• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    I had an Encore years ago, it was stainless and black. Loved that gun. I traded it off several years ago. The past couple months I’ve been looking for another Encore muzzleloader. Holy smokes! Prices are off the charts on a used Encore! I finally found one from an old buddy of mine. He doesn’t hunt much anymore. It’s in great condition. I love the look of walnut but I’d rather have camo composite stocks. I’ve always loved how these rifles felt and looked. Here is the one I just picked up.

Attachments

• 112EA350-2F94-4B54-A81E-B86BA6696552.jpeg
      112EA350-2F94-4B54-A81E-B86BA6696552.jpeg
      438.2 KB · Views: 17
    • 1F06D5C2-02EA-4949-AC55-1A2027C14121.jpeg
      1F06D5C2-02EA-4949-AC55-1A2027C14121.jpeg
      557.4 KB · Views: 17

Hassiebawked

Plinker
    Nov 18, 2019
    South Central Indiana
    Anyone that’s owned an Encore with the original style breech plug knows what a pain it is to take your gun apart just to remove the plug to clean it. I’ve always replaced the original extractor for an EZ-Tip extractor. Makes like so much easier. Got luck and found one at the Outdoorsman in Greenwood. And it was half price of anyplace online that carried them.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I in a stupid moment sold my Encore. Had a 50 cal muzzleloader and a 25-06 barrel. I never thought pulling the extractor out was a big deal. The 25-06 barrel was a laser!

Hawkj

Plinker
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    Very nice Encore that you have there. I like the wood stocks but the one I have has camo synthetic stocks. It is a Prohunter FX model with the rubber molded finger grips and it feels awesome.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm happy with my Encore. Wish I'd bought a few more barrels and maybe another receiver. The prices have gone stupid on everthing Encore.

I have a .308 rifle barrel that I'm thinking of cutting down to 15 to make a pistol barrel, because when I can find one, they are insanely priced.

I'd love to have a folding-braced backpack pistol in 308 or 243.

Anonym

Plinker
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I've had mine since 2003 and it still hits the woods with me. It has the original breech plug and I just removed the extractor (not needed for a 209 primer) and it's not that big of a deal. Mine was a special order stainless/walnut, but I eventually replaced the stock with a pepper laminate. She's sporting peep sights and shoots the lights out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just went through re-zeroing my Encore 209X50 this afternoon. Pretty good backyard range session and refamiliarization.

I discovered that a quick wet (TC cleaner) patch between shots made things much easier and kept shots consistent.

In years past, I'd go with a yellow TC bore butter patch before reloading. I didn't this time. I actually intended to do the bore butter patch before final loading to hunt, but didn't think of it until too late.

I'm using Triple Seven pellets and primers along with Hornady 250gr SST-ML sabots. Any reason to think I'm not OK without the bore butter for longer term storage?

Last edited:

Jasonbeuerlein

Plinker
    Jun 13, 2016
    Freedom
    Anyone that’s owned an Encore with the original style breech plug knows what a pain it is to take your gun apart just to remove the plug to clean it. I’ve always replaced the original extractor for an EZ-Tip extractor. Makes like so much easier. Got luck and found one at the Outdoorsman in Greenwood. And it was half price of anyplace online that carried them.
    I have an original and would like info on EZ-tip extractor

Hunter58

Plinker
    Jun 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    The “E-Z Tip” extractor for the Encore 209x50 Magnum muzzleloader was an accessory item that allowed the extractor to be tipped out of the way for easy removal of the breech plug for cleaning. Eliminates having to remove the standard extractor and barrel prior to removing the breech plug. The two I owned failed rather quickly.

Top Bottom