• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I was taught that putting your head down near the ground where all the muzzles are pointing might not be the smartest move. Most of my training was on hot ranges, and usually there was a rule forbidding picking up loose rounds (e.g. from tactical reloads or malfunction drills) until it was verified that everyone was holstered and hands off the gun. Then we'd walk the range picking up expended brass and ejected live rounds as part of the clean-up.

I rarely had a problem figuring out which 9mm rounds were mine. 7.62x39 tho….
    So you don't pick up your empty mags either?

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    I really want to know the lightning strike chances of this.
    I mean really. The positioning, the energy in the ejector/slide needed to set the primer off.

Wow. I mean literally/ mathematically what is the chance ?
    To tell you the truth I know another guy that its happened to twice. so it happens more often than you think it does.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I really want to know the lightning strike chances of this.
    I mean really. The positioning, the energy in the ejector/slide needed to set the primer off.

Wow. I mean literally/ mathematically what is the chance ?
    About as much as getting struck by lightning. Then again, I don't walk around in thunderstorms holding a metal pole.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I will happily dump up to eight rounds on the ground to make sure my gun is clear. I usually have no trouble identifying them and picking them up after the reholster. Your experience may differ.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Also some ranges prohibit catching or blocking the ejection port during unload & show clear.. & they may also prohibit picking up brass ( & dropped rounds) until after the match..
    I'm too lazy to pull the USPSA rule book before I get more coffee, but I'm thinking that the add on individual range rules are a no no??

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I'm too lazy to pull the USPSA rule book before I get more coffee, but I'm thinking that the add on individual range rules are a no no??
    Safety rules can be range specific.

This is not the only case I have heard of this happening..

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Safety rules can be range specific.
    3.3 . . . Host organizations may not enforce local rules except to comply with legislation or legal precedent in the applicable jurisdiction . Any voluntarily adopted rules that are not in compliance with these rules must not be applied to USPSA matches without the express written consent of the president of USPSA. All local rules allowed under these provisions will be documented at USPSA HQ.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Can't you just tip your gun sideways over a barrel and eject carefully such that round falls onto the barrel?
    I have never seen any club place a barrel at the end of a COF where UASC happens. I have been an IDPA SO since 2007 so I have run a lot of people in those years. Personally I wish everyone would just eject onto the ground instead of catching it in the air or ejecting into their hand over the ejection port. That is what I would like but nothing in the rule book against it so OK as long as they don't sweep themselves.

Top Bottom