• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have an encore stainless and it got put away without a proper scrubbing at end of 2019 season and now is corroded pretty good. Been looking for good ways to remove corrosion been thinking putting a cleaning rod with like a bore brite paste on it but also thinking soaking it in pb blaster or creeping crud and plugging the muzzle and letting it soak and using cleaning rod with good bronze brush on it chucked in my drill to power scrub the barrel versus running the cleaning rod by hand? Good bad or is it bad for the bore to use the drill?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    As long as you make sure ONLY THE BRONZE BRISTLES touch your barrel, yes you can safely power drill it out.

I'd suggest a good long soak in kerosene, hand brushing it out, and oiling it up in some motor oil first to see if more dramatic measures are needed.

Unlike a bore brush, abrasive paste will actually remove steel. I'd be very very certain you know what you're doing with it before resorting to it. I'm pretty sure the former options will take care of the problem unless you're talking about a WW2 rifle that rotted away buried in a ditch somewhere that you just found. Even then those former steps can go quite far.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    I bought a Encore in the same condition you described and I did a hand scrubbing with PB blaster and other cleaners. It turned out fine.
    Good luck with yours.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Mar 24, 2013
    As long as you make sure ONLY THE BRONZE BRISTLES touch your barrel, yes you can safely power drill it out.

I'd suggest a good long soak in kerosene, hand brushing it out, and oiling it up in some motor oil first to see if more dramatic measures are needed.

Unlike a bore brush, abrasive paste will actually remove steel. I'd be very very certain you know what you're doing with it before resorting to it. I'm pretty sure the former options will take care of the problem unless you're talking about a WW2 rifle that rotted away buried in a ditch somewhere that you just found. Even then those former steps can go quite far.
    The abrasive paste idea was gonna go on a 20 gauge bore snake something oversized to increase friction as it was drug down the bore but I knew it would polish like a lapping compound but I didnt know would relive enough steel to damage the bore thought it would at most polish it like those abrasive coated bullets at low velocities people use to fire lap their barrels.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The abrasive paste idea was gonna go on a 20 gauge bore snake something oversized to increase friction as it was drug down the bore but I knew it would polish like a lapping compound but I didnt know would relive enough steel to damage the bore thought it would at most polish it like those abrasive coated bullets at low velocities people use to fire lap their barrels.

It has the potential to damage the bore. That doesn't mean that you will damage your bore using it.

Some people can go way overboard with lapping compounds. I just would be surprised if it's necessary. Sometimes on a rough bore I'll wipe a tiny amount of jeweler's rouge on a cleaning patch and give it a few passes to smooth out the high spots. I'm pretty cautious about removing metal in any context.

That bronze brush on a drill should get it pretty shiny.

Top Bottom