Elon Musk Becomes Twitter’s Largest Shareholder…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Is my post here on INGO a valid news source?

"Meteor Strikes NYC! Everyone killed!"

See how that works? People on Twitter can say whatever they want. Doesn't make it true, or "news".
    Many posts on INGO are valid news, so yes INGO can be a valid news source. I saw the warehouse fire here first, even been made aware of news that was not covered by other sources, and with the pandemic much of the most valuable news came from INGO.

Your post shows an antiquated definition of news. Virtually all the news CP posts in the Colts thread he gets from twitter. As with most things twitter is now the first draft of news. And don’t even get me started on the liars that claim the mantle of news sources.

All in all twitter is a valuable news source, it is usually the first source of news to publicize a event, it has direct posts from newsmakers, unfiltered by media, and anyone can comment on those posts.

I do not follow it currently, but should…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Many posts on INGO are valid news, so yes INGO can be a valid news source. I saw the warehouse fire here first, even been made aware of news that was not covered by other sources, and with the pandemic much of the most valuable news came from INGO.

Your post shows an antiquated definition of news. Virtually all the news CP posts in the Colts thread he gets from twitter. As with most things twitter is now the first draft of news. And don’t even get me started on the liars that claim the mantle of news sources.

All in all twitter is a valuable news source, it is usually the first source of news to publicize a event, it has direct posts from newsmakers, unfiltered by media, and anyone can comment on those posts.

I do not follow it currently, but should…
    I think INGO and Twitter are a conduit to what might be valid news sources, but in and of themselves aren't really. Twitter was designed as a social media platform and nothing else. It was originally limited to 140 characters per post, but it has morphed into something more lax. How people use it is another story.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    The more i watch Elon, the more i think he is Henry Rearden.

Keep it up Elon, we need you.

Many won't get the reference, Doc, though I wish more did. Loved the scene when he was given the bar of gold from the pirate .... forget his name ... Rapscalion or some such.

I take solace in the fact we'll all receive our gold, if not in this life, then the next.

I hope you're doing well in this post-pandemic world. (it is post-pandemic, right?)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think INGO and Twitter are a conduit to what might be valid news sources, but in and of themselves aren't really. Twitter was designed as a social media platform and nothing else. It was originally limited to 140 characters per post, but it has morphed into something more lax. How people use it is another story.
    INGO was way more than a conduit in the warehouse fire thread. There was unfiltered, by others, first hand accounts and original photos of the event. How by any measure can that not be defined news?

When an ESPN reporter goes on twitter first and says a player has been traded, before it hits the news scroll on TV, is that not news? That is original reporting before anyone else reported it, it was on twitter.

What does this mean? “Twitter was designed as a social media platform and nothing else.” That you believe it is just a toy? Twitter is where 90% of all news is broken today, the rest is rehashing or an in depth look but not breaking news.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That you believe it is just a toy?
    Yes, pretty much. Do they occasionally have people "tweet" news? Sure. But that's not what it was designed for, nor is it what it is mostly used for these days. Just like Tik Tok is not a valid platform for new dramatic filmography. It's mostly tweens posting themselves doing some kind of dance moves or "challenges" that get them injured or killed.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Many won't get the reference, Doc, though I wish more did. Loved the scene when he was given the bar of gold from the pirate .... forget his name ... Rapscalion or some such.

I take solace in the fact we'll all receive our gold, if not in this life, then the next.

I hope you're doing well in this post-pandemic world. (it is post-pandemic, right?)

"Ragnar Danneskjold"
    Philosopher-Pirate

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    repeat after me: "Twitter is not news."
    Yes, pretty much. Do they occasionally have people "tweet" news? Sure. But that's not what it was designed for, nor is it what it is mostly used for these days. Just like Tik Tok is not a valid platform for new dramatic filmography. It's mostly tweens posting themselves doing some kind of dance moves or "challenges" that get them injured or killed.
    Do you guys realize that any reporter that even thinks they are a journalist is on twitter with the story likely before their employer even has the first draft of an article. What definition of news are you using? Walter Cronkite is dead. Twitter is todays headline news. Twitter has reporters posting stories, common folk posting their firsthand accounts and photos of events, it has people discussing events. How is that not news?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But that's not what it was designed for, nor is it what it is mostly used for these days. Just like Tik Tok is not a valid platform for new dramatic filmography. It's mostly tweens posting themselves doing some kind of dance moves or "challenges" that get them injured or killed.
    What bearing does what it was designed for have to do with what it has become? Why do you believe it is mostly tweens? Because what you define as news told you so? Have you ever had a twitter account?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Do you guys realize that any reporter that even thinks they are a journalist is on twitter with the story likely before their employer even has the first draft of an article. What definition of news are you using? Walter Cronkite is dead. Twitter is todays headline news. Twitter has reporters posting stories, common folk posting their firsthand accounts and photos of events, it has people discussing events. How is that not news?
    Well then, **** it! Lets eliminate all network/cable/internet news and make everyone get a Twitter account! Gotta be some money savings there.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    so long as James Woods et al. are tweeting, it's really hard to make the claim that conservative voices are being silenced.

Here's an idea: we could just stop letting Twitter have such an influence on our lives.
    I think it is easy to make the argument. A president was silenced for political speech. That's pretty serious, in my book. I'm a little surprised you don't see the danger in this.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What bearing does what it was designed for have to do with what it has become? Why do you believe it is mostly tweens? Because what you define as news told you so? Have you ever had a twitter account?
    I actually do have a twitter account! I was required to get one to get some bonus points for a Classic Firearms contest. Couldn't begin to tell you what my Twitter username or password is though.

The "tweens" bit was about Tik Tok and that's from personal experience with the granddaughters.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Well, I don't consider Twitter to be a valid news source.
    Unfortunately, a whole lot of the electorate does consider it a trustworthy news source.

It's sickening especially since it is nearly a (the?) ubiquitous method of communication these days.

I've never had an account there and hopefully will never need one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately, a whole lot of the electorate does consider it a trustworthy news source.

It's sickening especially since it is nearly a (the?) ubiquitous method of communication these days.

I've never had an account there and hopefully will never need one.
    Can you explain how it is less a trustworthy place for news than CNN or NYT?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well then, **** it! Lets eliminate all network/cable/internet news and make everyone get a Twitter account! Gotta be some money savings there.
    The traditional news world has been blown up. We are watching the death throes of it. A few outlets may make it to the new world but very few. CNN and MSNBC only exist because old people still have cable or something that bundles them, they get over a dollar per cable customer per month each. They could never survive on subscriptions, there is too much free leftist news out there for anyone to buy it.

I do not like twitter, I do not follow it, it is actually laughable I am defending it being news because I despise them as much as NYT, but both are indeed news…

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The traditional news world has been blown up. We are watching the death throes of it. A few outlets may make it to the new world but very few. CNN and MSNBC only exist because old people still have cable or something that bundles them, they get over a dollar per cable customer per month each. They could never survive on subscriptions, there is too much free leftist news out there for anyone to buy it.

I do not like twitter, I do not follow it, it is actually laughable I am defending it being news because I despise them as much as NYT, but both are indeed news…
    There is no reliable news source today.
    No purple implied or intended.

Top Bottom