• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Not sure if this is the right section, but here we go.

Over the summer I built a side charging ar-15 in 762 with a fostech binary trigger. Bear creek arsenal upper and lower.

Went together perfectly fine. Shoots like a dream.

So the other day. I pulled the rear takedown pin. Opened it up to oil/clean it. Since I was teaching some buddies how to clean their ar's. I opened and closed mine many times and it always slapped back together perfectly.

So as my pals were busy Cleaning. I popped mine back open. Pulled the bcg out and gave it a full cleaning and oil'ing.

However, I put bcg back, they little screw that holds it in at the back when to close it and it plain won't close properly so I can put the rear pin in place. I made use the flat part of the screw was down so that's not blocking me. If I remove the bcg the rifle goes together perfectly. The moment I add it it won't close. The three of us tried for more than 30 min could it get it together right.

Any of you had this problem? Did I over look something dumb?

Tia

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    However, I put bcg back, they little screw that holds it in at the back when to close it and it plain won't close properly so I can put the rear pin in place.
    This is the part where you lose me. :)

The "little screw" on the BCG? Or like a detent pin? Can you try the BCG in a different rifle?

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    I'll preface with saying Bear Creek is gross, their side chargers especially so.

But in any case

Is the bolt in the unlocked position when you put it back in? If the bolt is locked it won't seat in the chamber and the receivers won't close.

How does the BCG look? Is the gas key lose and not nesting over the gas tube and preventing the BCG from seating?

When putting the "gas plug" or whatever its called in the rear of the upper, did you fully screw it in and back it off to the flat or did you just slap it on however? BCA says to bottom it out and unscrew only until the flat is aligned.

If you're getting it together without the BCG, my guess is the BCG is the issue.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah you lost me at Bear Creek. Sub-par. But it's yours and if you like it I am glad.

I have a side charger and I know what you are describing but man put up a pic or 5 please.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'll preface with saying Bear Creek is gross, their side chargers especially so.

But in any case

Is the bolt in the unlocked position when you put it back in? If the bolt is locked it won't seat in the chamber and the receivers won't close.

How does the BCG look? Is the gas key lose and not nesting over the gas tube and preventing the BCG from seating?

When putting the "gas plug" or whatever its called in the rear of the upper, did you fully screw it in and back it off to the flat or did you just slap it on however? BCA says to bottom it out and unscrew only until the flat is aligned.

If you're getting it together without the BCG, my guess is the BCG is the issue.
    I did exactly this. I'll check the key.
    Yeah you lost me at Bear Creek. Sub-par. But it's yours and if you like it I am glad.

I have a side charger and I know what you are describing but man put up a pic or 5 please.
    I have two bca uppers. I like em. They run well. But thanks for the input.
    A pal is going to take a look. If we can't figure it out I'll post a video of the problem.

I thank everyone for your input.

Sorry I wasn't better at describing that screw thing. I'm not sure of it's technical name.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I did exactly this. I'll check the key.

I have two bca uppers. I like em. They run well. But thanks for the input.
    A pal is going to take a look. If we can't figure it out I'll post a video of the problem.

I thank everyone for your input.

Sorry I wasn't better at describing that screw thing. I'm not sure of it's technical name.
    Well, either way, thanks for stopping by to give these gents an opportunity to crap on your rifle.

The internet is a giver.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I didn't feel attacked.
    It's all good. Those guys are super jealous their rifle doesn't have a bear on it (rawr)
    Yeah, years ago, I got minor crap for the deer on the side of my lower.

These days, nobody remembers anything about the brand of lower I use anymore, nor care, nor should they.

It goes bang very reliably.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Rough crowd tonight. If you were near me I'd be happy to take a look.

I dont own any complete uppers or lowers from BCA, but I do have a couple barrels from them that have been very good to me.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So the binary trigger has this little doodad that catches the bcg so it can operate. It was catching just right to prevent it from closing. We were able to get it back together.

So soon I'll hit the range to ensure it operates as needed before my hunting trip.

Thanks for all your input

Top Bottom