that’s an excellent book. A bit dry as most academic books tend to be. But at least he didn’t fancy himself as a novelist. He knows his lane. I’ve incorporated a lot of Conflict of Visions into my own thinking.

Yes, it wasn't the easiest book I ever read. Took me a while as I remember reading every line 2-3 times.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    About 45 years ago. I wasn't as aware back then, I'm sure I would get a lot more out of it now.

That and 1984 depict where we are today, sadly. In a few years the trains and especially planes will probably stop running and then we'll be there.

I did find some of the romantic parts a bit silly, not Rand's forte, but doesn't detract from the book overall.

I bought a copy for my daughter, who has never actually opened it. Maybe some day for her...

And who IS John Galt in our day and age?
    Honestly I think Rand would have done better—though not a lot better—if she’d kept to academic writing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Here’s a gem:

A gray cotton, which was neither quite fog nor clouds, hung in sloppy wads between sky and mountains, making the sky look like an old mattress spilling its stuffing down the sides of the peaks. A crusted snow covered the ground, belonging neither to winter nor to spring. A net of moisture hung in the air, and she felt an icy pinprick on her face once in a while, which was neither a raindrop nor a snowflake. The weather seemed afraid to take a stand and clung noncommittally to some sort of—

JUST GET TO THE ***DAMN POINT!

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Honestly I think Rand would have done better—though not a lot better—if she’d kept to academic writing.

And certainly not script writing.

My opinion, the cult status of Ayn Rand has actually been a distraction from the best of her ideas.

Mises, Hayek, Friedman, Rothbard, Higgs, Sowell, Williams are all good reading. Second only to the Bible.

Top Bottom