• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    My church is just starting up a safety/security group. One of the topics is being ready for injuries. My question is, what is really necessary, and needful, to have on hand for all types of injuries? From splinters and minor cuts (think kids horsing around) to elderly person falling in the icy parking lot, all the way thru and active shooter scene.

What I call basic first aid - Band-Aids, bandages, gauze pads, slings, antibacterials, etc - is easy enough. What more should be included? This is going to be used be general purpose people, not first responder types. Yes, the basic and advanced Red Cross courses will be given, and there are a variety of nurses in the congregation, just not as active team members. Some have asked about tourniquets, but nobody knows what type to get.

Is there a pre-made kit I could purchase? Would probably want 5 such kits, so price is a factor.

Any and all advice about such a kit will be greatly appreciated!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some good info in these threads

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I bought a basic bandage kit at walmart then bought additional items on line to upgrade what I had to a kit that would cover everything I thought was reasonable. Much cheaper than buying a complete kit on line. Make a list of traumas you want to have the ability to handle and work from there.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Bear independent has nice pre made kits.
    Adventure kit or pACK kit (public access casualty kit).

AED might be a nice add also.

If ordering multiple kits for a church I would call them in person. I bet they make a deal

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'd check with the pros, i.e. EMT, nurse and doctor for suggestions as to items most likely needed. One thing that will need addressing is having someone to weekly check the supplies and replenish as needed. Our church also decided to get two AED's (Automated External Defibrillator) one for the church and one for the church bus.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I went to the hospital on a slow night and asked to talk to a doctor that wasn't busy. I told him what the kit was for and and what he would want done before the pt got to him and he helped me pick out stuff for a kit. I'm not sure if that would work for everyone since I was a cop then but it's worth a shot. I worked dayshift patrol every Sunday for a year so I would hang around the churches in case something happened so I had a dedicated church kit.

Something I think is over looked would be narcan and a tube of icing. Narcan not so much for illicit drugs but I've gave some to an old lady that was confused and accidentally took to many pain pills and ODd. Then the tube of icing for blood sugar dropping the ambulances in the town I worked carried it over glucose gel.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for all the replies, and the links to the kits. Leaning towards getting a generic wall mount first aid kit to hang on the wall, for the little things that happen, and better kits, pre-made or diy, for the more serious injuries.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    There's tons of advice on the normal stuff like tourniquets, Israeli bandages, chest seals and stuff like that. These items you'll probably have to order online from a specialty store, I'll recommend Chinook Medical but there's plenty of others. Don't buy stuff from Amazon...full stop, you're concern is saving lives, not money. Research those things and how to use them.

I'll tell you from personal experience however, that there are great things to buy from CVS or Walgreens. Get the self adhesive wrap (Coband?), that stuff plus packing gauze makes a great substitute for when an Israeli bandage might be too big or you might be out of them. Have lots of extra compressed gauze, most kits (in my opinion) are lacking in it. If this is a kit that's just going to be in a building, it wouldn't hurt to have a razor and shaving cream available to remove chest hair for use of the AED or in applying a chest seals. Wipes are also good to have to wipe away blood if you have to dry the skin off to apply a seal. It's also good to have burn gel on hand as well.

The most important thing is to take accredited courses and learn some anatomy. There is no definitive list of what all is needed but there's a million suggestions you could take, listen to the good and be careful with the overly creative "well it makes sense to me," talk/listen to first responders and ER crew.

Top Bottom