Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Eh, mixed feelings on that. This feeds my sensibilities that adult babies are getting a taste of reality. But here's the rub. How much is he paying them? If only exceptional performance constitutes a passing grade, while that's a lofty standard and all, he's going to have to open up the wallet to attract and keep exceptional performers because they're few and far between. We've gone through a spat of hiring where I work, and I think < 20% are what I'd consider exceptional. It's hard to find them.

If 88% of the staff quit, maybe the 12% remaining are the exceptional ones. But driving employees into the dirt, especially without appropriate compensation, it's not a good long term employment strategy. You'll have high turnover and you'll grow cynical attitudes in your employees. No one wants to be treated like **** by their boss. And there are still plenty of opportunities for software engineers. Be demanding, sure. Have high standards, sure. But be fair. And recognize that people have a life outside of work. And for those times when you need them to make work their life, you better ***damn pay them if you want to keep them.

View attachment 237387

From what I heard previous to all of this, Twitter employees were very well paid. Expecting them to actually work for that salary is called reality. If he works them too hard and their pay isn't enough for it, then they're free to find jobs elsewhere and hardworking people who aren't afraid to work for a nice salary can take their place. Sounds like the way things are supposed to work.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    The fact Elon Musk has stated that Twitter is a software and servers enterprise, and will be engineering / coding driven is a start to make it actually viable on a business and technical basis.

The harsh reality for Twitter from an outside observers perspective is after its initial success, it became a social engineering experiment driven by the outliers on the left of American political ideology. That is fine if that is your business model.

What Elon has done is to take the "radical" step of stating clearly, this is what Twitter is, and what we will aspire to accomplish. Right now that does not appear to include remaining a social engineering / subversion and propaganda means.

Personally, I would petition the FCC to qualify Twitter as a Telecommunications Common Carrier, and legally sever the section 230 protections. With the software expertise he has available to him, I bet automating unlawful (clear threats, criminal activity, etc. at a 70% catch rate or so) would be doable.

No telephone company is obligated to listen to your conversations and advise the authorities if you are believed to be doing unlawful things. It may have worked that way in the GDR with the STASI, but we are not quite there yet (I hope). Twitter should be no different, its just a text party line.

If you want a high performing organization, job one is for every single employee to know where their paycheck comes from. Hint, it is not from sitting in a cube ordering your next latte. In the case of Twitter revenue comes from advertising and subscription revenue, as well as data sales. Those things are all based upon usage and number of real accounts. Anything which doesn't bring users, keep users engaged, maintains the integrity of the userbase, or improves the reliability and usability of the platform is either of secondary importance or of no use at all. I would put the "content moderation" teams in the latter category.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Life lesson, don't contradict your boss' boss' boss' boss in public. Most people with a brain know this, this guy just found out... :ugh:
    FIFY.

In most reasonable orgs, you can get away with contradicting your supervisor. In a reasonable org that results in a dressing down to a write-up/warning.

However the penalties tend to increment exponentially as you move up the food chain. Correcting your boss is FAAAAAAR less devastating that correcting the CEO.

He deserved it.

Top Bottom