Ever been an IDPA or USPSA match shot with .22's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    Not meaning to drift this thread about IDPA and USPSA but since steel challenges were mentioned, how many "strings" do you take at each stage? I seem to recall the couple I did you got like 5 tries.

If that is correct, with ammo being the way it is, could one just shoot three strings? That would be a 40% reduction in ammo consumption. It would also make the match move faster.

Done all the time at the beginning and end of the season at evening matches for outlaw steel. At a sanctioned SCSA that would take a rule change.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Done all the time at the beginning and end of the season at evening matches for outlaw steel. At a sanctioned SCSA that would take a rule change.

If someone didn't want to shoot all the strings at a sanctioned match, would they be allowed to? Without being considered in the ranking?

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    At our Tuesday practice night we allowed people to do this. It worked out fine.

This would all not be sanctioned of course

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    If someone didn't want to shoot all the strings at a sanctioned match, would they be allowed to? Without being considered in the ranking?

Technically, I think you would just take "failure to hit stop plate" penalties for the strings you did not shoot. You could shoot 4/5 and conserve a little if you wanted a real score.
    If you have a USPSA number and the club is submitting results as they should, the times would count. However, as steel challenge only considers your best times and not a revolving door like USPSA, I would not worry about that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hopefully, things will get better and I won't have to be concerned with ammo shortages and/or high prices. I'd like to try my hand at some action pistol this upcoming year, but if things don't loosen up, I'll need to figure out ways to not burn too much ammo over a weekend.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    I’m looking forward to trying Rimfire Falling Steel in 2021. I wasn’t able to make any of the 2020 matches.

I tried .22 class at Friday Night Steel once and found it frustrating. Lots of extra shots compared to shooting the 9mm. The plate rack only fell if I hit the very top of the plate, and on the stationary plates I couldn’t pick up the ping and either took extras, or thought I was done and then the RO says I missed one and I had to re-engage. I suppose a real SCSA match where they paint the targets between shooters would be better.

USPSA with a .22 would be fun, but I’d have to buy some more mags and a carrier.

MrMunster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    I would suggest that you contact the MD at your local IDPA club as this is allowed, at their discretion, in a Tier 1 (Club) match under Rule 8.2.10. Your IDPA SC/AC is also a great resource for these types of questions.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I’m looking forward to trying Rimfire Falling Steel in 2021. I wasn’t able to make any of the 2020 matches.

I tried .22 class at Friday Night Steel once and found it frustrating. Lots of extra shots compared to shooting the 9mm. The plate rack only fell if I hit the very top of the plate, and on the stationary plates I couldn’t pick up the ping and either took extras, or thought I was done and then the RO says I missed one and I had to re-engage. I suppose a real SCSA match where they paint the targets between shooters would be better.

USPSA with a .22 would be fun, but I’d have to buy some more mags and a carrier.
    This!
    A USPSA match with .22 would be cool, you could allow pistols and rifles. I know I have ten times more .22 than I do reloading components for my USPSA gun right now. Probable a lot of guys in the same situation.

Who else would go?

E7Wrangler

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2016
    Central
    Can anyone point me to information about the wildcat valley falling plate matchs mentioned above? I can't find any mention of these matches on their website but maybe I am just blind.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Can anyone point me to information about the wildcat valley falling plate matchs mentioned above? I can't find any mention of these matches on their website but maybe I am just blind.
    I would watch ingo when spring/early summer hits. It was really just getting off the ground this past year. There's not much info out there on it yet.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Probably too early in the year for any info to be posted yet. Last year rimfire falling steel was on the sunday after Saturday's USPSA match.
    You can findthe rules and divisions on RFFS website. Wildcat was not running any 2 gun divisions last year

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    This was the original post for 2020:

I expect we’ll see a post on here when the 2021 dates get closer.

Top Bottom