• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Have't seen much on this topic going back to first of the year. I love getting out and bush crafting and having campfires. Then a few weeks ago saw a you tube of a guy talking about eating wild nettles! Now I just got a book on wild plants to eat. 2 weeks ago I found by my campfire some young stinging nettles coming up and picked and washed them and fried them up in my pan of butter and ate some for the 1st time, 60 years old and still learning. Wasn't bad but what I found remarkable is that nettles have 5 times the Vitamin C as a orange, among other things. The guy said you can make tea and he even dries the leaves to make into a soup during the winter. Amazing how many things are out there to eat and survive on. I'm looking for the large thistles soon, as you can eat the roots and the stalk. The book I got is called "the forager's harvest." I think its good to know in a worse situation what can be gathered rather than starving, as I know I would have. Friend just told be his dad gathered and ate nettles all the time....I find this remarkable. Anyone have other books that they have found please post. If and when the internet goes down I would rather have books.

looper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2019
    NWI
    I recently bought 3 plant books ( used ) 'Edible Wild Plants ~a North American field guide I like this a lot it gives alot of info and tons of color pics. 'Edible Wild Plants' ~ peterson field guide covers more plants but less info on them and much less color pics alot of illustrations. Medicinal Plants Eastern/Central region ~ peterson field guide this one I'm currently going through again more illustration than pics but very good illustrations. I've found ABE Books and Thrift Books to have good pricing. I try to avoid the zon

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Info? I'm over in Wabash but would probably come up for a class
    I found this... Looks like it's coming up October 10th.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    I think I came across the same video in the OPA late last year. I’ve been out a number of times already to spring picking nettles and have cooked him a number of times. I have a bag in the freezer and I’m out picking another bag right now.
    Ever since last September when I stumbled on Chicken of the Woods and Hen of the Woods (Maitake) mushrooms, I’ve really been interested in learning about the health benefits of wild edibles right in our own backyard.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's good info to know, but I only see rural folks making use of it. I have this amusing vision of hipsters foraging for meals.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I cut the top leaves off the nettles every couple days here.
    Boil them for a few minutes and then let steep for a while to make tea.
    The leaves once boiled lose the stingers and are like canned spinach.

Attachments

• 247333AE-8DD1-4CB4-A725-2D6E99AAA3A3.jpeg
      247333AE-8DD1-4CB4-A725-2D6E99AAA3A3.jpeg
      631 KB · Views: 7

Revdrw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2022
    Portage, Indiana
    Wild Edibles: A Practical Guide to Foraging, with Easy Identification of 60 Edible Plants and 67 Recipes
    Wild Edibles: A Practical Guide to Foraging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom