• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There was a 3.6 in California and a 3.8 just over the border in Illinois down south here this morning. I felt it and it wobbled the cabinets in in the living room.

My house is solid masonry tile block construction with stucco on the outside and plaster on the inside. I have several cracks from the 5.0something we had back in 2002 or 2003. I have earthquake insurance and do not look forward to the day when one really lets go here. It should be noted that due to geology, a 5.0 or 6.0 quake in California is far less "powerful" than the same here.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There was a 3.6 in California and a 3.8 just over the border in Illinois down south here this morning. I felt it and it wobbled the cabinets in in the living room.

My house is solid masonry tile block construction with stucco on the outside and plaster on the inside. I have several cracks from the 5.0something we had back in 2002 or 2003. I have earthquake insurance and do not look forward to the day when one really lets go here. It should be noted that due to geology, a 5.0 or 6.0 quake in California is far less "powerful" than the same here.

Glad to hear it was a light one this AM.

We have had 3 tremors that I can remember in my life time. I heard vibrations (rattling) from one and felt a bit of shaking with another. I heard about the other on the news, we did not feel it. Lucky no damage either time. My wife working on the twelfth floor of the local hospital and she felt it pretty good up there on the largest one. I can't imagine living in an area really prone to them. Holy cow, just way to scary.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There are multiple fault systems, mainly west and south in Illinois and Missouri. The most well known is the New Madrid and Wabash Valley seismic zones. The New Madrid is the one that let go in 1812 and rang church bells in Boston. The Ohio River ran backwards and, due to the shift, is apparently why I can walk to parts of Kentucky without getting wet.

The geology of Evansville has a lot of white sand running underneath and liquefaction will not be gently to the town when it comes.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My offices are located in one of the very few buildings built with earthquakes in mind. The building is constructed on a huge "floating slab" which should allow the building to shift laterally without collapsing when downtown turns to quicksand.

That's really comforting knowledge right there. We all know a quake is coming. I bet 95% or more of the construction in the major risk areas is not build with quakes in mind. Hopefully the big one is century's away. And building codes will make things safer as time goes along.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It was interesting watching the new Old National Bank corporate headquarters being constructed some years ago. Unlike their old building (my current offices), they bored down over 110' to anchor into the bedrock. Two extreme ways of handling the problem.

Top Bottom