• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Keep in mind that a large part of the spread in Africa is caused by a lack of sterile technique, and a public who thinks this is caused by witches. They've been forcing doctors out and kidnapping loved ones from hospitals.

So if it gets here...Don't do that. And of course, always be prepared.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Scary stuff. Hopefully it doesn't actually *come* here... Bringing people already infected over from Liberia? Dumb. What are they going to do? Get extra-special medical treatment?

Isn't this something that can't be cured and generally has to run it's course? Send them the medical aid they need and leave them where they are. I don't see what moving their location is going to do - not like they're going to undergo some special surgery only capable of being executed here right?

Can anybody explain the reasoning behind bringing them back to the states?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    More tips

Here is what you need to do and have so as to achieve the bare MINIMUM of preparedness:

1) Get filter masks rated as "N100" or "P100"

Filter masks that are rated by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) as either N100 or P100 absolutely WILL protect the user from 99.97% of airborne particles/droplets which are smaller than 3 microns. 3m Corporation manufactures the masks and expressly states they will protect the "wearer" from inhaling such particles. The difference between the "N": and the "P" has to do with whether or not the mask will be worn in an environment where OILS and their vapors are what is sought to be filtered. The "P" is especially suited for filtering in oily vapor environments.

The Ebola virus strands themselves are only .08 microns in diameter, a lot smaller than 3 microns, BUT the virus strands MUST be carried by something, usually water molecules and those are filterable by an N100 or P100 mask. So GETTING THOSE MASKS is very worthwhile.

Of course, self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) and full body TYVEK suits with hoods and footsies is the only true 100% protection, but the average person is not going to be able to head out to a local store and buy an SCBA unit or have the means to recharge the 5,000 PSI air cylinder.

Having an N100 or P100 rated mask is top-of-the-line protection that regular folks can get for about $7 - $10 each and seeing as they would only be using these masks to go out in some pressing situation if there was an Ebola outbreak here, having such masks is a lot smarter than not having them.

Each individual mask is rated for up to 40 hours of use but the simple reality is that once you've used the mask outside ONE TIME, it has to be thrown away. So when you buy these masks, make sure you have as many as you think you'll need because you can't set them down at home and allow the virus they blocked to get loose in your home as the mask dries out, or pick them up and put them back on because that simple act can free-up virus on the outside of the mask and set it loose in your house.

2) Get eye protection to keep out water droplets/vapors

Waterproof eye protection is A MUST because cough/sneeze droplets containing Ebola can fly into our eyes and travel down tear ducts to infect a person. The N100 or P100 masks MUST be accompanied by swimming goggles or some other eye protection designed to keep out water.

Just walking down the street, riding a bus or train where an infected person coughs, sneezes or throws up (and thereby releases huge amounts of water vapor containing Ebola) is something you cannot get away from. If any of those vapor droplets gets carried by wind and hits you in the eyes, you won't even feel it -- but the virus will travel down your tear ducts and infect you! If you are outside during an Ebola outbreak, you MUST have eye protection.

3) Disposable Latex gloves.

A person who is infected with Ebola may not even know it for days, yet during that time, they ARE contagious.

If such persons cough, sneeze, pee, without washing their hands, then their hands absolutely WILL have Ebola virus on them. Everything that person touches could then become a vector to spread the virus.

Studies show the Ebola Virus CAN survive outside a host for several DAYS. It doesn't matter if the virus is on a dry surface or a moist surface. It doesn't matter if the virus is in warm/hot weather or temperatures around zero; IT SURVIVES!

When you are out in public, you have no way of knowing if the door handles of offices, stores or homes have been touched by an infected person. You have no idea if banisters, hand rails, cashier check-out counters or store shelves have been touched by an infected person.

The only way to protect yourself from TOUCHING the virus left behind by others is to wear latex gloves and it is absolutely VITAL that you NEVER -- absolutely N E V E R - touch your face or your food unless or until you take those gloves off, and wash your hands IMMEDIATELY and thoroughly;

4) Get "Chlorhexidine Gluconate" hand soap/sanitizer

This is what we use in the medical field and we use it because it works. This is what most Hospitals use when Doctors and Nurses "scrub" for surgery. They use it because it works.

A gallon of this stuff (2% solution) only costs about $15.

Get it. Have it ready. Use it if the outbreak comes.

5) Store up a MINIMUM of 30 days of food in case your are Quarantined.

The Model Public Health Emergency Preparedness laws enacted by 44 out of the 50 states provide legal authority for state governments to QUARANTINE entire cities in the event of a public health emergency.

This doesn't mean just sick people; it specifically applies to those who ARE NOT SICK.

The idea is that keeping people in their homes will stop the spread of disease, and the law provides the legal basis for such an order.

Once a Quarantine Order is issued, that's it. No going out to the store for food. No calling the local Chinese Restaurant or pizza joint and ordering delivery. If you don't have enough food, and you go out to try to get some, you absolutely will be arrested and held in a FORCED QUARANTINE FACILITY. You won't see your family again until long after the emergency is over.

You MUST be prepared to feed yourself and your family for a MINIMUM OF 30 DAYS.

As such, make sure you have plenty of canned foods, dry pasta, dry rice, dry cereals/oatmeal/farina, dry milk, dry flavored-drink mixes, etc., to get you through.

Folks need to start getting this stuff right now because once the Ebola gets here, the stores will sell out within hours.

The government absolutely, positively, cannot protect you once the virus breaks loose here. Hopefully, that won't happen, but there is a very severe chance it will.

IF YOU GO OUTSIDE DURING AN OUTBREAK YOUR CLOTHES CAN CARRY THE VIRUS!

It is a heck of a thing to deal with, but all of you must understand that if you go outside around the general public during an outbreak, YOUR CLOTHES AND SHOES can capture the cough/sneeze or vomit droplets from an infected person.

As such, during an outbreak, WITH YOUR MASK STILL ON have a plan to strip off your clothes the MOMENT you walk in your home and put them IMMEDIATELY into the washing machine and start it. Leave your shoes as close to the front door as you can -- DO NOT WALK THROUGH THE HOUSE WITH THEM!

Once clothing is in the washing machine, then and only then should you remove your mask and throw it away in SEALED (Zip-Lock-type) plastic bag immediately.

The very next thing you MUST do, is take a shower. Wash thoroughly.

Only after these steps have been taken should you dress in fresh clothing.

If you take all the mask/eyewear & gloves advice, but don't strip off your clothes and wash the moment you get home, you're inviting infection from your own clothing as the water vapor droplets evaporate and the virus strands potentially become airborne from your air conditioning/heat/ceiling fans.

Again, I don't mean to frighten anyone or to cause a panic. My only hope is the you take this advice seriously and prepare.

Many "conspiracy theorists" have talked about the 1/2 Million Coffin Liners sitting in a field in Georgia which were ordered by FEMA several years ago. Well, the simple fact is that those coffin liners -- and millions more stored elsewhere -- were ordered; and you don't want to end up in one of them.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    A person who is infected with Ebola may not even know it for days, yet during that time, they ARE contagious.
    They're contagious once symptoms show but, that said, initially it can look like a cold/flu. In short - avoiding anybody that seems like they have a cold/flu would probably be pertinent advice.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Scary? Yes, but I don't think it's as scary as what it's made out to be. Call me cynical but, We've heard these roof top screams before, Bird Flu, SARS, H1N1, etc. I didn't line up to be a big pharma pin cushion then and I doubt I will reserve my place in line for this round of 'let's make more money by scaring the bejesus out of people' that is sure to be just around the corner.
    As far as having a bug in, I've been ready for that for quite a while. I could use a vacay.

dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    The folks that don't let any crisis go to waste were discussing martial law when the bird flu was spreading a few years ago. Wait for it...

This isn't Africa.

Last edited:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    1. While you guys all stocked up on ammo, I was cornering the market on Lysol spray.

2. There is a report that some victims bodies have reanimated. You heard it first here.

3. Plane carrying Ebola victim to U.S. shot down over Atlanta. INGO member denies responsibility.

4. Stock market collapses. Lysol futures up.

Emery University footage. Ignore the ethnic and 1930's effects. It was a reenactment when the panic hit.

5. [video=youtube_share;LfghH8nA-hc]http://youtu.be/LfghH8nA-hc[/video]

6. Beyond that, I got nothin'....

fzz, feeding the paranoia one post at a time.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They're contagious once symptoms show but, that said, initially it can look like a cold/flu. In short - avoiding anybody that seems like they have a cold/flu would probably be pertinent advice.
    And a person can present symptoms anywhere from 2 days to a week after infection.

Calling it it just a virus is ridiculous. Our ability to treat and prevent the spread of viral infections may be vastly improved, but even today the death toll from viral infections reaches the hundreds of thousands. The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed tens of millions.

Here are some modern numbers for deaths caused by viral diseases:

1. Dengue: 25,000
    2. Yellow fever: 30,000
    3. Rabies: 55,000
    4. Hantavirus: 70,000
    5. Measles: 197,000
    6. Influenza: 500,000
    7. Rotavirus: 611,000

and last but not least: HIV, killing more than 3 million people every year

We ought not get cocky about our medical advancements and knowledge. Everything about the nature of viruses makes them dangerous.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    It's one thing to acknowledge possibilities and it's quite another to panic about those possibilities. Even worse than the possibility of Ebola spreading here is the fact that within ten to fifteen years, most antibiotics will be rendered completely irrelevant by bacterial adaptation and resistance. Carbapenem-resistant enterococci and totally-drug-resistant tuberculosis are far more likely threats than ebola. But it's good to be aware of the possibility. As for them flying the American home, they're taking all precautions and doing so in order to give him the best chance of survival, since we have the best healthcare in the world. Isolated ward, and the CDC is co-coordinating his care. Doing so will also provide the chance for further study on the current strain type.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Scary stuff. Hopefully it doesn't actually *come* here... Bringing people already infected over from Liberia? Dumb. What are they going to do? Get extra-special medical treatment?

Isn't this something that can't be cured and generally has to run it's course? Send them the medical aid they need and leave them where they are. I don't see what moving their location is going to do - not like they're going to undergo some special surgery only capable of being executed here right?

Yes, but then "running its course" doesn't mean the doctors sit in a corner and take notes, praying the dude doesn't become a zombie. There are all manner of supplemental techniques and medicines intended to support a failing body, but they need competent medical personnel in order to apply them. Setting aside the fact that the best hospital over there cannot hold a candle to ours in terms of stability and safety, the fact that we have bar-none the best docs on the planet with the best equipment on the planet is a very good reason to bring him back to the states.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Keep in mind that a large part of the spread in Africa is caused by a lack of sterile technique, and a public who thinks this is caused by witches. They've been forcing doctors out and kidnapping loved ones from hospitals.

So if it gets here...Don't do that. And of course, always be prepared.

This ^^^ This is spready easily in 3rd world countries where there is no understanding of sanitation and hygiene. They don't believe in things that can be spread from human to human (or even animal to human) so they go about kissing the bodies of their dead before they are buried and voila, epidemic. Not to mention the health-care is less than desirable. In many cases they can't effectively treat this because of a lack of medical resources. While it's true they have to let it run it's course, better resources would greatly reduce the lethality.

Transfer this same virus to a modern nation that understands how it works and how to avoid it, has top-notch medical care, and a strong desire to not contract it from others and this all becomes overblown paranoia. Watch and see, I'm very skeptical that we will even see a single case of an American contracting it ON American soil.

Of course I could be totally off-base and we're about to all die...

They're bringing him here for the better care and so he can be with family. This latest ebola outbreak has only been ~60% fatal (vs. 90% fatality of previous outbreaks). With good care, its very likely that he will make it through this just fine.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Scary? Yes, but I don't think it's as scary as what it's made out to be. Call me cynical but, We've heard these roof top screams before, Bird Flu, SARS, H1N1, etc. I didn't line up to be a big pharma pin cushion then and I doubt I will reserve my place in line for this round of 'let's make more money by scaring the bejesus out of people' that is sure to be just around the corner.
    As far as having a bug in, I've been ready for that for quite a while. I could use a vacay.

Interesting perspective. From what I can tell the talking heads are downplaying the risk. Which is what makes me nervous.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In many cases they can't effectively treat this because of a lack of medical resources. While it's true they have to let it run it's course, better resources would greatly reduce the lethality.
    Couple polite points on this:
    - It is spread in significant numbers among the medical professionals treating the sick. These people may not be as trained as western RNs, LPNs, docs, etc., but they certainly do not believe it is caused by witchcraft. Importantly (at least to me) the IU-trained doctor and the nurse were using full protective gear and still got it. To me, that makes the transmission thing a bigger deal than just being sanitation related.
    - Survival rate remains about 60%. That's still not particularly good by "our" standards.
    - We don't know yet whether "western" medical facilities impact the survival rate, which is a good thing. I'd rather not have this spread to areas served by western facilities.

Just MHO. :)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Another masterful headline from AP

Bt9r-ZOCMAMiObT.png:large

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Couple polite points on this:
    - It is spread in significant numbers among the medical professionals treating the sick. These people may not be as trained as western RNs, LPNs, docs, etc., but they certainly do not believe it is caused by witchcraft. Importantly (at least to me) the IU-trained doctor and the nurse were using full protective gear and still got it. To me, that makes the transmission thing a bigger deal than just being sanitation related.
    - Survival rate remains about 60%. That's still not particularly good by "our" standards.
    - We don't know yet whether "western" medical facilities impact the survival rate, which is a good thing. I'd rather not have this spread to areas served by western facilities.

Just MHO. :)
    I share your concern. There's always the chance it was contracted when protective gear was not being worn. Either way, there's not a lot of good news from the fact that he got it.

Another masterful headline from AP

Bt9r-ZOCMAMiObT.png:large
    :facepalm:

Top Bottom