• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Keep in mind that a large part of the spread in Africa is caused by a lack of sterile technique, and a public who thinks this is caused by witches. They've been forcing doctors out and kidnapping loved ones from hospitals.

So if it gets here...Don't do that. And of course, always be prepared.

How to be prepared? The scary part to me is "no known cure".

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Is it too soon for ebola humor? Nah...

Ebola-error-message_zps0582fcb6.png

pain-chart.png

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Ebola has been an issue for years. just now getting more world attention. Justifiably so. Scares the hell out of me. I don't fear catching it at this point. I'd say it's a safe bet to day it will be in this country within year. Faster if they bring the patients here for treatment (obviously). That's what scare's me. I personally don't want the infected here. The research is there. Dam good doctor's are working on it. Bless them for that! They are hero's and know the risk they took helping. Moving the ill people around just increases the chance of spreading. Keep it there! Hopefully they will cure the ill and find a vaccine to prevent it. For the moment I want to see it contained. Isolated where it is.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You know, maybe there's a certain amount of overreaction to bringing the ebola patients here. I mean, the CDC and related health care facilities will do everything humanly possible to secure the patients and any samples taken from them. We can trust them.

Gee whiz, it isn't like this is smallpox.
    CDC Media Statement on Newly Discovered Smallpox Samples | Media Statement | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

Yeah, just hanging around in a unsecure room since the 50's. We're fine. They know what they are doing!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I am not surprised.

It's still via bodily fluids, just aerosolized particles from the lungs via close contact and breathing. Sneezing would have much the same effect. Hardly the same as truly airborne transmission. Even admits such in the last bit of the article. So this is basically common sense, it just makes you think about what 'bodily fluids' means.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's still via bodily fluids, just aerosolized particles from the lungs via close contact and breathing. Sneezing would have much the same effect. Hardly the same as truly airborne transmission. Even admits such in the last bit of the article. So this is basically common sense, it just makes you think about what 'bodily fluids' means.
    Yeah, I know. But transmission becomes a thousand times more likely if it actually is passed this way. HIV is a transmitted via bodily fluids, but it's not catchable from a cough or a sneeze. Ebola isn't supposed to be either. If it is, it changes everything.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Yeah, I know. But transmission becomes a thousand times more likely if it actually is passed this way. HIV is a transmitted via bodily fluids, but it's not catchable from a cough or a sneeze. Ebola isn't supposed to be either. If it is, it changes everything.

CDC has known about this 'method' of transmission for years, but it's still not truly airborne. It's just confirmation of the precautions that should be utilized when dealing with patients with Ebola.

Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Hospitalized Patients with Known or Suspected Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever in U.S. Hospitals | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    CDC has known about this 'method' of transmission for years, but it's still not truly airborne. It's just confirmation of the precautions that should be utilized when dealing with patients with Ebola.

Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Hospitalized Patients with Known or Suspected Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever in U.S. Hospitals | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
    I don't give a flip if it doesn't mean the definition of "truly airborne." I don't have to worry about catching HIV from the guy sitting next to me on the bus if he coughs or sneezes and doesn't cover his mouth/nose. If ebola is transmittable via aerosolized droplets, my risk goes up immensely.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    I don't give a flip if it doesn't mean the definition of "truly airborne." I don't have to worry about catching HIV from the guy sitting next to me on the bus if he coughs or sneezes and doesn't cover his mouth/nose. If ebola is transmittable via aerosolized droplets, my risk goes up immensely.

What's the difference between aerosolized droplets versus getting someone's snot or spit on you?

sneeze.jpg

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

The risk is the same as it always was relative to what Ebola is and how it is transmitted. Your awareness has simply gone up. It's folly to compare it to other disease transmission methods or routes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    We're being told that ebola resides in bodily fluids, which includes mucous and saliva.
    If both of those fluids are dispersed in the air than the virus is airborne, right?
    I am not intimately familiar with the precise operating definitions the CDC or WHO uses to classify something as a bona fide airborne pathogen. For my practical purposes, if the pathogen can pass without direct contact, it qualifies as airborne to me. :dunno:

I don't care what the technical definition of "airborne" is or even if ebola qualifies. I do care if ebola can be spread through the aerosolized bodily fluids because it ratchets the risk up. I don't make it a habit of going around licking the snot of strangers or drinking their blood. My personal risk of contracting ebola should be rare if it requires that kind of contact. But once a pathogen becomes transmittable via airborne droplets, it's a whole different ball game.

Top Bottom