• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've seen the acrobats do the flip and catch well.

Then again, I've seen the muzzles pointed at people during that "cool guy" process. ;)

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ok, for the sake of discussion. Those people who had their ammo explode, did they eject their round the proper way? Mechanically, an ejected round shouldn't detonate, unless ejected the wrong way. (recoil spring too strong the slide returned too early and caugt the but of the ammo and hit the primer in a weird angle) Or if it was handloaded, they loaded it in a way where the primer is way too deep and really sensitive to any rear pounding or an overloaded/overcharged or very undercharged (someone has a theory about the latter).

And if that is really the case, where, it'll just randomly explode, it would have been prevalent over the years of incidents like that happening. Yes, I'm not discounting it happens but when it did, it has to be an operator error, whether through the process of ejecting the round or how the round was reloaded. But is common not to admit that it is human error when it occurs.
    You have been a little quiet this winter. I figured you'd come up with a new topic to get underwear bunched up

Your lack of originality is disturbing :)

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I started to write a response, then I thought. Am I this bored? Yes. Yes, is the answer to that, unfortunately. Then I thought, does this merit a response? No is the answer to that.

Then I wrote this and hit Post Reply anyway.

JFC, spring needs to arrive soon.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Only the cool kids can eject and catch their round. Even cooler kids can identify their own ammo on the ground... it really helps if you cast and coat your own..;)

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I would not suggest doing this. I personally witnessed one go bang while a guy had his hand over ejection port. It wasn't pretty. Wasn't catastrophic, but still want pretty
    Obviously a NG. This is not a reason to Not catch your Round, as described but a reason to pay more attention and make more attempts to not pull the trigger when you don’t mean to.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    Obviously a NG. This is not a reason to Not catch your Round, as described but a reason to pay more attention and make more attempts to not pull the trigger when you don’t mean to.
    This falls under the extremely rare, but was imparted to us in RO class. There is a chance, albeit small, that the slide releases, catches the round just right and detonates basically in your hand. It would be lightning strike odds, but I've had two OOB detonations with a PCC while shooting. The shrapnel that came out the ejection port across my eye line made me pee a little. I would imagine this could be similar. I would not want my hand near it.

I knew this was going to come up. Way to go mongo.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Ammo acrobats are fun to watch on the playground but display and enable very poor street habits.
    Why just last week, the ASP guy had a video with a person lying dead in da street, unloaded round still in his hand. I could tell it was Brazil, because there was a Pistol Puritan standing over the kilt body in Gaucho boots shouting "Finger!" in perfect Portuguese.

Puritanism transcends national borders, and need not stop at death.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Why just last week, the ASP guy had a video with a person lying dead in da street, unloaded round still in his hand. I could tell it was Brazil, because there was a Pistol Puritan standing over the kilt body in Gaucho boots shouting "Finger!" in perfect Portuguese.

Puritanism transcends national borders, and need not stop at death.

:horse:

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    This falls under the extremely rare, but was imparted to us in RO class. There is a chance, albeit small, that the slide releases, catches the round just right and detonates basically in your hand. It would be lightning strike odds, but I've had two OOB detonations with a PCC while shooting. The shrapnel that came out the ejection port across my eye line made me pee a little. I would imagine this could be similar. I would not want my hand near it.

I knew this was going to come up. Way to go mongo.
    Its been awhile so I figured I would just dive in.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    The incident I witnessed the guys finger was off the trigger. When he went to eject the chambered round the primer struck the ejector.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    The incident I witnessed the guys finger was off the trigger. When he went to eject the chambered round the primer struck the ejector.
    I really want to know the lightning strike chances of this.
    I mean really. The positioning, the energy in the ejector/slide needed to set the primer off.

Wow. I mean literally/ mathematically what is the chance ?

Top Bottom