• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The "RUMOR" I'm hearing is that they are looking for volunteers to work as range masters so they don't have to pay anyone. Again, that is the RUMOR I'm hearing from park employees.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Can anyone find the information about the Federal Funding? What really gets me is that they are still using the range for cops and it was built for public use! If we find out who to complain to on a Federal Level that will endanger funding. Always hit them in the wallet. :popcorn:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    When the range opened up years ago I tried several times to use it. Each time I went the cops were using the range and it was closed to the public. After talking to several other shooters who had the same experience I never went back. It was supposed to be for the public with occasional use by the cops for qaulifying and practice, but it seemed as if it turned into a range for the cops and the public might be able to use it once in a while if they were lucky. :cool:

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    FYI
    I got the contact info from the OP, and on Monday I sent an email requesting a refund. On Wednesday, I was told that they would be sending me a refund for my 10 visit pass, and that the check sometimes takes several weeks to process. It was pretty painless, and it would probably be faster if you call instead of email. The people that I communicated with were polite and apologetic. Hopefully, the check will actually show up.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When the range opened up years ago I tried several times to use it. Each time I went the cops were using the range and it was closed to the public. After talking to several other shooters who had the same experience I never went back. It was supposed to be for the public with occasional use by the cops for qaulifying and practice, but it seemed as if it turned into a range for the cops and the public might be able to use it once in a while if they were lucky. :cool:
    We have almost 2k officers using it...there is not enough time in the day. Can't fire past 2200hrs.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    We have almost 2k officers using it...there is not enough time in the day. Can't fire past 2200hrs.
    HA! 2200 must be a suggested time, not enforced time. Well, except for this year. Or my clock could be fast. But, it always ended real close to 2200. Not hat it ever bothered me anyways. Slept with the window on and being an early riser, the range was still going. The barking dog is what was a problem.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    We don't use it on the weekends, I believe that is how it has been for a while. I see why everyone is frustrated and I do not know the entire history of the range, but I as an officer, I would love to see it back open to the public, like it was before. As for public during the weekdays, I don't foresee that happening unfortunately.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Well going on the rumors I applied to volunteer as a Range Master. Maybe that will help get things going. Maybe US members of INGO with documented training should come together and try to get it going again as volunteers rather than just *****ing about it being closed and not taking any other action than complaining.

I'm not saying members with documented training are any better than the rest of the members but it may help get you brought on as a volunteer.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    :soapbox: I'm up on my soap box so I'm going to say more now.

Members of INGO are always talking about wanting to get things done or educate people. Rather than *****ING about the problem we need to come together as we do with the open carry walks, work together, come up with solutions and approach the park board with our solutions. If 8 of us got together, we would only have to work one day a month assuming only one Range Master was needed per day.

:ranton:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    ALRIGHT, let's clear up some stuff. As a worker at the range, I have had lots of PMs, emails, folks at gunshops asking me over and over and over and over, etc... When's the range going to be open? When am I getting my refund that I submitted for (even though that is not my department), etc... Enough "rumors", etc... let's get on the same page here:

1. There is no Ballard conspiracy involved here. If there is, that's the first I've heard of it. Simply, it's a matter of the parks department getting rid of it's valuable and trusted chief range officer, but they got caught with their pants down on this matter, now scrambling to try to get a solution to the problem. I know folks want to blame their unemployment, their crime rates, their personal problems on public figures, but face it, this isn't the case, go back to blaming Ballard for one's dog being dead after eating chocolate! :D It's counterproductive to helping our cause.

2. Rumors of this and that going to run the range: Indy Gun Club and various other third party organizations, seeing this lapse in range management, decided to offer their services (ROs, etc...) to run the range, further complicating an already strange situation (of the park's making). Now the folks at the top, in an already slow bureaucracy, are taking even MORE time to decide what they are going to do.

3. Federal funding = open to public: I have yet to see any evidence of this IN WRITING, though everyone claims that is the story. Until I see evidence of this, I am siding that the facility is city owned, for police use and civilian's usage is a whole different situation.

4. Police using the range during "civilian" time: We had a very good website that was updated fairly regularly. In August and on other occasions, the police would tell us a few days in advance that they needed the range for inservices and overage for training new recruits. I would regularly (and our flyers at gunshops in Indy) did have the website listed and I regularly told folks that was the most reliable way to know if the police were going to be training out there that weekend. Not anyone's fault other than folks omitting to call the phone number or check out the website. It's a combination of that with the police (sorry guys but I gotta say it) being boorish in their method of notifying us last minute of their schedule in many cases, on the other hand, they have needs that are VERY important (i.e. training new recruits).

5. Volunteers only: First we have heard of it and only a "rumor". Those generally don't pan out. Given the track record of many of the volunteers that we have had: They will show up, see that it's actually a job (not just stand around and talk guns all day, one has to keep an eye on things), they leave. The turnover with them is very high and generally the ones that stay are rewarded with our thanks, brass and a strong sense of satisfaction in helping the 2nd amendment. But the turnover rate and lack of trained individuals out there with a volunteer only force HAS been communicated to the administration and they acknowledge that. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Alright, now that I have made ALOT of folks mad or whatever (and I personally don't care), I really don't care if I get my job back as a RO, I just want folks to be able to shoot out there or get a refund. All I have been hearing for the past two months is scuttlebutt from folks that either have only came out to EC once every so often, or they don't work there or whatever. And how the rumors flow... Realistically, I am about 5 minutes from sending in my official "take my name off the list of folks to call for work at the range" request at this time. I am tired of babysitting folks out there (and believe me, most folks are okay, but there are a lot of people that come out that need to be breastfed :( ) only to be left high and dry by some button down shirt, wingtip admin dude that makes three times what I do at my regular job and does 20 hours worth of work.

I enjoyed the job, I enjoyed my time out there, but it's gotten to the point where the admin doesn't care. Email the crap out of them, heck, I think there is a lawyer who has a season pass that got screwed, so he is thinking of getting fired up (DON'T PM ME FOR INFORMATION ON HIM, go to Premier Arms and talk to them, they know him...). Lots of options right now for you guys and I wish you the best in that regard... :yesway:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Wait. What? Could you repeat that? :):

At this rate, maybe the range will open right about the time it closes to the public for the season. :rolleyes: ;)

lol

Anyway, UPDATE (getting it from the horse's mouth, not it's ***): We did get an email today, looks like they found a contractor (NO, I DON'T have details yet) to run the range for the civvie side. They are still discussing the details of hiring/volunteers/infrastructure, but I think it will be opening relatively soon (and sooner than folks think...).

Got SIG?

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In response to Diposable Hearts long post: Forget the range...run for President (of the USA that is) I love the direct approach devoid of lies and BS! And yes, I am one of those that only made it to the range about once or twice a year...couldn't get away from the three little ones more than that, but, always had an excellent experience with the RO's and truly appreciated their time, effort, and sense of humor! Thanks so much to the one's that talked the talk and walked the walk. You know who you are, you made a difference. Semper Fi

Last edited:

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was really looking forward to shooting there. I heard it was a nice range, but with all this going on looks like I will have to find a new place.

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    Disposable Heart has certainly got better information about the situation than I have and is more level-headed to boot.

The city wrote back and offered me a refund on my multi-visit pass. I'll probably take them up on it.

IndyMedic: it was a nice range. If it ever re-opens, you should check it out.

Top Bottom