• ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    It might be just specific models?

I have a Samsung 50" TV I bought in 2008 had a few bad capacitors from the red Chinese ones that MANY manufacturers got stuck with that I replaced the caps myself in about 2011, and the TV still works fine.

I also bought a Samsung 65" back in early 2016 that has been flawless.

Not sure that it is a specific model, it was pretty across the board from what I gathered. I think it is more like "entry model" guns. Like if you get Brand X pistol that is two-thirds the typical cost of M&P / Glock / Sig 365. They can make a gun that runs fine for the entire time you have it, but you have a higher chance of getting one that does not.

Hope that made sense. I was trying to avoid a thread jack and 'offend' anyone that loves Brand X. :):

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, we have a tv on the deck that really wouldn't lend itself to hardwiring, plus one in the livingroom, and 3 others in separate bedrooms.
    That would be more difficult than my setup.
    I just have never had my TV's connected to the Internet and I never will.
    So if I had your situation, I'd need to come up with a solution.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That would be more difficult than my setup.
    I just have never had my TV's connected to the Internet and I never will.
    So if I had your situation, I'd need to come up with a solution.
    I *think* only one of our tv's connect to the internet automatically. Ironically, it's not connected to our cable, but it's able to receive stuff from our wifi. We got it as a little cheap tv to have in the grandkids' room to watch dvd's. It can connect to youtube, I know that much. And you know what kind of stuff is on youtube, and it's not all kid-friendly.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Assuming this isn't just another honey trap for liberty lovers, I'm all for it. Gotta be careful when it comes to such things. The CIA has plenty of shell companies. I'll be interested to hear what the security experts have to say about it.
    Prince literally worked for the cia for years as the go to company to get **** done.

Listen to the shawn Ryan show interview.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Neither do any of the major providers as far as text messages. Apple can be set to auto store in the iCloud, but that's not the carrier.

Unless they are building out there own infrastructure of towers and transmission systems, of course they aren't storing location data. I'm figuring they'll do like all the other minor players, they'll buy access from the bigs. The bigs then store your location data, and that's who gets the warrant anyway. I'm sure they aren't building their own infrastructure.

What do you want to bet their OS isn't as secure as Apple's OS? A locked modern iPhone is extremely secure and difficult to 'crack'. If this OS isn't hacked it's because they didn't sell enough to be bothered with.

I suspect marketing over utility, but folks can decide as they like. I'll stick with a major provider with priority network access. I'd rather have my phone(s) work in an emergency than be worried "they" are watching me.

Fun fact: If your car is cell network enabled, your location is tracked regardless of if you have the service activated. Probably by AT&T.
    Not so much on Apple security. This is less than a month ago.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Blackwaters gone, its been Constellis for what 10 years now. They learned an expensive lesson years ago.
    Under Constellis is
    Triple Canopy
    TDI
    Centerra
    AMK9
    Olive Group
    Omniex and Academi.

Is / was. The post had the names loosely grouped together and seemed to read as being the same.

Correction: Triple Canopy was a different company from Blackwater (who underwent rebranding a few times then was sold).

Is this a variant of being a grammar nazi?

Back to the regularly programmed topic: I agree that I'm curious to see what a deeper dissection of the phone, when it's released, shows. Ideally the Tesla phone will become available sooner than the Blackwater phone, but Musk has a few irons in the fire at the moment. I believe that Musk has a true belief in free speech and minimal invasion into privacy. Personally I' d prefer the Tesla phone to the Blackwater phone, either way competition is good. #capitalism

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    How would that work for multiple TVs though? I don't want to have to tote my laptop around to different rooms to watch TV. Plus I assume it needs to be hardwired?
    Rich Americans.

Multiple TVs

Probably have more than one car too.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Is / was. The post had the names loosely grouped together and seemed to read as being the same.

Correction: Triple Canopy was a different company from Blackwater (who underwent rebranding a few times then was sold).

Is this a variant of being a grammar nazi?
    Why yes, yes it is or was.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not so much on Apple security. This is less than a month ago.

No security is 100% and it's foolish to think any security will be. Particularly when users can download and/or execute code on the device. Lock users out of admin rights and they can't be social engineered into installing security bypasses for hackers, but most people want to be able to have admin rights.

Regardless, some systems are more secure than others and it's pretty widely accepted Apple is the safest at the moment. Particularly if you don't install your own bypass. The best password in the world is useless if you write it down and leave it next to the phone...

If users install most of their own hacks/exploits themselves, do you think less quality control and oversite on the 'app store' equivalent will make devices more or less safe?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Back to the regularly programmed topic: I agree that I'm curious to see what a deeper dissection of the phone, when it's released, shows. Ideally the Tesla phone will become available sooner than the Blackwater phone, but Musk has a few irons in the fire at the moment. I believe that Musk has a true belief in free speech and minimal invasion into privacy. Personally I' d prefer the Tesla phone to the Blackwater phone, either way competition is good. #capitalism

I would trust Tesla significantly more to have the required talent on payroll and the funding and resources to actually accomplish what's promised. Particularly if paired with the whole starlink network as an alternative to cell phone towers, because again if you don't have your own infrastructure none of what you're promising is deliverable from a location tracking standpoint and questionable from a data safety standpoint.

Even then the issue is going to be entrenchment and getting enough users to jump onboard to make the project profitable long term, justify ongoing updates, etc. Musk gets free marketing if he farts sideways and tweets about it, so another reason he's better positioned to make a viable alternative.

GranolaFacility

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2022
    Westfield
    Prince literally worked for the cia for years as the go to company to get **** done.

Listen to the shawn Ryan show interview.
    Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Hopefully, someone else will come along about whom there is more of a trusting consensus in the industry.

blain

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    It might be just specific models?

I have a Samsung 50" TV I bought in 2008 had a few bad capacitors from the red Chinese ones that MANY manufacturers got stuck with that I replaced the caps myself in about 2011, and the TV still works fine.

I also bought a Samsung 65" back in early 2016 that has been flawless.
    Which brand caps do you use?
    I've replaced some before with Rubycon capacitors.

Top Bottom