Ever been an IDPA or USPSA match shot with .22's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Looking at a pile of .22 ammo and maybe enough primers to last until you can buy primers and I got to wondering?

Obviously you would have to leave steel in the shed.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I shot a ICORE regional match in Michigan last year. Match was the most steel I ever saw at a match. Match IIRC was 250 rounds and half was steel. Two stars and tons of poppers, lots of plates on stands.
    1 or 2 shooters shot rimfire revolver.
    I guess that is a thing up there and while I didn't shoot with them I asked one of them about the poppers and especally the star and he said he didn't have any problems with them:dunno:
    I think it could be fun and a great distraction from all the other things going on in the world.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I shot falling steel out to 50 yards in 1985 with a 22. It can be done the steel has to be set up to drop when hit. Setting the racks level has a lot to do with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Years ago I shot with a club in South Dakota. Only one bay so we just shot the same stage multiple times with different guns. One of the divisions was Rimfire. Stage start from the low ready, steel just had to be hit and not knocked over.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What about airsoft? I mean it can punch through the paper target.

The first Biden and Pelosi got their way in 1994 we got Limited 10. So what you are suggesting.........

(I don’t know if what I said is true, just making and joke. OK, kind of making a joke.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I shoot steel at my range with my .22. It knocks down the plate rack just fine. The dueling tree and Texas Star; nada.

I an plink away at the dueling tree and all it does is move the plate a little.

If I hammer on the Texas Star with rapid fire, multiple rounds, it may drop a plate. Most often you just see it moving.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The plates used at the club I belonged to back then were made out of 3/8 steel. The club had no caliber limit other than pistol only. The devil is in the details the rack has to be level and they did something no one want to do these days they took care of there equipment and oiled the pins and cleaned the lead spatter off the racks.
    They had a crew of 1/2 dozen people for set up and they all worked not 1 or 2 set up people and everyone else shows just in time to shoot then run and leave the tare down to everyone else.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    My son when he was younger shot IDPA at Bend of the River CC in Niles using a .22. Let him shoot low ready, worked up to a mag change. Was a great way to get him started. Holes were tiny and sometimes finding his hits early on were a challenge..... but it was great they let him shoot that way. Not been to a match that was specific to .22, have been to a couple of steel matches that had .22 rifles being used at North Porter Con. Club in Valpo a few years ago.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not meaning to drift this thread about IDPA and USPSA but since steel challenges were mentioned, how many "strings" do you take at each stage? I seem to recall the couple I did you got like 5 tries.

If that is correct, with ammo being the way it is, could one just shoot three strings? That would be a 40% reduction in ammo consumption. It would also make the match move faster.

Top Bottom