• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just read a artical in the Evansville Courier Press about the guy at the zoo. They are trying to make him sound like a fool, even had a lawyer from Indy say that he should have concealed his gun when asked. Sounds like some liberal BS to me!

link? That doesn't help the city's case b/c it implies that carrying is legal.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The EPD has a pretty good reputation. I don't think we have real thugs on the force. I'm NOT surprised that the "perp" (sorry about that, Mr. Frost:D) didn't accidently fall down and get his arm broken, face scratched or noggin smacked.

EPD was the original department in the case that ISSC Justice David used as a basis for the essential gutting of our 4th Amendment protections.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Dang, I'm recanting what I said earlier. This should be an easy pro-2nd win..... assumng the law is followed.

I'd be pissed too if I was expelled for a legal act because it offends the "sensiblilities" of others. I'm not an OC fan, but legal is legal.

And using children as a defense... please. Children see countless violent ats related to firearms every day; and it's not just the adult programming. Transformers anyone? Walk into the boys section of any toy section, and you'll find action figures with more "play" firepower than a Navy Seal detactment. Do parents damage that these films not be shown? Do they demand that these toys be taken off the shelves? Parents have the choice whether or not to expose their child to such things. And unless the person at Mesker was holding people by the scalp forcing them to look at his firearm, they still had a choice. They could leave anytime they wanted. It's not their right to impose their sense of what is correct upon others, especially, when the actions of the person in question are 100% legal.

:xmad: ok ok ok even though I know no one will disagree with me, I had to rant.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dang, I'm recanting what I said earlier. This should be an easy pro-2nd win..... assumng the law is followed.

I'd be pissed too if I was expelled for a legal act because it offends the "sensiblilities" of others. I'm not an OC fan, but legal is legal.

And using children as a defense... please. Children see countless violent ats related to firearms every day; and it's not just the adult programming. Transformers anyone? Walk into the boys section of any toy section, and you'll find action figures with more "play" firepower than a Navy Seal detactment. Do parents damage that these films not be shown? Do they demand that these toys be taken off the shelves? Parents have the choice whether or not to expose their child to such things. And unless the person at Mesker was holding people by the scalp forcing them to look at his firearm, they still had a choice. They could leave anytime they wanted. It's not their right to impose their sense of what is correct upon others, especially, when the actions of the person in question are 100% legal.

:xmad: ok ok ok even though I know no one will disagree with me, I had to rant.

Wow, seems like an awful lot of inner turmoil to not violate our rights :D

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Wow***,,I attempted to post a comment on the papers' website and got a screen that says that my thoughts needed to be 'reviewed by the staff' prior to them being posted.....

Guess I'll have to see if it gets posted. :dunno:

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    It sounds like someone should goto the zoo, pick a shirt color, tell tke zoo they don't like that color and have them leave.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    "A man who caused a commotion recently when he refused to conceal his handgun while at Mesker Park Zoo & Botanic Garden was within his rights to do so..."

I think they meant: "The police caused a commotion recently when a man refused the unlawful order to conceal his handgun while at Mesker Park Zoo & Botanic Garden because he was within his rights to do so..."

Or perhaps they meant exact what they said... I'm surprised at the bias of their "reporting".

I just don't believe anybody was causing a scene until the cops came along making up laws as they go. I can't wait to hear the outcome! I hope it is posted here.

Ps please let us know when this thread is read in court!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow***,,I attempted to post a comment on the papers' website and got a screen that says that my thoughts needed to be 'reviewed by the staff' prior to them being posted.....

Guess I'll have to see if it gets posted. :dunno:

Why do I doubt that they will find any thoughts that most of us will have as acceptable... they might create a scene after all.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Here is the link: Gun-toting man at Mesker Zoo causes commotion | POLL » Evansville Courier & Press

I am very surprised at the comments of Bryan Ciyou. One would think the author of an Indiana firearms reference manual would understand our new preemption statute and an Indiana citizen's right to OC.

It is fundamentally wrong to say "the police were correct to request the man to hide the gun from public view." On city property, it was ILLEGAL for police to order my client to conceal his firearm.

By the way, there is a poll attached to the article. INGOers should express their opinion.

Guy

I have stated before that Brian Ciyou IS NOT AN OPEN CARRY ADVOCATE. It is surprising that someone who has researched Indiana code so thoroughly would be opposed to open carry, but he is. I stated this in another thread:
    I bought Brian Ciyou's book at the last 1500. As I was reading it, I found his position on concealed carry stated in the Q&A section of his book. He states on page 199 under the License to Carry section:
    ...all prudent Licensees will carry his or her handgun in a concealed manner for several reasons. <snip> ...exposed carry invites the person to be a target by a criminal in criminal activity; there is no element of surprise.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Why do I doubt that they will find any thoughts that most of us will have as acceptable... they might create a scene after all.

It does seem that the only comments that have been 'reviewed and allowed' are ones that in one way or another support the view of the Courier Press....

Maybe it's the 'IndianaGunToter' screen name I chose to post under? :D :dunno:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Here's the Facebook page for Mesker Park Zoo. Hmmm....

http://www.facebook.com/#!/MeskerParkZoo

The City of Evansville does not have a FB site.

Update, here's what I posted on Mesker Park's FB site:

After reading about Mesker Park's illegal policy of evicting lawfully licensed persons practicing their 2nd Amendment rights, my family will not be frequenting your establishment. You at Mesker Park should read up on Indiana Code. You should also understand that the lawfully licensed gun owner is not the threat. The threat comes from those who do not have any concern for the law and they will most likely carry anyway, regardless of any policy.

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have stated before that Brian Ciyou IS NOT AN OPEN CARRY ADVOCATE. It is surprising that someone who has researched Indiana code so thoroughly would be opposed to open carry, but he is. I stated this in another thread:

It's not just open carry - I refused to buy the third edition of his book after I read in the second edition (the red one) that if a person breaks into your home and is swinging a baseball bat at you, you should flee your home instead of defending yourself. (Page 115.)

His point is that there is a "reasonableness" component to the Castle Doctrine statute (just like every other provision of Indiana's self-defense statute), but that comment is fundamentally inconsistent with the meaning of the Castle Doctrine, including the express statement in the statute that there is no duty to retreat.

With that background, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he apparently doesn't understand the preemption statute either.

I do acknowledge Kirk's point that Bryan may have been misquoted or had his comments taken out of context. As an INGO advertiser, I assume Bryan will say so here if that's true.

Guy

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What pictures? Are you saying you got your picture taken when you applied for your LTCH? I live right next door(Warrick Co) and I didn't.

Yes. When I applied, I was told that they were/have a photo data base that they keep on all applicants. I was not given an option but was made to believe that this is " procedure " . I question this and wonder the true reasoning since I have already provided all information to the state. Have been told by license branch that they can see that I have a license to carry, when I was stopped by ISP they asked if I was carrying, all information is provided when they " run " your drivers license.

We have had several Officers on here confirm many times that LTCH info is NOT on the DL database. If they knew you had one, they either looked it up in a separate system, or perhaps you have a pro gun bumper sticker?

As for the picture? Not legally required.. They lied to you.

:hijack:
    Roadie correct the LTCH info is NOT in the Indiana DMW Driver's License database. btgarner0 was referrig to the "database" that the local PD (evansville I think) kept/keeps on all LTCH applications that they took/take. They had the practice of keeping a local database until (now) Senator T. Jones put a stop to it. he (before he became senator) was also photoed I think and that cause him to run for office (part of it) and get the issue fixed. I don't thik that the local PD is going that anymore but not sure what they did with the old data that had.

^THIS! :+1:

My personal view of Ciyou is almost on par with the NRA. They are "semi" pro-2A.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Bryan is right, the police can ASK you to conceal. You can refuse.

No, he was quoted as saying the police were CORRECT to ask my client to conceal his handgun. That is absolutely wrong. And even "asking" someone to conceal, under the authority of a uniform and a badge, is an attempt to enforce an illegal policy on the "carrying of firearms."

And for the sake of accuracy, my client wasn't "asked" to do anything.

Guy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom